Golly gee willikers, Batman -- India Air

This is a discussion on Golly gee willikers, Batman -- India Air within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Report: Co-pilot moved seat, sent jetliner plummeting http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/30...ting/?hpt=Sbin The co-pilot of an Air India Express 737 sent the jetliner into a terrifying 7,000-foot plunge in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golly gee willikers, Batman -- India Air

Report: Co-pilot moved seat, sent jetliner plummeting

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/30...ting/?hpt=Sbin

The co-pilot of an Air India Express 737 sent the jetliner into a terrifying 7,000-foot plunge in May when he accidentally hit the control column while adjusting his seat, investigators report.

According to the report from India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation, the co-pilot panicked and was unable to execute the proper procedures as the jetliner dropped from 37,000 feet at a 26-degree angle. The plane and its 113 passengers were saved when the pilot, who’d gone on a bathroom break, used an emergency code to get into the locked cockpit, jumped back into his seat and grabbed the controls to bring the plummeting plane out of its dive.

The aircraft would have broken apart if the descent had continued, the aviation agency report said. The aircraft was not damaged and no one was injured, the report said.

After the pilot, 39, regained control of the plane, he told passengers, who were in the middle of a meal when the jet plunged, that the plane had “went through an air pocket and that is why there was a rapid descent,” according to the report.

The aviation agency report concluded that the 25-year-old co-pilot had not been trained in the specific scenario the jet encountered and “probably had no clue to tackle this kind of emergency.”

Neither the pilot nor co-pilot were named in the report.

The Air India Express flight was en route from Dubai to Pune, India, on May 25 when the incident occurred.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I bet this guy is now working the phone line for Apple Computer repairs...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That failure in training would be extremely unlikely in the US commercial fleet.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The aviation agency report concluded that the 25-year-old co-pilot had not been trained in the specific scenario the jet encountered and “probably had no clue to tackle this kind of emergency.”
    Right, because it is possible to train for the scenario where you move your seat and clumsily hit a critical control, right? I guess you could, but who would?

I'm sure the pilot was also not "trained in the specific scenario." But he did what pilots are supposed to - suck it up, calm down, and take control and figure out what is going on. You don't just freeze up and say "oh this wasn't taught in class!"

I hope that co pilot has his career ended after this. He has no place in a cockpit after being unable to fix his error.

I also hope the Indian pilot's license training still isn't broken like it has been. Basically, far fewer hours than pilots in somewhere like the US are required to do. It probably is, though. Find the right instructor, slip him a few rupees... license!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So basically he pushed the 'stick' forward and couldn't figure out what happened, or how to pull it back? Did they hire him off the corner right before the flight? Was his name Manuel, Jose or Jesus by any chance?

Or was he a failed Jihadist that got caught in the act?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Pulling back on the control thingy is just too hard to remember
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    This reeks of a copilot who had no business being alone in the cockpit. While I am not familiar with the flight controls with commercial airliners I do know a C-5 with the autopilot engaged, normal at cruise altitude, takes much more than a bump to override the controls and cause an uncommanded dive. Even if the autopilot is manually overridden once pressure is removed it will return to the preset altitude.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's if you can get the C-5 off the ground. :D

Agreed, this isn't rocket science. Although, 26 degrees nose low is pretty steep for an airliner. Perhaps his seat was jammed forward. Perhaps he was clutching the family jewels.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Part 2. After the Polit brought the plane under control the Co-Point had to excuse himself to use the bathroom to clean himself up.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Pulling back on the control thingy is just too hard to remember
    Precisely....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I never got around to taking flying lessons, but I did start reading about it. When a plane goes into a steep dive you can't just pull up on the stick, because the plane can't handle the forces. So there is a technique for recovery. But I can't imagine a copilot not being trained for that scenario. I believe it's a requirement for any pilot here. Perhaps one of the pilots on this forum can correct me.

I've only flown small single engine planes, so I don't know the procedure for an airliner, but pulling back the stick on the smaller plane was the procedure needed lol. but pulling an airliner out of a steep dive, yeah that would put a ton of stress on the frame. slow the descent, then slowly level out.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Right. I am not a pilot either, but I definitely dont' dispute that recovering too quickly would put too much stress on the aircraft, and that continuing that descent could have also put too much stress on the frame.

I would imagine the "OH NO PLANE IS DIVING" emergency recovery should be pretty standard stuff for any pilot training. Even if it wasn't, a pilot should have enough knowledge to be able to figure out how to handle the situation.

Too bad Leslie's not around anymore to give inspirational words

I have to agree with retsupt99. The Co-pilot is now the expert computer repair tech for Dell Computers.

This is very strange. As a pilot, I find it a little difficult to believe that this scenario happened as reported. I would assume that at cruise altitude the PIC (Pilot in Command) would have had the autopilot set and functioning. If this is so, then the yoke should be (generally) unresponsive for a push or pull.

Even the autopilot in my C-172 has this feature, making it difficult for this to happen as described. Maybe the co-pilot turned off the autopilot and was flying manually? I find that unlikely.

Anyway... pilots rule of thumb for yoke control: Push forward and the people on the ground get bigger. Pull back and the people on the ground get smaller. Keep pulling back and they get bigger again!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links