Mods: I really don't know where to post this.
This is a "copy and paste" email I sent my grown kids, wife, and daughter-in-law. The introduction is mine but the body of content comes from "WikiHow". Even that appears to be a cut and paste as I have seen several renditions of the same article with some add ons. I am not particularly pleased with any of this. Even my vocation might bring into question why I would send this to my children, let alone post it on my favorite forum. But entering my seventh decade I have come to realize that there are pockets of undefinable evil outside my front door with no thought of rationality or compassion.
Oh, and I am not the least bit interested in this turning into a doctrinal tug-of-war. That's the quickest way to see this thread removed. Each person must come to terms with their own conscience and as callow is this may sound, I'm not interested in you changing my mind.
HOW TO FIGHT DIRTY AND WIN
INTRODUCTION - The introduction is mine (Tom’s). The bullets are from “WikiHow”.
This is a difficult and unpleasant topic and bumps up against my faith. But scripture also indicates that the rain falls on the just and the unjust. I have not found a balance between defending yourself and turning the other cheek. My limited take on this is to endure purposeful insults or even a push or a slap. I also believe there are some believers willing to endure death before raising a hand in defense. I think believers have a responsibility to a) pray offensively as to what God would have you do in the event that you find yourself in harm’s way b) weigh the pros and cons of each action (resist or relinquish) c) decide how you will respond in advance d) a bullet prayer to God for wisdom and protection.
I like this guys first bullet that says look for any way out of a fight. But if you are blindsided, cornered with little prospect for finding middle ground or if you are sexually assaulted and talking is not going to work then all bets are off. The hardest thing to overcome is what does not come naturally or seem fair. "Fighting fair" is a myth. You fight like your life depends on it and there may be a good chance that is true. I told Ann that if she is ever attacked she should fight for all she is worth. Eyes, nose, ears, throat, and the sweet spot are your first resort and not your last. (End of Introduction)
• Don’t go looking for fights. Do everything you can to avoid them.
• Know your own limitations. If you can't go thirty seconds without stopping for breath start working out and getting some endurance training. You need to be able to last a good 3 minutes of solid fighting/grappling/wrestling.
• Fight like your life depends on it. No one fights to get the other person to submit. You fight to hurt people. Do you want to get hurt or go home safely?
• Stay on your feet. Unless you’re a cage fighter and you can fight on the ground avoid it. We will touch on this later.
• Defend your face and body with your arms. Keep your elbows in and your fists near eye level away from your face to block side attacks.
• Stand with your feet a little wider than shoulder width, strong foot forward and slightly to the outside and weak side to the rear and outside.
• Slightly bend at the knees and slightly bend forward.
• If you have exhausted all forms of negotiating and the fight is definitely going to happen move in. Get close to your target. Don’t stand arms width apart. That’s where the punch will hurt the most. Get close. Try this for example. Walk up to a wall, put your fist about 2 inches away and punch the wall. Not bad, didn’t kill you right? Now step back and punch the wall as hard as you can with a full extension of your arm. You didn’t do it, did you? It would have hurt like hell.
• Grab/bite ears. They come off with a little bit of force. The psychological effect of having an ear ripped off will stop most fights.
• Jab eyes. If they can't see…you get the point
• Punch the throat. If you can't breath you can't fight.
• Don't forget your knees and elbows in close quarters. They may be harder to control and have shorter reach, but they are strong, hard for an opponent to grab, and they pack a lot of force.
• Hair is pretty much worthless unless they have lots of it. Pull it! There is also a trick you can do using your opponents hair. It works better if they are wearing a ponytail. Grab it and bring their face down to your knee, with much force.
• Joints. Not the ones you smoke but the ones in your body. If you can break an extremity at the joint you can plan on a fight being over right then and there.
• Feet. A solid foot stomp onto the top of your opponent’s foot will result in the immediate breaking of bones and you will almost certainly cause their foot to swell to the point of no return.
• Hands. If you can grab a hand take a hold of it and flip it in a big circle and twist it 180 degrees. Once in that position you can manipulate the arm and break it easily.
• Collarbones. Your collarbone has the strength of that flute player in the marching band…it's weak. About 7 pounds of pressure will snap a collarbone and the entire arm will drop like a load of potatoes.
• Ribs. A little tougher to break but when they do they really take the fight out of you.
• Arms. Try to grab a hold of an arm, when you have it use your forearm or palm to throw a sort of inverted punch. Try to land your blow onto the weaker underside of the arm where your veins and arteries are. If you use your palm keep your fingers pointed up.
• Mouth. A lot of people like to bite when they fight. Bad call. You can catch any number of diseases. If you should happen to get bit on your fingers you can literally rip the bottom jaw off of an attacker with your own strength. Imagine your fingers are being bitten from the side covering your smallest fingers. Manipulate your whole hand into the attackers mouth (this will work on dogs also) and push your fingers down into the bedding of the tongue. That alone will warrant an attacker to let go. Don’t let them. Dig your fingers under their teeth in the small pocket your tongue hides in. Pull down and to the side. You will notice they forgot about fighting and are desperately trying to get your hand out of their mouth. Often times they will focus both hands on pulling your one hand out. Use your free hand to grab a fist full of testicle or an ear. If you can give sharp jerks in a downward and outside thrust away from their face. The bottom jaw might be able to handle three of those before it unhinges.
• Neck. Not the best place to attack, but it is a preference from behind. If you can get a hold of the attacker’s neck grab on for dear life and don’t stop squeezing until they pass out.
• Spine. A mild blow to the base of the back near the belt line will temporarily disable an attacker. A severe blow to the same spot will permanently incapacitate them from that point down on their body.
• Nose. If you can grab the nose do it. Snap it to the side. Punch it straight into the brain. Don’t worry you won't kill anyone that’s a wives tale. Also a sharp thrust of the palm in a downward motion will have the same effect.
• If you're grounded, pick up a handful of dirt, sand or gravel and grind it into your attacker's eyes. Act quickly. You won't fight them off for long with only one hand.
• If you're holding a beverage before the fight occurs and you know that the fight is about to begin take a sip, then spit it into your opponents face to buy some time. The beverage you use will have different effects on the eyes (i.e. if you spit hard liquor into the eyes you will have more time than if you used ordinary water). If you use chewing tobacco the same effect can be achieved by spitting tobacco juice into your opponents eyes.
• Fight quickly. Fight like your life depends on it. Be aware of your surroundings.
• Use anything logical as a weapon. (I.e. staplers, rocks, bottles, aerosol deodorants or sprays) They may seem harmless but all can cause severe injury if used properly.
• Never take a fight outside. This gives the opponent the upper hand to sucker-punch you. If the fight starts there it finishes there.
• