to LEO's/fellow security officers and guards

This is a discussion on to LEO's/fellow security officers and guards within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am very familier with working with a protectee, a client or their property on my own and with a partner or multiple officers. I ...

Thread: to LEO's/fellow security officers and guards

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

to LEO's/fellow security officers and guards

I am very familier with working with a protectee, a client or their property on my own and with a partner or multiple officers. I have worked at large air shows, marathons, and race day events here in town while a member of the CAP and NSCC, I have done collage campuses as well. Heres where I do not know how to work. The detail I am supposed to work without going into much information is on a collage campus during a food giveaway/ meal for the homeless. I do not have much information or training in how to deal with a large number of homeless people. I know that some of the homeless can be more dangerous than a normal person due to mental illness or the need to fight to survive on the streets. Is there anything I should do or have my team do differently in this situation vs any other event with a large number of people, or should I treat it the same way. IMO this is a very high risk event due to the demographics of the crowd being homeless and desperate vs. middle class at an event or a druggie or criminal on the street. Would you handle it differently than any other large gathering, if so how?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Be extra alert for shanks. Control the line so they don't mob the serving area.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

i had actually been thinking about shanks today, i was thinking about how to control the line without coming off like a gestapo
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Carry a can of Bud Light if things go south toss it,their attention will be diverted and you can egress safely in the opposite direction
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Carry a can of Bud Light if things go south toss it,their attention will be diverted and you can egress safely in the opposite direction
    Or a bottle of Thunderbird!
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    While I've never worked the security side of things I have worked events for the homeless in the past. They are getting something for free and usually listen so they can get their free stuff. Most homeless know how to work the system and will behave until they get their free stuff. I would say that you biggest concern will be to break up any squabbles after they get served.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Are you going to be able to be armed on a campus?
    Taser and chem spray/gel might be a good addition for LL options.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Cool

Always know where each of your team members are and always let them know where you are. Be polite and firm just as you would with any other group. Sometimes the college students can be more of a problem then those groups from the outside. Keep a positive attitude and watch you and your team members backs. If you can work in pairs do so.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

dunndw, we have quasi-LEO authority and powers on campus due to the wording of the contract entered into by IMPD and the campus, any subcontractor hired for security by IMPD, provided they are certified to carry their weapons on duty, are authorized any weapon we are trained on and authorized to act on IMPD authority. For me that includes my ASP, OC/CS, firearms, and tazer. Our company does not issue tazers, we provide our own tazers, so i dont have one yet. We enforce state, local, and federal laws on campus with Marion County and IMPD backup

Links