Do you believe in "trophy" hunting?

This is a discussion on Do you believe in "trophy" hunting? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just a quick poll, since I am curious. edit: ack, realized I messed up the third option. By "kill an animal" I mean in the ...

View Poll Results: Do you believe in "trophy" hunting?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, it is ok to hunt animals purely for sport and trophies, as long as populations are not endangered.

22 28.57%
  • YES, it is ok to hunt animals purely for sport and trophies, even if populations become endangered.

1 1.30%
  • NO, if one kills an animal, it should at least be used in part for "useful" purposes like food.

50 64.94%
  • I don't believe in ANY kind of hunting.

4 5.19%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in "trophy" hunting?

Do you believe in "trophy" hunting?

Just a quick poll, since I am curious.

edit: ack, realized I messed up the third option. By "kill an animal" I mean in the course of the hunt - self defense is obviously excepted. And I am referring specifically to hunting, and not "varmint control."

2. Remove Ads

I said no, but I will be the first to admit to passing on some critters while waiting for one with a nicer rack. But as the season progresses I stop being so particular. But when the freezer is full, the season is over for me.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I said no, not because I thinkit is wrong to shoot a big boy, but if you only hunt to shoot a so called trophy. To me an animal is not a trophy, it is food or beast of burden. I know too many men who seem to measure their manhood by the size of the deer they kill. I killed all does this year, and would have killed a buck, but the shots were never right.

A true hunter interested in conservation and welfare of the species will do his part and kill some females to keep things in balance and the herd healthy. If there are an over abundance of does, it leads to continued mating later in the year than normal, and later than normal births of fawns. The bucks kill themselves by chasing all that tail and losing fat reserves, which can lead to their death in the harsh winter months, and the fawns that are born later may not be strong enough to make it thru the coldest part of winter.

It creates a bad situation for the deer herd, and can ultimately cause a population crash.

Only if it is for younger wives.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

It should be done only to be used as food and I so voted. The fact is I stopped hunting several years ago, even for food. I love getting out in the hills but I guess I just lost my taste for shooting animals.

By gosh, if you can't eat it, don't shoot it. I wouldmake an exception for ground hogs.........
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I'll just go ahead and post my vote based on a number of things.

YES, it is ok to hunt animals purely for sport and trophies, as long as populations are not endangered.

My reasoning behind this vote may have more to do with where we live...and deer specifically. In these parts, they are a nuisance animal. What I'll take down personally gets taken down for the meat and not the mount. In a way....I'm against game farming and paying for a trophy in a rather controlled environment. I think every true hunter should find what they're after in the wild and do their own work for the purpose. Again...this is going to rely mainly on where you live and conditions. Never waste edible meat...either leave it for the coyotes, or donate it to a local shelter. Sometimes it's what happens after the kill that's most important. Don't forget that there are still hungry right here at home. If you take a trophy, just remember that, and give credit where credit is due. I'm just saying......the only thing that could be wrong with a "trophy" hunt would be not finding a place for the other 90% of the take. Just my opinion. Plenty of folks in need especially this time of year.

RKM
    I voted "NO, if one kills an animal, it should at least be used in part for "useful" purposes like food."

I don't hunt. Never been into it. But I don't agree with trophy hunting. I do, however, think if you own a farm and varmint are destroying your crops, you have every right to kill them, because it's for a specific purpose other than "for fun".

Just my opinion of course. I love animals. I'd have a difficult time purposely killing something that's not doing me any harm. But I also love me some red meat, and deer meat :)

EDIT: After reading other posts, using the animals as a trophy is fine as long as the meat is used. I'm only against hunting for the sole purpose of using it as a trophy.
    Last edited by RKM; November 29th, 2010 at 12:07 AM.

I voted the first, by mistake, but I feel it's ok as long as the animal gets used for food.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I voted no, because the wording of the poll implied that the meat of trophies would not be used. I have laways been a meat hunter and you can't eat horns, no matter how big they are.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

^^ Correct. The first option is meant to imply that no meat would be used for food. For example, old African hunts where animals of all sorts were hunted simply for sport (or for the "trophy").

This still happens, but nowadays the hunters will donate the meat to a nearby village, who can survive off the meat for a few weeks. (this scenario would fall under the "NO" option). If you hunt and eat the meat, but also use it as a trophy, that still falls under NO.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I hunt on a family owned ranch, so we are big on the management aspect. Most of the bucks I shoot need to be culled...older spikes, missing brow tines, etc. and does. We of course shoot the cull bucks to get their genes out of the pool to help produce nicer bucks. I like taking a nice big buck every once in a while. I do eat everything I kill.

If I were hunting on a lease, I'd try to get the bigger bucks. I do see the side of trophy hunters, and I think that almost all of them eat the trophy deer they kill also. I am against someone shooting a buck just for the rack and not using the rest of the animal.

I do shoot coyotes just for sport, and also to keep our deer herd populated. I leave them lay. There's no useful part of them unless they have a nice pelt.

I shoot feral hog for population control. Used to eat them, but the meat isn't very good, and we shoot too many of them. They are destroying the land, so we shoot them for population control.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i kill an animal, i eat it, unless its a dog or cat i kill in self defense, snake is especially tasty cooked on an open fire, and yes i have actually eaten a snake, the meat was mostly all muscle, no fat, and it tasted better than any chicken i have eaten, at least in my opinion.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Don't forget the garlic and butter for sauteing the snake. MMMMmmmmmm
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I hunt for trophies, yes, but I'm not gonna shoot anything if the carcass won't be harvested. If I shoot a trophy deer or turkey, it will be eaten by someone and it will be mounted. If the freezer's full or if I won't be able to donate the meat, out comes the camera.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links