BiFocal Contacts?

BiFocal Contacts?

This is a discussion on BiFocal Contacts? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I switch between wearing glasses and contacts. When wearing contacts I go the "monovision" route. One eye for reading (close up) and the other for ...

Thread: BiFocal Contacts?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

BiFocal Contacts?

I switch between wearing glasses and contacts. When wearing contacts I go the "monovision" route. One eye for reading (close up) and the other for normal distance vision.

I've been hearing more and more about how some people like the new (new to me) bifocal contacts.

Anyone here wear them? Comments???

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member
    For me, it gave me mediocre up close and mediocre far. I thought my night driving vision was really affected, lots of starburst effect (or is that affect?).

Having said this, I wore them for about a year, I was working in an office all dressed up in suits, fancy Italian leather shoes, and fake nails and was just vain enough to want to look good at the expense of super sharp vision. I talked a lot and went to many meetings so having just OK vision was alright. I would think that results are really determined by vision issues in general, so maybe I was a bad example of expectations.

Now I am happily wearing glasses with bifocals along with cammo pants, uggs, and nails are chewed up by gun cleaning and yard projects. My only meetings are with dog and hubby at the kitchen table, and they are fine with it. I've thought of trying them again, just for the sheer convienence of NOT WEARING GLASSES - being able to just wear regular sunglasses, etc. It would be a plus when out on the lake, skiing, and putting up with rain when working outside. Many things besides the vanity end of it which drove me to it the first time.

That's probably more than you wanted to know.

BiFocal Contacts

I have been wearing them now for about 6 months. It took about 5 months to narrow down the prescription. But I have to say that I really like them alot. More important, they give me a great range of vision at the range. I can see my weapon to reload and then focus on the target with no problems. Give them a try. It may take a few test pairs, but in the end I think you like them.

I tried them several years ago and couldn't get used to the way they act when you blink (rotating to try and get the heavy edge back to the bottom). As cammo girl said, vision was a compromise so I went back to bifocal glasses for the better vision correction and less hassle.

Got new bifocals a few weeks ago and was pushing the doc to write me up for cataract surgery. They put a replacement lens in your eye that replaces most glasses. I made the comment about only needing glasses for reading and he said no, now they put in bifocal lenses, but I can't have them yet. I think I need to get a consultation from a cataract surgeon. Somehow those making a living from it probably can see them better than one who makes his living out of prescribing glasses.

There is some good news for either monovision or bifocal contacts. If you wear bifocal glasses, you end up tilting your head back pretty far to keep your focus on the front sight of your gun. It is uncomfortable and really messes with your aiming ability. After a while it just hurts a lot. Monovision, with your dominant eye geared for near focus allows both the target and the sight to be in focus but takes a bit getting used to. The bifocal contacts should allow you to focus on either the front sight or the target without tilting your head and getting all bent out of shape to shoot. DISCUSS THIS WITH YOUR OPHTHALMOLOGIST. S/He can make some suggestions about which brand of bifocal contacts will work best for you. Some of the bifocal contacts really work quite well.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I never could get them to work, tried for six months with multiple brands. Even tried the monofocal route with no success. In the end I ended up with distance contacts and a set of reading bifocals for desk and computer work. For the range I have taken up point shooting with some success to ovrcome the vision issuse. A work in progress. I woiuld comment that my nearsightedness and astigmatism are quite severe, maybe with a lesser correction you can make the contacts work.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

what happens if you install them upside down?

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    what happens if you install them upside down?
    You can't. They are made with one edge (the one that should be at 6 o'clock) slightly thicker (looks like a crescent moon). The extra weight causes the lens to rotate to the correct orientation, at least in theory.

I have bi focal contacts and they are absolutely awesome!!

Interesting thread, I too, wear mono vision contacts and they have worked well so far. I didn't know they had bifocal contacts. hmmmm.....
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Sponsored Links