Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf

This is a discussion on Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This dude needs anger management, bad. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...in_prison.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf

Angry Man gets 5 years in prison 4 beating a calf

This dude needs anger management, bad.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...in_prison.html

2. Remove Ads

Anybody that can beat a defenseless animal to death is a sick demented POS,I would have doubled his sentence,I see Domestic Violence and child abuse in his future
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Anybody that can beat a defenseless animal to death is a sick demented POS,I would have doubled his sentence,I see Domestic Violence and child abuse in his future
    I agree with this wholeheartedly.
    However, the law allows me to shoot and kill animals to defend my livestock, but not humans. I say if a human is that sick in the head, they are suffering from lead deficiency just the same as any no-good livestock runnin dog.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Anyone beating animals is only a step away from doing the same to humans. Locking this guy up may actually save some lives.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What a scum bag! I hope he never has any children!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Another sick POS who needs some holes COM. How sickening.

VIP Member
    He got of pretty light. I would have voted that he be beaten to death with a shovel!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    "The others lied the whole time," added LeBlanc, who wore a black-hooded sweatshirt and dark-blue jeans to the hearing. "(Prison) would ruin my life completely. I have a kid on the way. I could not do that."
    He should have thought of the consequences beforehand, regrettably he has already bred.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

LeBlanc helped Dwayne J. Jenkins, 36, and Carnie B. Smith, 29, steal the 3-day-old calf on Dec. 19, 2009, from Folsom's Red Bluff Farms, famous for a petting zoo frequented by schoolchildren. They dragged the animal to the parking lot of a nearby apartment complex on Louisiana 1078, where they had attended the Saints party.

There, LeBlanc pummeled the calf with the shovel until it died while Jenkins and Smith watched, according to authorities.

Eventually, St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office investigators were led to the men. Jenkins and Smith pleaded guilty to their roles and received two years of probation in October from state Judge Martin Coady.
    3 of them .... 2 on probation and 1 with 5 yrs, which will be shortened ? I don't think I can comment.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Thats sickening and this guy should be beat with a shovel also. A 3 day old calf really? Man I'd hate to see what would happen if I caught someone beating one of my calves. They guy that tried to steal one two years ago looks like a saint to this guy and I was on the warpath then. Some people.

VIP Member
    I'm not defending what the guy did, but I absolutely disagree with criminalizing these acts to the level of a felony punishable by 5 years.

Animals aren't people.

That same cow could be legally killed with a bolt through its skull. It could be legally killed with a knife to its throat. Neither of which are especially nice, but acceptable in our society.

His big crime was stealing the animal; deserving of whatever punishment fits stealing something with that particular dollar value.

His big moral failing was beating it without mercy. He is dirt. But, the cow is property, not a child, not another human.

What's next, punish someone who doesn't take care of their gold fish?

There's a peculiar slippery slope here. We need to decide which if any animals have what rights if any. As far as I'm concerned I'd extend some protection to the major companion animals-- dogs, cats, horses. That's about it. And even then, crimes against animals should be low level misdemeanors.

We've got plenty of people who have harmed other humans who have received lighter sentences.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    We've got plenty of people who have harmed other humans who have received lighter sentences.
    I must disagree. Identifying other areas where our legal system severely lacks, does not justify going easy on a crime of this type.

I do see the point that you are trying to make. We don't want a situation where people go to jail for forgetting about the gold fish when they go on vacation, but again, one situation is not analogous to another. This isn't about the rights of the calf, it is about the shocking and demonic behavior in how it was tortured/killed.

What this dirtbag demonstrated was extreme sociopathic behavior. It was a act that portrayed a lack of moral boundaries that even most animals have. I believe that he proved himself to be a potential great menace to society and needs to be taken out of it (I won't mention my preferred method).

^^ I agree. I think the justification here is not so much the fact he killed a non-human creature, but that he shows significant and undeniable risk of sociopathic behavior. In theory, the prison system is there to keep proven dangerous people off the streets (and not for "punishment). This sentence reflects that.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Anyone beating animals is only a step away from doing the same to humans. Locking this guy up may actually save some lives.
    Amen, and over a football game ? Why not a bull or a animal that wasn't defenslis ? What Punk, enjoy your bunkmates their in good company.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    ^^ I agree. I think the justification here is not so much the fact he killed a non-human creature, but that he shows significant and undeniable risk of sociopathic behavior. In theory, the prison system is there to keep proven dangerous people off the streets (and not for "punishment). This sentence reflects that.
    Here's the problem with what you are suggesting. It seems tantamount to "predicting the future." We don't put socipoaths in jail merely for being sociopaths. If we did, I'd have a few former bosses doing time.

We put people in jail for the harm they do to other people; committing violence against them, threatening, or doing property crimes against others; stealing, fraud, trespass.

What you and others are saying is that since the person involved here seems to clearly be a nut job, it is OK to punish him TO PREVENT FUTURE BAD DEEDS.

I agree that the behavior was reprehensible. I agree that this person is someone who deserves having an eye on him. But, I don't agree that crimes against animals are equal in any way to crimes against humans or that his crime against an animal absolutely 100% means he will commit a crime against a human.

Don't get me wrong here. Society has some right to be upset with and punish what the guy did. Society has a right to be cautious about this individual. I'm just concerned about the boundaries and where they are drawn.

e.g., I left a dog at a ranch while I was out of town. The rancher asked me which vet he should take the dog to if it became sick. Well, I love my dog, but I'm not interested in running up vet bills into the hundreds of dollars. So my answer was use your judgment. If you think it is necessary my feelings won't be hurt if you euthanize (some prefer the term euthanatize) it with a shovel or a .22. I don't think that one good well aimed whack with a shovel to a 20 lb dog is inhumane. It is probably as quick as anything else. Yet, with our laws as they presently are and with the sensitivities some people have, the shovel probably wouldn't be acceptable if the act became known publicly. As it turned out that wasn't needed and dawg is happily lazying around the house somewhere as I type. I'm just concerned with the slippery slope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links