Anyone still make a wind up watch?

This is a discussion on Anyone still make a wind up watch? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I see Kinetic and even Solar Seiko's now but is there a watch manufacturer that still makes a good quality wind up watch?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still make a wind up watch?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Anyone still make a wind up watch?

I see Kinetic and even Solar Seiko's now but is there a watch manufacturer that still makes a good quality wind up watch?
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Rolex!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Armyoutdoor.com has a wind up Vietnam Veterans Watch. Try punching "windup watch" and give it try.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Rolex!
    All you need is one of these.....Marathon TSAR, Rolex Deep Sea Sea-Dweller, Rolex GMT Master II (DLC), Omega Seamaster, Rolex Submariner
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

If I spend thousands on a watch, it better wind itself and make me breakfast!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Yes-- Last year my son gave me one by the brand name "ORIS." It was unfortunately fairly pricey. Though I do wear it every day, I do so only because I don't want the kiddo to feel like his gift wasn't appreciated. I'm not comfortable wearing something with that price even though it is in no way an ostentatious looking watch.

What ends up happening is that 3 to 4 times a day I switch off to a Timex or other el-cheapo digital. I find myself starting some work project and then remembering that I need to take my good watch off.

No traditional wind up watch is going to keep time as well as one with an electronic mechanism, and wind-ups require some maintenance because there are friction parts that wear and need to be cleaned.

My advice, stay with an electronic watch that is either inexpensive or mid-range priced.

Since you did mention not wanting the kinetic, I 'll add I have not had especially good luck with mine. It did last about 12 years, but had to go back for repair twice. The little capacitor that keeps the charge generated by the kinetic mechanism doesn't last all that long. OTOH, it kept perfect time when it did work. I'd probably spring for the cost of a third repair if I had not been given the ORIS as a gift.

Administrator
    The Nam era Govt Issue Benrus was a really good wind up watch. You can still sometimes find them listed new on Ebay.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I had not even considered if wind up watches were still about until you brought it up. I think I gave up wearing watches all together 4-5 years before I dropped the land line phone, and that was in 2005. I did Google it, I may have to get one now.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    I think I gave up wearing watches all together...
    That's a shame. The ladies love a nice watch. Mine gets complimented all the time, much to my wife's chagrin (and she's the one who bought it for me).

I love Fossil watches. Well made, nice looking, and most for under $100. I've had mine about five years, and it looks as good as it did after the first...

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    True that a quartz watch keeps as good or better time than a manual watch, but I appreciate the workmanship and intricacy of all things, watches included. No differnet than firearms. I also find it interesting that many firearm enthusiasts are also into collecting watches and quality knives.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Actually I was gifted two very nice skeleton self winders last year for Christmas by my daughter, beautiful works of art.... crystal front n back so you can see all the works....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Invicta makes quite a few nice mechanical watches at very reasonable prices.

Joe

Consider Pocket Watches.
    I carry one built in 1890 and it runs perfectly!

PMWF.com is a mechanical watch haven. You can find them from $60 up. I would also recommend Bernhardt Watch. He is an assembler in North Carolina. He get parts and puts them together. I have one that has a Swiss movement and a stainless case that is good to 300 feet. This has been the "go to" watch for several years. Be careful though, guns, mechanical watches and fountain pens all fit together well and they can get pricey! Cheers.

Many of the Seiko dive watches still use a mechanical movement. I wear a Seiko Black Monster every day, and go back and forth between the stainless bracelet and the rubber strap. It's too heavy to wear on a nylon Zulu or NATO strap. Most of the automatic Seiko dive watches can be found online for less that $250.00, and they're bulletproof. This thing has enough heft when combined with the crenelated bezel it makes a decent backhanded strike tool as well...

pic of the watch (not my pic)

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links