Pacific Theater photos lest we forget.

Pacific Theater photos lest we forget.

This is a discussion on Pacific Theater photos lest we forget. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; about 110 real nice photos no real gore just a lot of history.... http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...ers/#more-1547...

Thread: Pacific Theater photos lest we forget.

Thumbs up Pacific Theater photos lest we forget.

about 110 real nice photos no real gore just a lot of history....
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...ers/#more-1547
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lest we forget. Many of those pictures are new to me. In fact, there are only a few that I recognize, such as the listing USS Arizona bellowing with smoke. I don't believe I knew that 80% of her crew sunk with the ship.

As a people, we are not who we used to be. When the men of this country are forced to fight for our existence again, we will have renewed vigor for the perseverance of the United States. Way too many people just want to give/piss it away in the course of showing how progressive they are. Those people have forgotten the sacrifices of all those that have bled and died for the future we now callously forsake.

Thank you for sharing.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Ex Member
    Wow. A lot of those I have never seen before. Every time I see a pic of the Marines on Guadalcanal I look for my father, who was wounded there.

Thanks for posting.

They can never be shown to much. We can never forget. I will never forget.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

+1 on not having seen many of these before. Just created a new folder on my HDD.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Thanks for posting! We are losing them fast, may we never forget.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sponsor
    It makes me proud to be American. I'm downloading them fast.
    Go with the glow

VIP Member
    The first time I flew into Hickam AFB was in 1975 and to this day I still remember the bullet and shrapnel marks on the PACAF headquarters building and my instructor informing me they were left as a reminder of Dec 7 1941.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My current base was the first place attacked on December 7th, there are still a number of reminders around here.

I've talked to old WW2 Leathernecks before, who insist that the fight we are fighting now is harder than theirs was, not a snowball's chance in hell I believe that. Those guys are all heroes.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thank you for this. THough not in any of the Photos, my Dad was at many of the places pictured. Lyate Gulf, Luzon, Manilla Bay, Iwo & Okanwa.

In the little town of Diboll, Texas I have the blessed privilege of knowing a lady that was a Phillippene POW at Manilla. Only a young girl then but she remembers the ships that liberated them.
    I have several of the pictures.
    Thanks again.
    Son of the Greatest Generation.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    My current base was the first place attacked on December 7th, there are still a number of reminders around here.

I've talked to old WW2 Leathernecks before, who insist that the fight we are fighting now is harder than theirs was, not a snowball's chance in hell I believe that. Those guys are all heroes.
    +1000, When I was on my way home from fort benning I had the honor to talk to one of these gentleman saying that what I have involved myself with is more challanging then what his was, I said that I only had been to BCT and am still in high school and there is no chance that what he went through was lesser then what im doing... I hate it when I'm in uniform and people come up and shake my hand, some in tears and offer me dinner, knowing that some soldier overseas right now deserves the thanks and the meal, not me. Especially the older vets... I dont know what to say , Im glad that these men of the greatest generation pushed on through the hot weather, grime/mud, lost of fellow serviceman. They had to stay there until the war was over for most of them... There is nothing in the world that can repay these men for what they have done. God Bless every single one of them.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    +1000, When I was on my way home from fort benning I had the honor to talk to one of these gentleman saying that what I have involved myself with is more challanging then what his was, I said that I only had been to BCT and am still in high school and there is no chance that what he went through was lesser then what im doing... I hate it when I'm in uniform and people come up and shake my hand, some in tears and offer me dinner, knowing that some soldier overseas right now deserves the thanks and the meal, not me. Especially the older vets... I dont know what to say , Im glad that these men of the greatest generation pushed on through the hot weather, grime/mud, lost of fellow serviceman. They had to stay there until the war was over for most of them... There is nothing in the world that can repay these men for what they have done. God Bless every single one of them.
    I bolded part of your post, as you can see. Here is my view on it, while I sometimes get somewhat embarrassed when it happens to me, I try to be gracious. I've been that poor grunt downrange twice now, living in a hole I dug, eating MRE's and all that joy, sleeping way too little, walking way too much. Obviously they can't ship me the meal, but if someone back home wants to buy even the greenest, straight out of boot camp Private a dinner, I hope they do. It's the thought, and I'm sure it makes them feel a little better about their day. I just hope that Private is humble enough to know that gesture represents a lot, and is gracious when he accepts it. I wouldn't want him to turn down a free meal, feeling he doesn't earn it yet, because he will earn it, and when he does, he may not be able to get it.

Just my opinion on the matter. Not everyone in war is a trigger puller, but us trigger pullers need everyone else in the service in order to do our jobs to the best of our ability. The tip of the spear is useless without everything that comes behind it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks for linking to those photos! Some very moving pictures among them. My wife and I both come from strong military families. My great uncle made 5 or 6 of the pacific island campaigns including Siapan, Tarawa and a couple other noted ones with the Corps.

My wife's father served in the pacific for his Navy tour. We have a knife he made by hand when he was 19 years old, after a Kamikaze plane hit their ship. The blade is made from a piece of the steel deck of the heavy cruiser he was on at the time, and the handle is made from pieces of aluminum from the wreckage of the Jap Zero. It has a stacked plastic handle made from a piece of the planes canopy. He made the molds and then melted the lexan to encase a piece of red painted aluminum, all scavenged from the plane. He later served on the Missouri and was present with the ships company when the surrender was signed on board.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links