If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon? - Page 5

If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

This is a discussion on If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The difficult part is training this realistically for either disarms or DATD. The problem lies in the fact that in training the opponent knows what ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

The difficult part is training this realistically for either disarms or DATD.
    The problem lies in the fact that in training the opponent knows what is going to happen and watchs for arm movement and the fires at the first movement. This does not simulate reality, when the opponent does not know what is coming from the movement. This can be overcome by doing multiple repeats of a scenario, with some complying and some not. This is time consuming and the opponent may still guess which rendition will be aggressive. I devised a method to make the responses more realistic in the training environment. It takes about 0.2 seconds to say, " One, two." as fast as one can. This happens to be average or slightly better than average reaction time. By having the oppponent say "One, two." out loud prior to pulling the trigger, this comes close to actual reaction time, even though he knows what is coming. This saves on repeat scenario renditions and approximates reality in reactions and time frames, giving a more honest evaluation of performance.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Wow Gaunts you really put allot of thought into this. I hope you never need it. Stay safe friend.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I already have, that's why I put a lot of thought into it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I keep my money & wallet right here, in my waistband. Let me get it...

From behind? Did I forget to pay attention??
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

A lot depends on where you live if you can use deadly force to stop a theft.I live in Tx even after you've been robbed and the guy is trying to leave,I can stop him from leaving with my stuff.I don't consider a threat over just because some dipstick is leaving,my wallet has identifiers like my home address and if he took my keys he may be thinking about heading to my house to rob it before I get home.I may have a wife and kids in the house.If he didn't find my gun as soon as I get a shot he isn't leaving.
    Drawing against a drop depends on your skill level,a lotta black belts have been shot and knifed to death in confrontations
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Act dumb and hope for an opening. Nod to imaginary person behind BG, hope he turns his head.
    Realize that if I don't do something BG will have my firearm. (which is probably better than his)
    Draw, disengage safety, and fire. (my new updated plan )

Really? It's not like we've not been tipped off or anything.

lens17547915_1295405000dan-gable.jpg

bruce-lee.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I simply cannot answer this one. Too much depends on how and why it goes down.
    Spot on IMO. There's no cookie cutter reaction to that type of situation. If you allow someone to get the drop on ya, you need to play it out and look for the opportunity to counter and retaliate. If you choose to fight, I'd study what Mr. Guantes provided verbatim and it might save your life.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    People say if a BG pointed a handgun at them close range they'd do this disarm. What happens is they duck and run and go down, trying to get away from the muzzle. I've seen it time and time again. One vid had a LEO try and fight against a knife attack. He kept trying to draw his gun before he had created space and got stabbed. EVEN THOUGH he knew he had to create space using both hand and THEN draw. His 'go for the holster' (leaving one hand to resist) everytime.

Also, in many instances you can not move your feet when under the gun. Your disarms won't work if you can't get off the 'X'. What you do is palm your HG when your SA goes off, giving you the advantage - your hand in your pocket and finger near the trigger - he can't see you're already drawn down on him. Shooting through the pocket is a problem, so you may need to remove the gun to shoot the second round.

But learning elaborate disarms where you get 5 moves to his one are not realistic when you're "cold" and not expecting it. You may go into a type of shock and 'deer in the headlights'. I think with simmunition one might be able to functionalize the various gun disarms, but it's hard for civilians to acquire.

$.02

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links