If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

This is a discussion on If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Glocksin There is a very thin line between risk,and stupidity.I would rather shoot someone in the ass from 50 feet away then ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    There is a very thin line between risk,and stupidity.I would rather shoot someone in the ass from 50 feet away then risk missing and having a shootout.
    Oh, a big belly laugh. That was too funny! Thanks, that was priceless.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Of Course I was being sarcastic but, now I am being serious.

Glocksin - I see that your location is "Somewhere In Georgia" - I would strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself with the State Of Georgia laws as they pertain to self-defense before you just "type stuff" off the top of your head into DefensiveCarry forum posts.

In GA you need to be able justify your actions as being mandatory to having saved yourself from the assailant.
    In order to claim self-defense the act of self-defense should be plausible.
    Your act of self-defense needs to be proportional to the assault being perpetrated against you in order to have any real hope in the courtroom in claiming the incident as self-defense.
    In GA if you are being assaulted out in a public place then you are subject to a duty to retreat initially and are required to avoid the confrontation if possible & prior to acting in self-defense or with deadly force.
    You need to be very careful in claiming "self-defense" if you are the first to inflict physical injury and your responsive action would need to be considered to be reasonable and fitting the scenario or circumstance.

You really need to stop it with the Anonymous Internet Bravado and silly, nonsensical, postings.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Of Course I was being sarcastic but, now I am being serious.

Glocksin - I see that your location is "Somewhere In Georgia" - I would strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself with the State Of Georgia laws as they pertain to self-defense before you just "type stuff" off the top of your head into DefensiveCarry forum posts.

In GA you need to be able justify your actions as being mandatory to having saved yourself from the assailant.
    In order to claim self-defense the act of self-defense should be plausible.
    Your act of self-defense needs to be proportional to the assault being perpetrated against you in order to have any real hope in the courtroom in claiming the incident as self-defense.
    In GA if you are being assaulted out in a public place then you are subject to a duty to retreat initially and are required to avoid the confrontation if possible & prior to acting in self-defense or with deadly force.
    You need to be very careful in claiming "self-defense" if you are the first to inflict physical injury and your responsive action would need to be considered to be reasonable and fitting the scenario or circumstance.

You really need to stop it with the Anonymous Internet Bravado and silly, nonsensical, postings.
    I think he meant "I shot him in the butt at 50' with my paintball gun."
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    I hear ya. I'm seriously thinking about moving this entire thread on over into Off Topic & Humor & that would be Humor spelled with a Capital "H"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think he meant "I shot him in the butt at 50' with my paintball gun."

"I shot him in the butt at 50' with my paintball gun."
    man even i have done that. on purpose i swere. i didnt blindly fire when i was running away screaming like my sisterand get lucky.

Gecko45 lives!

Administrator
    Thread Moved To Off Topic & Humor Discussion.

I always liked the way ol' Captain Kirk handles it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0D78JtxmqI

Quote Originally Posted by snakatack View Post
    I always liked the way ol' Captain Kirk handles it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0D78JtxmqI
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by NYReload View Post
    What would you do if a weapon is drawn on you and yours is still holstered? Do you just give in and hope to be more aware next time? Or do you drop the money on the ground and pull your piece?

What if you're robbed from behind?
    I have been in front of a loaded .45 in a robbery situation and the bad guy said, "don't look at my face, turn around, do what I tell you and I won't hurt you". At that moment I decided to follow his instructions and I lived to tell about it. Having said this, I strongly feel that if I was approached with this same scenario 5 times, there may be several different results than the one I mentioned. I don't want to be overly analytical but I think there are too many variables to be able to predict exactly what you will do. It is a decision that you have to make in that instant when it happens. Just one quick example: If the bad guy was a young teen and you noticed the barrel of the revolver looked like it had a very small hole like a .22 instead of a big hole like a .45. Do you think this would influence you in how to react? Just think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I'd give him my wallet. There's nothing in my wallet worth taking a life or losing my life.
    And what keeps him from then killing you so there are no witnesses ? It's not an uncommon practice.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And what keeps him from then killing you so there are no witnesses ? It's not an uncommon practice.
    Life is full of taking chances. If you are already in the losing position, you take the chance of getting killed for no reason or not drawing fast enough. Your decision.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

There is a very thin line between risk,and stupidity.I would rather shoot someone in the ass from 50 feet away then risk missing and having a shootout.
    Man, you need to re-evaluate your thinking. Gunfights aren't much fun, and aren't something to take lightly. They are lots of fun with paintball guns though, but not so much when bullets are flying around you.

My advice to you, is to try and learn from this forum, and knock off all the bravado. Disarming an armed attacker is always risky, and not usually recommended. Am I trained to do it? Yup. Do I want to in real life? Nope.

Did you figure out how to carry your TRP at the gym yet, while still allowing you quick access?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    No one believes that i shot an armed,drunk man in the butt when they turned around,while carrying my wallet?
    No.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are techniques taught that teach you how to disarm someone, but you must do so while taking yourself out of the line of fire. It can be done from front or if gun is behind you.
    I saw a training video recorded of a trooper sucessfully doing this at a traffic stop, but he gave the gun right back to the perp, because that is what we do in training with the red guns to "do it over again with your traing partner".
    The perp was so totally caught off guard by this that he just stood there with the gun in his hand. The trooper, realizing what he had just done, repeated the drill, and this time, kept the weapon and cuffed the perp.
    This is a good example of training going good and bad.

When I was in Quantico, the FBI did a study that showed that the typical felon is programed to believe that you will comply with their demand based on they expect you to be fearful of them. It showed that when you calmy said"no" that their brain temporarily short circuits, giving you a fraction of a second to act. I am not advocating anyone to do this, but it is something to file away as another tool on a dire situation.
    The study was conducted for just the purpose of the OPs thread.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links