If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

This is a discussion on If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by MadMac Dude - love your pedobear avatar. Well done! Thank you. I actually came across it on /b/. Wish I could claim ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Dude - love your pedobear avatar. Well done!
    Thank you. I actually came across it on /b/. Wish I could claim I made it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As for me I practice my draw fairly often and I feel pretty darn confident in my shooting abilities. Even with all that said I don't think I would pull with a gun pointed at me already. I would comply and hope for the best.

SA is supposed to prevent someone getting the drop on you. Once I'm under the gun I think, for me, I give them my wallet. There really is no perfect answer here and nobody can honestly predict the muggers response. You will just have to go with your gut in the moment.
    I think a wallet toss and running like hell might be the best answer, or pull and and hope to not go out like a viking might be the best. It will be an in the moment decision depending on your read of the BG.

One thing is for sure. You should have practiced your draw before hand because if you haven't you'll have one less option.

ETA: I'm going to add some personal experience here and hope nobody laughs at me. I played paintball as a top amateur and as a pro for about 7 years. I have been in a thousand gunfights (with paint) and I've learned a thing or two about how to shoot someone effectively.

The best way to shoot someone is when they aren't looking at you. When someone is looking at you and has their gun up it is a 50/50 affair. (Now this does assume they are equally competent and on a pro paintball field this is a safe assumption) . Half the time you get them and half the time they get you. Sometimes you get each other at the same time. IMO a 50/50 affair is not a good bet when real bullets are going to be flying around.

As someone once said "If you find yourself in a fair fight, then your tactics suck."

Cheat! Comply and shoot them in the back if you have to. Whatever you need to do! Just don't die!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Comply and shoot them in the back
    I have done that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    I have done that.
    Congrats. You just admitted to --if the DA is in a good mood-- manslaughter. If he is in a bad mood, murder 1.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Congrats. You just admitted to --if the DA is in a good mood-- manslaughter. If he is in a bad mood, murder 1.
    Depends on where you are and how you state your case. I think that in most places in America if you shoot an armed felon in the back while he's still just spitting distance away you'll be just fine. I have no crystal ball and I FOR SURE would still be in fear for my life at the time.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Go with what your gut instinct tells you. If you think giving them what they want will appease them and they'll leave, do it. If you think they are going to pull the trigger, whether you comply or not, do what you have to do.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Boy, that kind of attitude is gonna get you in a world of trouble. First of all, you have NO idea the military or martial arts training a mugger would have; if he shows that he only wants your money, then he is not a threat to your life. If you decide to "shoot him in a non-lethal place" just to protect your assets, you're going to prison, I promise that.
    I'm not saying to shoot or not shoot but that could be a deadly assumption on your part. I would never drop my guard so low that I would trust a criminals willingness to allow me to go away unharmed.

Michael

EDIT: I think it would be much safer to assume the worst of any criminal.
    Last edited by mlr1m; December 6th, 2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

I can't believe this discussion went this far without bringing up the Denny Crain way of handling it.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I would think that outside of a few of the forum members who truly take this defensive carry to a much higher level, most of the repliers, including me, are computer jockeys with big ideas but, when you take a step back and really think about this scenario. once you are in the process of actually being "mugged", your real and only course of action is exactly what it would be if you were not CC. Situational awareness has got to be the key; it is the ultimate precursor to real defense. The possibility that you can shoot from a pocket or carry a mouse gun in your hand that cannot be seen are possibilities but, I am not fooling myself--if someone is "on me" already--game is over for me.

DC Founder
    I have done that.
    I think you need to have added "with a paintball gun" at the end of your statement. Otherwise, nobody is buying it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    ...Situational awareness has got to be the key; it is the ultimate precursor to real defense.
    A very profound statement and is the core of what ccw is all about, is it not?

Without situational awareness, we are all just waiting to be targeted. It's our situational awareness that telegraphs to the wolves, that we are not sheep in the first place.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This recent news story is on topic...

LINK

...The victim pulled a concealed handgun from his pocket and fired at both suspects, who ran away.

Administrator
    If you practice shooting once a weak then why not just shoot the keys out of the hand that is holding them?
    With all of that weakly practice you should be able to do that and just hit the keychain without damaging the keys.

I practice shooting at least once a weak,and im confident that i could shoot someone in a non-lethal place to get my keys or whatever back.Ive done it before.

Ive also disarmed someone before,and would not hesitate to do it again.I know that sounds like suicide,but someone dumb enough to use a long range weapon up close is not going to expect someone like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I think you need to have added "with a paintball gun" at the end of your statement. Otherwise, nobody is buying it....
    No one believes that i shot an armed,drunk man in the butt when they turned around,while carrying my wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you practice shooting once a weak then why not just shoot the keys out of the hand that is holding them?
    With all of that weakly practice you should be able to do that and just hit the keychain without damaging the keys.
    There is a very thin line between risk,and stupidity.I would rather shoot someone in the ass from 50 feet away then risk missing and having a shootout.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links