Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf - Page 2

Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf

This is a discussion on Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'd like to have seen a bad mama cow arrive and intervene in behalf of her 3 day old calf. The word BARBARIANS comes to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf

VIP Member
    I'd like to have seen a bad mama cow arrive and intervene in behalf of her 3 day old calf.

The word BARBARIANS comes to mind; didn't Jeffrey Dahmer get his "start" by torturing animals?

I deal with a lot of livestock and companion animals, and have for a long time. I won't be putting any of them down with a shovel or any other inappropriate device, nor will I allow it to happen in my presence. As I see it the animal should be put down humanely and to me a shovel, whether it's only one blow or multiples, is not my definition of a humane method.

IMHO the penalties should sharply rise for multiple (chronic) offenders.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sad thing is, I am an Investigator for Child Protective Services and if someone beat their kid there is a chance they will only get probation or not even get criminal charges filed. I do not believe in beating animals or children but it is a sad day when we hold animals in a higher state than our children. I have seen first hand people not feed a dog and go to jail and parents not feed their children and only get the child taken away to go and have another and do it again.

Obviously some have switched to the dark side, sad and sick and in need of more than therapy than provide...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    Sad thing is, I am an Investigator for Child Protective Services and if someone beat their kid there is a chance they will only get probation or not even get criminal charges filed. I do not believe in beating animals or children but it is a sad day when we hold animals in a higher state than our children. I have seen first hand people not feed a dog and go to jail and parents not feed their children and only get the child taken away to go and have another and do it again.
    In full agreement. And it is well documented that very many animals are better fed than many kids. And worse, many animals get better medical care than many kids. Given both facts, I'm not much interested in what "animal rights" folk have to say.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'm not defending what the guy did, but I absolutely disagree with criminalizing these acts to the level of a felony punishable by 5 years.

Animals aren't people.

That same cow could be legally killed with a bolt through its skull. It could be legally killed with a knife to its throat. Neither of which are especially nice, but acceptable in our society.

His big crime was stealing the animal; deserving of whatever punishment fits stealing something with that particular dollar value.

His big moral failing was beating it without mercy. He is dirt. But, the cow is property, not a child, not another human.

What's next, punish someone who doesn't take care of their gold fish?

There's a peculiar slippery slope here. We need to decide which if any animals have what rights if any. As far as I'm concerned I'd extend some protection to the major companion animals-- dogs, cats, horses. That's about it. And even then, crimes against animals should be low level misdemeanors.

We've got plenty of people who have harmed other humans who have received lighter sentences.
    That is my thoughts on this topic.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Stealing livestock should still be a hanging offense and i'll donate the rope!

When killed with a bolt or having its throat cut it doens't get beat to death! Also its not at the ripe ol age of 3 days either it is at slaughter time to be used for? You guessed it food. This guy did not own the animal, wasn't starving so he didn't kill it for food and I don't care if they don't ever let his worthless butt out of jail. I've been kicked, stomped, and ran over by numerous cattle and killing it with a shovel just didn't come to mind. Have you seen the cattle prices lately that calf was worth some money too.

When killed with a bolt or having its throat cut it doens't get beat to death! Also its not at the ripe ol age of 3 days either it is at slaughter time to be used for? You guessed it food. This guy did not own the animal, wasn't starving so he didn't kill it for food and I don't care if they don't ever let his worthless butt out of jail. I've been kicked, stomped, and ran over by numerous cattle and killing it with a shovel just didn't come to mind. Have you seen the cattle prices lately that calf was worth some money too.
    The guy who stole that calf and beat it to death is a very sick puppy. I could care less if they throw the key to his cell away.

About 30 years ago an OK rancher accosted four cattle rustlers who were loading up his cattle. They made a mistake of shooting at the rancher. The rancher killed all four with an M1 rifle or M1 carbine. The sheriff and prosecutor wrote off the rustler killings as a really bad case of mass suicide.

GM
    I hope the authorities forget to release him after 5 years.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post

I'm right there with you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I don't like it when one person's actions is considered a predictor for the rest of his or her life. I grew up with a large family of 10 that like to set snakes on fire the only reason I no
    is we'd have the City fire truck come up on the road 3-4 times a year.I think back then if the firetrucks came to the same resident more than 5 times in one calender year you would be
    fined.Anyways the youngest took it one step further he decided to set the family dog on fire. Luckly for the dog he didn't burn a large area :size of the bottom of 2 litter soda bottle.
    The event would have gone unpunished but the local press got and animal lovers demanded the dog be removed from the home
    .The young man got 8 months in Youth Center.

Stupid IMO. Not going to need a whole page on this one. A man's heart is judged upon his treatment of animals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links