If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

This is a discussion on If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What would you do if a weapon is drawn on you and yours is still holstered? Do you just give in and hope to be ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

If You're Being Mugged, Do you Pull Out Your Weapon?

What would you do if a weapon is drawn on you and yours is still holstered? Do you just give in and hope to be more aware next time? Or do you drop the money on the ground and pull your piece?

What if you're robbed from behind?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, by your scenerio, you're already behind the power curve, but if you can--yeah!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For me, from the front, probably this...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...The-Drop-(DATD)

From the rear, I have a couple things but, I would probably play it by ear.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    All depends. Anyone who would give a blanket answer is not giving sound advice. Lots depends on how well trained you are in various responses, how much danger you truly feel you are in--your assessment of the intention of the BG--H2H and knife options v going for the gun; these might have a speed and surprise advantage if you are positioned well. Your personality counts. How experienced you might be in other "combat" events. How quickly do you think help will arrive if you get badly hurt--regardless of your choice? There are simply too many individualized variables for anyone to make recommendations other than to do some scenario training with dummy knives, dummy guns, and learn what works and what doesn't. Me, I'd drop my money, bend down and beg for mercy, and when I stand up---I'm holding the BGs gun and he is on the ground (in my dreams). YMMV

Some great responses, esp. Guantes thanks for the link to your older post, it is very interesting. I guess my overall question is, I don't know how NOT to have the drop made on me. I get situational awareness, but say I see a guy who looks like a threat but has no gun, I can't just pull mine on him. I basically HAVE to let him pull his before I pull mine if I want NOT to go to jail for brandishing a weapon, and what if I'm wrong?

A weapon would be great if I get shot at which is the main reason of having one for me as I was recently threatened by a guy who said he would shoot me. At least I can fire back and not just look for cover while this guy gives chace, but what about other people?

Your welcome. I would look to a .38+P pocket revolver. You can have your hand on it and nobody knows. Firing/hitting from the pocket is relatively easy at close range. I had a friend who did a couple videos of it and it worked quite well.

I simply cannot answer this one. Too much depends on how and why it goes down. Where were you that you would be in a situation where someone threatened to shoot you? From your 2nd post it seems that this question is based on a recent occurance.

Wonder how many Bad Guys are reading these pages, same as us?

First of all, there are no guarantees in life. If you attempt to draw, it very well could be the last thing you do on earth. On the other hand, there are no guarantee's they won't kill you even if you comply. And that seems to happen with more and more regularity in the last couple of years.

Secondly, I would say, if you are a novice, and only practice your draw occasionally, your best chance of survival if the mugger has the drop on you is to comply and literally hope for the best. You must know that legendary gunfighters like Jelly Bryce who survived over 19 gunfights with the FBI, first of all, had a natural talent. Secondly he diligently practiced drawing in his office almost every day and was reported to have practiced as much as 6 hours straight.

Are you beginning to understand the commitment it takes to have the confidence and expectation of actually surviving a gunfight. Especially if someone has the drop on you.

Also, I believe a great portion of people have a hard time really understanding just how much "guts" or intestinal fortitude it takes to go ahead and make the draw against a gun which is already leveled at you. When you know deep inside, the end result for any mistake really means you'll likely lose your life, most people just don't want to take that kind of risk. They don't have to take that kind of risk in their daily life. They don't have that kind of responsibility with their daily job or occupation and when suddenly and without warning, they are thrust into a situation where their very life hangs on a split second decision, most people tend to choke. Once you start to make a move, and then hesitate, you're dead! Most people sheepishly give up the money and pray they will be left alone.

Carrying a gun and having the ability to take someone's life in an instant is as serious as serious can be, and yet I see so many people who seem to carry a gun because it's the cool thing to do, or because they have some abstract concept in the back of their mind that they can handle any situation which comes up.

Guantes has done some serious work and spent years developing a technique to DATD (draw against the drop) which works for him and many others, and is a solid piece of work and technique. Notice I said, has done some serious work and spent years. It is not something you read about, think it sounds cool and practice it 10 or 15 times and think you're going to save yourself if someone ever pulls a gun on you. I've been working on what Guantes has laid out for about four or five months. I have also practiced and been trained in other techniques over the years as well.

