Acceleration

This is a discussion on Acceleration within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Borrowed... I have no way to determine if the following is really factual but amazing nonetheless! There are no rockets or airplanes built by any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceleration

Thumbs up Acceleration

Borrowed...

I have no way to determine if the following is really factual but amazing nonetheless!

There are no rockets or airplanes built by any government in the world that can accelerate from a standing start as fast as a Top Fuel Dragster or Funny Car!

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully-loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock, Dodge Hemi, V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full

throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg. F.

Nitro methane burns yellow... The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient

force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid for, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.

The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428 seconds for the quarter mile (11/12/06, Tony Schumacher, at Pomona , CA ). The top speed record is 336.15 mph as

measured over the last 66' of the run (05/25/05 Tony Schumacher, at Hebron , OH ).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter, 'twin-turbo' powered, Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not

only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

...... and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

The followin is factual.Have you ever been to the NHRA? If you dont have earplugs,your head feels like it will pop off.Its like having a heart attack when they go by.If your mouth is open,you can feel it in your throat.Them 8000 hp motors,when idlin,sound like a 572 Chevy runnin wide open.

its an amazing experience standing next to a top fuel dragster when it revs it suck so much air it darn near takes the wind out of you

Senior Moderator
    That is some pretty good g forces.
    I've been shot off of Aircraft Carriers by catapault and I dont think it was 4G's...more like 2G's I think. I remember it pushing me into the seat prett hard.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In the words of Ricky Bobby........."I wanna go fast!"
    LOL!

Nitro is yellowish in color, which may be part of the "Yellow Burn".
    Nitro is cut with alcohol (methanol) to achieve the desired percentage, which is measured with a hydrometer.
    Start up is usually race gas and switched to nitro after a few seconds.
    Nitro use to run around $30/gal, don't know what it is up to now.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Guess where a large percentage of nitromethane comes from?.... China.

Aside from a few questionable facts the O.P. is correct.

Ah the joys of a mis spent youth. Though I did meet the future wife at a dragstrip.

Here's one of the things we use to do at the strip.
    Attached Images

Nice looking piece. How big was that little block?

Never mind I just saw the corner of that valve cover, that ain't no little block. Always was a sucker for the Fiat's

331 ci early Hemi, 871 w/Shotgun. Mid 7's on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    331 ci early Hemi, 871 w/Shotgun. Mid 7's on gas.
    Blown on gasoline, that's a tough tune.

Tis true. We ran 18-21 lbs. Had a water tank/pump setup in the doolie, could cool the block without cooling the heads on quick rounds. We tried additional injectors into the heads but never could make it work, not enough O2.

I was the "monkey" on a TAD. 500inch KB, 8-71,birdcatcher. All I had to do was drive, pack the chute and look good. The life of a driver.

Somebodys got to be the star.
    I helped wrench on a Alky funny and a TFD for a while. Not big names just guy who liked to run. Fun times.

Oh how much i wish i loved publicity.Or how much i wish i could bring myself to buy a computer made later than 1655 b.c.Ive been into diesels for a few years,and if you never seen a 3 ton truck do 4 wheel drive donuts,you need to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links