Hawaii Vacation?

Hawaii Vacation?

This is a discussion on Hawaii Vacation? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, Need some help with this one. I don't like HOT. Since I've been to hell and back (Combat Vet, Iraq 2003) I really don't ...

Thread: Hawaii Vacation?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Hawaii Vacation?

Ok, Need some help with this one. I don't like HOT. Since I've been to hell and back (Combat Vet, Iraq 2003) I really don't like HOT.

But

I want to take my very special most wonderful person in the world to me (My Wife of course) on a vacation to Hawaii. Why Hawaii? I dunno - that's just what her answer was when I asked "Where is whole world if you had a choice - would you want to go on vacation too one day?"

So - What month is off season (if there is such a thing) and what time of year is pleasant but not HOT?

And - any suggestions (links) to a travel agency or vacation package you'd recommend?

It'd help if whoever answers has actually been there but I'll gladly read any advice from anyone who's an experienced traveler even if you haven't been there.

Oops: PS - How much Total $$$ would you think it'd be for a week there?
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    My understanding is that they are a pretty constant mid 80s... year round, kinda like San Diego, so, there really isn't a season, cause they are all the same, probly the best time is late spring, after easter/spring break, but before kids get out of school for the summer, that should be the lowest traffic, IMO
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I have been there for a week, but my recollections are vague. Everything is expensive. They have very strict and sometimes unusual weapons laws so check these befor going. We were on Kaua'i and stayed in a rented condo rather than a hotel, as the price was better considering facilities. Sorry, that's about the best I can do.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    If you don't want to spend a ton of dough and are on active duty or retired, you can stay at the Hale Koa hotel. It is a military only resort (similar to Shades of Green at Disney). Also if eligible you can fly free via military space available flights.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I've been based out in the Hawaiian islands on and off for the last 2 and a half years or so, the weather is pretty constant, usually in the high 70's or low 80's, with rather high humidity, and it rains every day for about 5 minutes. During the rainy season it rains a lot more, sometimes for the whole day. But it is a very different heat than Iraq, and no where near as hot, (I hated the Iraq heat too). But it isn't too bad here, unless we are running around in full combat gear for training or something.

I will say this, I am not a big fan of Oahu, where I am stationed. There is some really cool stuff to do, and I wouldn't want to come visit Hawaii without seeing Pearl Harbor, but generally everything is really crowded, and traffic sucks. My parent's came out when I got back from A-stan, and said they were glad they came out, but didn't feel the need to ever come back. Oahu is crowded, traffic sucks, and the culture is very Asian based, which makes some Americans kind of uneasy. The cost of living out here is also pretty high, so your costs will be ppretty high for a trip. Gas is going for like 3.30 something a gallon these days out here. But if you would like to know more about things you should do on Oahu, feel free to ask, I've done most of them.

The Big Island of Hawaii is a lot less touristy, has a black sand beach, and an active volcano you can go see the lava flow from. Unless you get in the mountains in the middle, most of which is a military training area, the weather is pretty decent year round.

Everyone I know who has been to Maui has said that they like it better than Oahu, but I haven't been myself, so I don't know. But I have heard it is less crowded.

If you think of any questions feel free to ask, I'll try and find out an answer for you.

Here is a link for who is eligible to stay at the Hale Koa that CT-Mike brought up: http://www.halekoa.com/rooms_reserva...ligibility.cfm
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I was there for two weeks in January and from what I hear that is the best time to go. We went to Oahu and the southern beeches were almost empty. The Northern beeches were a little more crowded because that is the surf season but it only attracted professional surfers as the waves in January on the island are some of the largest in the world.

Other than that it was really quiet and we had a lot of fun. We stayed with an Army Officer friend who had a nice house on the bay and it was just beautiful to be able to sleep all night with the windows open and listen to the birds and have soft summer breezes coming through the windows.

There were some local burger joints we went to and we did our own surfing and playing on the Marine Corps base's beech which was empty but for two armature Marine surfers and the motard running in the surf with a pack filled with sand and rocks.

We went and saw the Arizona monument and all the Pearl Harbor exhibits which had very few other tourists.

From what I hear those winter months are the best time because kids are in school and most people are recovering their finances from the holidays so they don't plan vacations around that time.