And again, don't discount the amount of "guts" it takes to even try it. If you don't possess that kind of guts against someone who may have killed people before in other robberies, you could very well end up having a bad day. Or your last day.

I train diligently against encounters up close and personal. I train against multiple opponents. I try to do as much force on force training with other friends but not nearly as much as I would like. I am committed to fight, and win. I am committed to sudden and explosive overwhelming violence of action. I have and do make life changing, life and death decisions which effects other peoples lives as part of my occupation.

And yet, I understand full well, that I'm going to draw against the drop, if at that moment I feel it's appropriate to do so. I am under no illusions that I will be the one walking away. But I've come to terms years ago, I am not going to let some stranger walk up to me and then negotiate for my life with a gun in his hand. If I die, it will be because of my lack of capability, or my bad luck and not his decision.

It's a serious business and deserves serious consideration. If you're not committed to train, train, train and train some more. It might be the death of you. No matter what you decide, I would be amiss and doing you a huge disservice if I did not tell you that you should seek out professional gunfight instruction. You will not believe what they are asking you to do and expect you to be able to perform until you experience it. I'm not talking about learning how to shoot a gun accurately. Although that is absolutely a prerequisite, but I'm talking about taking classes in defensive shooting. One that teaches tactics as well as techniques.

Good luck and hope I gave you something worth chewing on. Stay armed and stay safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was in that exact scenario 30 years ago....mugged at gunpoint from the back. I had zero situational awareness and I didn't carry yet. The guy so got the drop on me, it was classic textbook. I doubt it would have made much difference even if I was carrying unless I planned to drill him in the back as he ran away with my wallet and $24 cash. I luckily emerged wiser and lived to become situationally aware and to post yet another day.

Bark'n,
    Excellent. A serious look at what is involved in "gunfighting" up close and personal. In the middle of an attempt of this sort is a bad to find out that your resolve is not as deep as you thought and it might well cost you your life. That is why, within DATD I stated that it should be reserved for times that you believe that you life hangs in the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by NYReload View Post
    What would you do if a weapon is drawn on you and yours is still holstered? Do you just give in and hope to be more aware next time? Or do you drop the money on the ground and pull your piece?

What if you're robbed from behind?
    You play tactical at the time. Give in, then shoot them when they turn their back.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You play tactical at the time. Give in, then shoot them when they turn their back.
    I hope that was tongue in cheek.

Go to the blackboard and write twenty times-- "don't shoot them in the back."

It will look like pre-meditated murder; a vengeful act for having been robbed; the meting out of punishment. Bad move.
    Let them run. Big deal if they get my nearly empty wallet. Credit cards can be canceled. DL and CHL can be replaced. Oh, forgot. I can't let them get the SAM's Club Card.

I agree with playing tactical. A quick spin and disarm followed by kicking their teeth out (in my dreams).

Most likely, yes, if an opportune split second presents itself. Understanding that even if I score a good hit, without an immediate drop (which is unlikely unless you hit the spine), the BG may indeed return fire and it may be my final demise. So be it. I've faced what I thought was certain death already in my life, so each day since is a gift. I am at peace with whatever happens as long as I give myself a fighting chance.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A guy was walking down a busy main street here, and a guy came from behind him and stuck a knife to his back, and said "give me all of your money". The guy .... pulled his gun and shot the robber over his shoulder in the head , killing him.

I wouldn't try that, but he did.

This is way to situational of a question. Distance from you, where they are standing, what wepaon they may have, if they are paying full attention or not to every move you make or not, etc.

A guy came up to me... long story, and when I wouldn't give him any money decided to turn it into a robbery, and went to pull a knife out of his pocket while telling me "YOU WILL GIVE ME YOUR MONEY"..... at which point I took a stance and put my hand on my gun under my shirt and told him he better not remove his hand from his pocket. He was sure looking into my eyes to see if I meant it, which I did. He got the idea, although no gun was seen nor mentioned..... and left cussing and calling me every name there was, with his hand still in his pocket the whole way.

It also depends upon YOU. How fast can you draw and begin shooting, can you hit accurately and quickly, can you point shoot and unload your gun within 2-3 seconds accurately ? Do you really feel your life is being threatened and in danger.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links