Best Childhood Christmas Gift Ever & Sentimental Gun Favorite!

This is a discussion on Best Childhood Christmas Gift Ever & Sentimental Gun Favorite! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi Everybody!! I was wondering what the best Christmas gift (ie I'm thinking toys here, guns included to keep this relevant to this forum! ) ...

Hi Everybody!!

I was wondering what the best Christmas gift (ie I'm thinking toys here, guns included to keep this relevant to this forum!) was that you ever received as a child AND what is your most treasured handgun/rifle in your collection & why.

The best Christmas gift that I ever received was an Odyssey2 videogame system on Christmas, 1982. Similar to the Atari 2600, but I liked it better.

The most treasured handgun in my collection is a Colt Challenger .22 that had belonged to my grandfather. My grandfather passed away four years before I was born, so I never had the opportunity to meet him, and the Challenger is the only possession of his that I own.

Merry Christmas (early) and Happy Holidays, folks!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Cant comment on chrismas,but my most treasured gun would have to be my S&W .500.It is extremely accurate and is so damn fun.

The memorable Christmas gifts of years gone by include a Flexible Flyer sled, and a double-holster rig for my Fanner Fifty.

The sentimental favorite in the collection is a Winchester 1890 in .22 Long; it was my grandfather's from when he lived in the Denver area in the early 1900s. Blessedly it is in excellent condition for a 100 year-old gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my sentimental favorite is my security six, it was my grandfathers and i got it when i turned 18
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Favorite gift was my Remington Nylon 66 .22lr rifle when I was ten years old. Still have it, still killing bunnies with it. Most sentimental is my 1875 Colt Frontier Six-Shooter in 44-40, handed down from my great grandfather.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Best Childhood Christmas Gift Ever & Sentimental Gun Favorite!.......

Hard to name just one; got the traditional Daisy BB gun when I was 4, got the Remington single shot that was dad's at 7, both at Christmas and I have his Browning Auto 5 12 ga. Don't know what happened to the BB gun but I still have the 22 & Browning and both are sentimental.

Dad was literally on his death bed, I asked him if he had any idea what he was starting by giving me that BB gun; he just laughed and shook his head, he went into a coma 6 hours later and died a few hours after that.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My favorite gun was one I didn't own. It was my grandfathers Winchester 1873 with a 5 digit serial number. It was to be passed on to me, but unfortunately was destroyed when my parents house burned down a few months back.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I was lucky enough to be born at a time when toy guns were an acceptable part of our culture. I received many as Christmas gifts during my childhood:
    Thompson submachine gun - pull back the bolt, pull the trigger and it made a shooting sound. Very accurate copy of the real thing.
    Man from U.N.C.L.E. pistol set
    Fanner Fifty cowboy pistol
    Air rifle - looked somewhat like a Winchester. Cock the handle to load air into the gun, pull the trigger for a loud "pop". Often called "pop guns"

Those were the good old days...
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Christmas 1958 I was 12 years old and after successfuly completing an NRA safety course at the local National Guard Armory I got a Marlin 39-A Golden Mounty .22 cal lever action rifle.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

When I was 10 years old my older brother (14 years older) bought me a J.C. Higgins .22 rifle. It was a single shot, and you cocked it by pulling back the "knob". Many gophers met their demise from that little baby. My beloved wife has blessed me with the following guns at Christmas's past: Benelli 95E (.22) pistol, AMT Custom Shop 10-22, S&W 686+1, and last Christmas a Sako premier .270 with custom thumbhole exhibition grade walnut stock. I love them all, and can't pick a favorite, but I am going to keep my wife...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Well, I'll combine Christmas and birthday and the best of both for me since my birthday comes a week before Christmas. My birthday gifts were usually choose one of the Christmas gifts from under the tree. One year was different, and I got a Marlin Glenfield model 65C for my birthday straight up. Then I got a 600x refractory telescope for Christmas. My twelfth birthday/Christmas to be exact.

I can remember a complete football uniform when I was just a little guy, but I'm not sure that it beat the Hopalong Cassidy place setting I had as a kid...loved it.
    My favorite/most memorable firearm has to be the Marlin 336/lever action 30-30. I've had about 3 or 4 of them in past decades...the one I have in SS now will never be sold, just passed down.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Johnny Seven O.M.A. (One Man Army). Truly a great weapon. I never lost a battle!

Fanner 50; shot real plastic bullets from spring loaded casing, greenie stickum caps to make it go bang. My Grandfathers german luger, all parts numbered the same except for the magazine. No he confiscated it, not issued to him.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Links