It worked out good for us and the weather was fabulous the entire time. It rains a lot but only on one side of the island at a time it seems. So if it starts raining on "your" side of the island just go to the other side and you will have clear skies...lol

Senior Moderator
    My parents have been to every island in Hawaii and they say Kauai is the most beautiful and tourist-free island in Hawaii. It is a lot more "native" but very quiet and peaceful and a great place just to rest... not much to do though so if you like night life or shopping or shows or whatever, Kauai is probably not the best choice though if you are just looking to get away and relax my parents SWEAR by Kauai.. They call it Hawaii's best kept secret.

I found the Big Island disappointing. Very touristy and not much to do. We drove the loop around the entire island, saw the black and green beaches, the volcano, and the ranches all in one day. I did an all day scuba dive trip and was sorry I spent the money. Very little sea life compared to other places. Most of the scenery was lava.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Just looked at another option - a Cruise from California thru the Islands and back. Not too shabby a deal looking at prices and benifits of doing this via a cruise ship. What'cha think?

http://www.hawaiianaircruises.com/sc...atecode=&dsc=y

Other packages just posting this one as an example.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Ok, Need some help with this one. I don't like HOT. Since I've been to hell and back (Combat Vet, Iraq 2003) I really don't like HOT.

But

I want to take my very special most wonderful person in the world to me (My Wife of course) on a vacation to Hawaii. Why Hawaii? I dunno - that's just what her answer was when I asked "Where is whole world if you had a choice - would you want to go on vacation too one day?"

So - What month is off season (if there is such a thing) and what time of year is pleasant but not HOT?

And - any suggestions (links) to a travel agency or vacation package you'd recommend?

It'd help if whoever answers has actually been there but I'll gladly read any advice from anyone who's an experienced traveler even if you haven't been there.

Oops: PS - How much Total $$$ would you think it'd be for a week there?
    I went to HI in April. It was close to Easter. It seemed like 1/2 the visitors were from Japan and the other 1/2 were from CA. It was busy but not crowded like Vegas. I went to Waikiki. Maui is popular but seemed too laid back for me. The weather was not hot. It was a constant low 80's with a very mild breeze. All doors are wide open since there are no bugs. There was a light rain every morning at about 10 am for about 15 minutes. The rest of the day was warm and sunny. We visited the north side of the island and it was cloudy and much cooler, low 70's. The water temperature in the Pacific is colder than around the Bahamas in the Atlantic. It was a fun trip and we found all the hotels restaurants and businesses to be friendly and welcoming of tourists. I would definitely go again. BTY, I did not find it to be nearly as expensive as some people say.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Just looked at another option - a Cruise from California thru the Islands and back. Not too shabby a deal looking at prices and benifits of doing this via a cruise ship. What'cha think?

My mother took a Holland America cruise around the islands. She said the food on the ship was good. I would expect more older people on certain cruises.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member

Back in the mid '90s we flew from DFW direct to HI, then boarded a cruise ship that went from island to island. I thought that was a good way to do it, we saw and experienced a big cross-section of many of the islands in a week. At each island stop an itinerary was available for tours to choose from; or do your own thing; or just stay on the ship and relax. Flew back to DFW when it was over.

I don't remember the weather being hot though we went during the summer, in fact I remember being pretty chilly on an overcast day.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My roommate went at the end of the summer. he says it rained and such but it seems like it did not bother him, the whether was better than Nanking so he was happy. He just saw the tourist sights and stayed at the beaches. Did a lot of people watching to from the sounds of it.

VIP Member
    I was stationed on Oahu for two years. The weather is always warm. I'm not a big fan of that island for above reasons as well, although Pearl Harbor is worth seeing. You can get 'Island hopper' flights fairly cheap, although I recommend going with a tour package. Every island has seedy areas, and you're better off seeing the Hawaii that you're already picturing in your mind. Get a direct flight if you can. Stopping thru San Francisco makes for a long day. Coming back east is even more brutal with the time change. If I were to do it again, I'd look at the cruise package that you mentioned (I've never been on a cruise as a civilian ).

Didn't read the posts, just the title....got me thinking about my honeymoon. Stayed here: http://hotelhanamaui.com/accommodati...FcNe7AodmEI9bA

I must say it was the best trip I have ever taken (save the flight home the airline was HORRIBLE)

Hana is amazing.....away from all the crowds of the big islands....no tv in the rooms....Hana Highway is a blast to drive on and then we did a tour of Ono Farms (http://onofarms.com/).....have never tasted fruit or coffee that good!!

I am fighting the urge to go back next year, I want to try somewhere else.

But as far as temperature, it was like 80 but it was comfortable, as in Spring time in AL kind of comfortable.

I hope this helps a little and that you have a great time there
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Sponsored Links