Warning: Electronic Pick Pocket

This is a discussion on Warning: Electronic Pick Pocket within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310 Watch out for anyone getting too close to your butt or purse - where ever your wallet may be....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning: Electronic Pick Pocket

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Warning: Electronic Pick Pocket

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Watch out for anyone getting too close to your butt or purse - where ever your wallet may be.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Oh, this is going to be interesting. I checked my cards and several have the little sound wave lines on them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    A recent episode of NCIS began by following an identity thief using this exact method...

Heck, someone at WREG probably saw the show and got the idea for this piece!

I don't have those "proximity" cards, but it does seem to me that you could carry a thin metal strip in your wallet to block the signal. Perhaps something simple like tin foil. My wallet folds over so a strip in the dollar section would be nearest the outside of both sides when folded over. test it by putting tinfoil over your card next time you use the proximity feature and I'd bet it will not see your card at all. In fact, the thing the guy is selling is a simple pocket to slide the card in that blocks the signal. My idea is cheaper.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    None of my cards have it. If any in the future do, I'll probably just destroy the rfid part.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Ex Member
    I had NO idea that kind of thing was available.

Forget stealing peanuts. I think the max is $25.00 on the RFID side of the credit card. My father told me never steal but if you do steal millions, steal it from a major corporation and not the little guy so if you get caught and have to give part of it back at least you have millions left.

I will share with you all promise to be good honest people.

How many people have a work id that works on a RFID where you need to place it near the fob on wall to get the door to release?

I met these people at a security trade show every nice people. It is a simple idea that works. I tried it myself at the show.

http://www.idstronghold.com/Secure-B...nfo/IDSH2004-/

This allows the card to slide out when you need it and secure the info when you dont.

You can purchase a cheap RFID reader and place it in the plastic smoke ashtray like this one. Prior to the start of the day.

http://www.goshopus.com/gsu_product_...0.CM30.2AB.htm or in the planter outside the front door of work.

The scanner will read everybodys id either on a smoke break or entering or exiting the building. Come back at the end of the day and pick up scanner.

Clone the cards that the scanner picked up. Enter the building and take what ever you want, Gain access to what ever files you want.

Somebody card is going to give you the clearance to access all the rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    None of my cards have it. If any in the future do, I'll probably just destroy the rfid part.
    Yup. Just cut it out. No problems...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Yup. Just cut it out. No problems...
    Well, unless its a RFID enabled passport, in which case its technically against the law to deface/alter the passport.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Just accidently put it in a microwave for a few seconds and all is well.

VIP Member
    I have one of the ID holders that his company sells. I had no idea what it did until now. I was just told to use it by my boss. I get it now.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Yep tin foil works fine. Take a cardboard ammo box, cut out some cards and wrap them in foil. Put one on either side of the inner pockets of your wallet. Costs almost nothing.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You know, you would think that some dumb ass would have been aware of this problem BEFORE issuing millions of the cards.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have one of the ID holders that his company sells. I had no idea what it did until now. I was just told to use it by my boss. I get it now.
    I do not not sell the ID holder. Just show them at security show. Yes you can place c/c in wallet with tin foil but work ID is supposed to be hanging from your neck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I do not not sell the ID holder. Just show them at security show. Yes you can place c/c in wallet with tin foil but work ID is supposed to be hanging from your neck.
    ??????
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links