Jeff Bridges as Marshal Cogburn ?!?! - Page 3

Jeff Bridges as Marshal Cogburn ?!?!

This is a discussion on Jeff Bridges as Marshal Cogburn ?!?! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Personally, I like the western genre, but I'm so picky that I can't stand watching old westerns. Cavalry troopers carrying 1892 Winchesters in 1865, Indians ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Personally, I like the western genre, but I'm so picky that I can't stand watching old westerns. Cavalry troopers carrying 1892 Winchesters in 1865, Indians portrayed by white actors with shoe polish smeered on their faces, horses that are all trimmed and filled out, everything so "clean", etc.

I just like the newer westerns--of good quality-- that have a little more attention to detail and try to look more authentic. Now I liked John Wayne, in his better movies, don't get me wrong--then man COMMANDED the screen, but like someone else said--that doesn't mean I have to hate the remake--it's about the story, not the actors.

With so many lame stories coming out of Hollywood these days, there are actually a lot of Westerns that would make good remakes.

VIP Member
    I saw the trailer the other day and I was thinking it looked like a good new western. I was pumped. Then at the end it says True Grit and I thought NOOOOOO!

I'll wait and see it when it comes to my redbox.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

they won't outdo the Duke.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Who they going to get to replace Charlton Heston in Ten Commandments when they remake that one?
    Knowing Hollywood it would probably be Sean Penn or Tom Cruise.

I can hear John Wayne telling Jeff Bridges now too "FILL YOUR HAND
    YOU SON-OF -A -*****"you can't fill my boots!
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    +1 for Tom Selleck, Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot, Robert Duval or even Bruce Willis. All Pro 2A. A good director would have been John Milius.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I tend to agree here pilgrim. I thought Bridges was an anti too.
    I do not know and have not found anything about him being ant-gun but his brother, Beau is anti-gun as was his late father, Lloyd.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    +1 for Tom Selleck, Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot, Robert Duval or even Bruce Willis. All Pro 2A. A good director would have been John Milius.
    Besides Tom Selleck and John Milius, are the 4 others really 2nd Amendment? Is there any proof of that? Just asking as I am a skeptic. Kurt Russell goes boarhunting but it does not mean he is pro 2A. Look at Kevin Costner. He owns guns for hunting but he is anti-gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Besides Tom Selleck and John Milius, are the 4 others really 2nd Amendment? Is there any proof of that? Just asking as I am a skeptic. Kurt Russell goes boarhunting but it does not mean he is pro 2A. Look at Kevin Costner. He owns guns for hunting but he is anti-gun.
    Well, It's a good question. I don't think most of them want everyone to know about their private lives. Some of them got busted for drugs in their past and might not be able to carry even if they want to. Others probably walk the walk and talk whatever their PR agent tells them is best for their image off screen.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Who in their right mind wakes up one day and thinks "I'd make a better Rooster Cogburn than John Wayne"?
    It's not a question of "a BETTER Rooster Cogburn", it's a question of a DIFFERENT one. You either dig The Coen Brothers, or you don't.

John Wayne was a great American character,but he isn't the only possible American.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Minus 1,000,000 for ANY actor reprising the Duke's role for which he won Best Actor.

Is nothing sacred?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I like Jeff as an actor and think he would do well in this roll. Many of the Hollywood People are anti-gun and bleeding heart Liberals and I really hate what some of them stand for but I try not to let this get in the way of their talent and entertainment value for what they do. After all they are playing a roll and just entertaining me at that moment. I can name a dozen or so that I would love to have a verbal confrontation with but it would be a waste of my time. I go way back to the early 1950's and have always loved the Western Movies and I think I have seen just about all of them because they were my favorite. Having said this, John Wayne was never one of my favorite Actors in any of his Movies. Even though I enjoyed many of his movies, I just did not think he was a great actor. I think Jeff will be very good for this roll as would many of todays actors so I don't see what all the fuss is about. If I had to choose my viewing based on my personal likes or dislikes of the people who play the rolls, then I think I would have seen only Half the Movies in my lifetime and that would have been a shame. Just my Opinion guys, so just enjoy the Movies. //END//

For me, no one will ever replace the duke in any of his western movie roles. Especially the really memorable ones like this one. When I see the commercial where Jeff bridges says ( I can do nothing for you son. ) reminds me of the Grandfather from Pawn Stars giving Chum some grief.... I'm sure Jeff does a fantastic job as he's one heck of an actor IMO, but the duke is irreplaceable IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I could maybe see Kurt Russell. He did wear an eye patch as Snake Plisken in Escape from New York.
    Don't forget, Russell played Wyatt Earp in Tombstone

But to me, nobody that's living today plays the old west cowboy/gunslinger quite like Sam Elliott!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Don't forget, Russell played Wyatt Earp in Tombstone

But to me, nobody that's living today plays the old west cowboy/gunslinger quite like Sam Elliott!

Yes, I forgot about Earp. I think of Sam Elliot more as a TV actor. Then again, so was Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood and Sellick (sp)
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links