My growing hatred towards aggressive dogs - Page 2

My growing hatred towards aggressive dogs

This is a discussion on My growing hatred towards aggressive dogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Years ago when we first moved into the house, the wife had a mini Schnauzer that liked to take off. He found that unlike the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My growing hatred towards aggressive dogs

Years ago when we first moved into the house, the wife had a mini Schnauzer that liked to take off. He found that unlike the wife, I would run him down, slap his butt and take him home. I was working in the yard and the wife came out the front door and the dog slipped out and took off, trotting down the street and I take out after him. From the house across the street comes a dog, don't reacall the breed, about five or six times the size of the schnauzer and he is going to get to the schnauzer befor me. Within a couple seconds, the dog bites down on the schnauzer, schnauzer yelps in pain and my boot lifts the other dog a couple feet in the air. The big dog yelps and heads for home. As I turn to watch him go, I see the whole family standing in the yard watching as he runs home. I nod and wave. End of story.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I would say the issue is as much with the dog's owner as well as the dog. She obviously doesn't care what her animals do, so if she puts one into the position of getting pepper sprayed or...worse...then she has only herself to blame for the dog's bad behavior. She just doesn't seem to "get it" I believe and needs to learn to restrain her dogs.

Maybe a blunt face-to-face conversation and stern "I ain't joking" type warning may help. Then again, you may have to resort to what you've posted, and douse the mutt with OC spray. I prefer the 5-iron for the job myself although the non-golfers here in WV use the tire iron.

I feel your pain. I do property appraisal for an Assessor and have encountered a few agressive mutts. We don't carry any type of firearm or pepper spray, but I do have a 100' surveyor's measuring tape. It's in a hard plastic case with handle and can be swung just like a tennis racquet. It has saved me from a few bitting dogs over the years.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    The neighbor does not want to take responsibility for her dog's behavior, you do what you have to do to protect yourself. At that point, you should have no regard for what she thinks anymore. She has no regard for your safety, then have no regard for her dogs' safety in return, plain and simple. And start keeping a journal to log down every incident with her dogs. A hidden vidoe camera can go a long way too as well as witnesses. That way it can cover you in case she makes up a story and complains to animal control. Stop trying to be a good neighbor and start standing up for yourself. If you don't, she and her dogs are gonna run all over you and your wife for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    The neighbor does not want to take responsibility for her dog's behavior, you do what you have to do to protect yourself. At that point, you should have no regard for what she thinks anymore. She has no regard for your safety, then have no regard for her dogs' safety in return, plain and simple. And start keeping a journal to log down every incident with her dogs. A hidden vidoe camera can go a long way too as well as witnesses. That way it can cover you in case she makes up a story and complains to animal control. Stop trying to be a good neighbor and start standing up for yourself. If you don't, she and her dogs are gonna run all over you and your wife for the rest of your life.
    Reports to the locals will also help to log incidents. Most of us never want to get to the point of a bad decision. That's why i have more respect for most animals than their owners. Never let your feelings for the owner dictate your actions toward the animal. All the same....when you are threatened, don't hesitate. If there are serious doubts in your mind as to what you should do, then you're essentially playing games. Finish it or forget it. I love animals and dogs especially. Was bitten by a neighbor's dog that got loose when I was 13 years old. My mistake...I ran from it. I know more now than what I did then. I actually think I'll give more compassion to an animal than a human simply because the animals are innocent for the most part. Domestication makes the owner responsible for the animal's actions. I've laid sights on many a domesticated animal with their owner in tow. Truth of it is.......I know the owner is the one I should be aiming at for the threat. I've been there right in front of the owner who let their dog go without control. Last time I did it, the owner was begging me not to shoot the dog. The dog was out of control. But you know what? The dog actually backed off when it knew I was ready to down it. The owner was still freaking out. Who has more sense? The owner or the dog? I've got to respect the dog's innocence over the owner's irresponsibility. I'll down either one if it gets right down to it. Not much one for playing games myself.

Hide in the bushes and spray the dogs with a garden hose. Let the owner yell all she wants. If she calls the law, they'll just laugh in her face. Continue spraying them. They'll get the hint.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Don't they have pepper spray that has red dye in it? Mace him and give him a new paint job at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    Don't they have pepper spray that has red dye in it? Mace him and give him a new paint job at the same time.
    New paint jobs are favorite among more dog-tolerant livestock owners. When Fido comes home with a target spray painted on his side....

Call the a/c and complain, during business hours. Repeatedly. Ours is about as good as others posted about only catching dogs that will jump into their truck for them......but apparently the will come for complaints. Either that or ours just plain doesn't like me. Eh.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Or toss a hot dog wiener stuffed with a lot of nitroglycerin pills!
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Or toss a hot dog wiener stuffed with a lot of nitroglycerin pills!
    That will likely kill it, and if they find out you're the one, you get arrested for animal cruelty, and get to lose all your guns forever if that charge is a felony in your state.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That will likely kill it, and if they find out you're the one, you get arrested for animal cruelty, and get to lose all your guns forever if that charge is a felony in your state.
    Seriously, I'd never kill a dog. I'm really a dog lovin' person. However, in Louisiana, if an animal strays on your property, it becomes your property. However, I'm pretty sure you're right about the cruelty thing.... at least here.

Lead Moderator
    Yeah, it's one thing to have to shoot a dog or otherwise kill it in self defense, but to poison one, brings a bad stigma.

Now where I live, you can kill stray dogs or even pets if you fail to keep it restrained and let it continue to run loose for harassing your livestock, but again, most will shoot them. And most people will warn you a time or two if they know it's your dog because most of the ranchers are animal lovers too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Weather its the dogs fault or the owners fault makes no difference to me....I have ZERO tolerance for mis-behaving/aggressive animals. I have kicked, clubbed and shot many dogs over the past 20 years due to South Texas natives not believing they have to maintain control of their animals and allow them to run free and terrorize folks and trash the country side. I wont even go into all the livestock killed by these DOMESTIC/TAME dogs. I have kids and animals and their welfare and safety comes first.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

VIP Member
    Forget the dog and use the OC spray on the owner!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I could envision a poodle being drop kicked over the house. Football anybody?
    lol..."lines up from the 40... IT'S GOOOOOD!"
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Unfortunatly I've put down two dogs. Didn't feel great about it....but it had to be done.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ONG&highlight=

I'll never question the effectiveness of the 7.62X39.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links