A way to end piracy.

A way to end piracy.

This is a discussion on A way to end piracy. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seeing all these stories about piracy around Indonesia and such made me remember a scene from an old John Wayne movie. Any one remember "Operation ...

A way to end piracy.

Seeing all these stories about piracy around Indonesia and such made me remember a scene from an old John Wayne movie. Any one remember "Operation Pacific" where Wayne is a submarine officer in WWII? There is a scene where the sub commander is killed by a cargo ship that has hidden guns to lure subs in range and sink them with all the guns hidden behind fake panels. That's what we need to do. Rig out a small freighter to look loaded with cargo, have several fake panels with 20mm cannons and other armaments, along with several dozen Marines and S.E.A.L.s, and when a boat of pirates come along side, just open up. Leave whats left as a warning for other pirates. Be as ruthless and coldblooded as they are.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Hanging of all pirates as they're found ensures each will not pose a threat in future. It was once the law of the seas to do just that. Instead, we jerk around with the "legalities" of it all.

We'll never see oceans devoid of piracy, so long as there is such high value available for the taking. Heavily-armed ships would make a lot of sense, were it not for the extreme costs involved. Today, basically insurance covers much of the lost value. It seems to me that it's considered simpler and more expedient than outfitting vessels with the means of repelling invaders. Seriously, even in the Gulf of Aden, it's an incredibly huge expanse of water with a large number of high-value ships in the lanes. Doing just what you're suggesting has proven difficult (via the use of military ships and "SEALs").
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Saw a show about our navys deployment with Seal Teams,usually by the time the Seals arrive the Pirates have thrown their weapons overboard,no weapons no crime,they gotta let them go,they weren't real happy about it,but that's the rules
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Saw a show about our navys deployment with Seal Teams,usually by the time the Seals arrive the Pirates have thrown their weapons overboard,no weapons no crime,they gotta let them go,they weren't real happy about it,but that's the rules
    This is an old saying that has been modified a little:
    If a pirates' ship was sunk and nobody saw it, did it really happen? ;-)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    From what I've heard, part of the problem is that the big wigs who back the pirates also get information from port authorities. A Q ship would be discovered and a description passed around. That said, I think an arms locker and a bunkhouse inside containers on top the other containers might be an idea. I think the real problem with properly arming a defensive force, is back blast.

And the liberals would call it entrapment, but we actually did this in WWII to entrap subs as I understand it mostly in the pacific though. N yes I suggested this over a year ago as a viable soulution....... On a side note the British are looking into hiring mercenaries to put an end to it.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Saw a video a few weeks ago where a Russian patrol boat came upon some pirates. The only english that was spoken had one of the pirates saying that "We are a fishing boat" and the russian saying (as he ws standing over a PILE of guns.)"NO, you are pirates." The next scene is at night and a boat is buring fiercely on the ocean.
    I sent it to a Russian buddy of mine and asked him what happened. He told me that the pirates were left on their ship and the Russians sank it.
    That will stop recidivism also.

Yes; I too have advocated Q boats for several years, I doubt anyone outside of the Russians have the balls to do it even if it is an established tactic of naval warfare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship

Links