Freeze protection; Does this device exist?

This is a discussion on Freeze protection; Does this device exist? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does this exist and if it does - what's it called so I can look it up and order? On outside water faucet - remove ...

Thread: Freeze protection; Does this device exist?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Does this exist and if it does - what's it called so I can look it up and order?

On outside water faucet - remove hose - screw this thing on - when it gets cold enough it opens to allow a trickle of water to flow keeping the faucet and line from freezing and bursting.
    For God, Family and Country!

FreezeFree Faucet.....it's a little pricey, $70 plus shipping.
    http://www.amazon.com/Arrowhead-Bras...2167402&sr=8-9

I've looked around and can't find a device that would do what you describe (it may exist and I was unable to find it). Sounds interesting but with the coldest weather of the year here it sounds like you would be wasting a lot of water. Is there a reason to not turn off the interior valve and then open the outside faucet so the existing water in the line can drain? No water in the line - no freeze danger.

If the line doesn't have a shutoff valve, maybe it would be possible to install one (not a terribly hard job if you have access to the water line). In the meantime, your local HD or Lowes have a insulating cap that you can place over the faucet to help keep the line from getting as cold.

Saw carryad's Amazon post re the FreezeFree after I posted. Not sure how this works. Looked at the Arrowhead Brass web size but I don't get it. For $70+, I'd still go with my original suggestions. Good searching carryad!
    Last edited by babarock; December 12th, 2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Add FreezeFree comment

Even it you have two left hands you can use this product. They sell it at Hd or Lowes. First shut off the water supply find the supply line going to the outside valve, cut the line in half and slide shank bite in between the two halves job done. They make SB with valves. No sweating the copper pipes. Turn back on water supply and drain water from new valve to the outside valve.

Uh...I could be wrong, but if it gets cold enough it doesn't matter how much you let trickle... I've seen 15-20' high fountains(the kind you see at a way too expensive shopping mall etc...) freeze in place here locally and those things have to be pumping hundreds, if not thousands, of gallons per minute. If it gets cold enough(low teens and below for a few days) a trickle of running water won't save you. Probably better off putting a freeze cover on that outer faucet and insulating the pipes on the other side of the wall(ie inside), or underneath if it's crawl space.

edit:
    I have something similar to this on my outside faucets starting mid-fall...
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_24400-1410-F...uantity_sold|1

Should also make sure your outside faucets are designed for proper winterizing/draining. For instance, mine runs from the basement through the upper portion of concrete wall to the outside where the faucet is. On the inside there is another valve about 10-12" in and the length of pipe between the inside valve and the faucet outside is at a slight downward slope towards the outer faucet to facilitate draining. As long as there's just air in that pipe and no water, there's no worries. Kinda hard to freeze with no water.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If we are talking about Chickasaw, AL, ArmyCop should be Ok. Low for the next 5 days looks to be only in the low 20s. A freeze cover should be fine.

HD and Lowes and most other hardware stores sell a freeze proof facet that has a galvanized head pipe with an internal stem long enough so that the water is shut off below the frost line.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    HD and Lowes and most other hardware stores sell a freeze proof facet that has a galvanized head pipe with an internal stem long enough so that the water is shut off below the frost line.
    That's what we have on the side of our house so that the water is actually shut off in the crawlspace area - it drains after you shut it off and I've been told you want to avoid over tightening (that too many people do to try to get it to stop draining). That combined with the fact that our floor is uninsulated = uh, crawlspace heating. There are worse things than loosing a little R-value through your floor, IMO, and repairing busted pipes when it's frosty outside is one of them in my book. :P
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    If we are talking about Chickasaw, AL, ArmyCop should be Ok. Low for the next 5 days looks to be only in the low 20s. A freeze cover should be fine.
    Correct. Doesn't get below freezing very often here but if not on slab you have to do something when it does.
    For God, Family and Country!

Sponsored Links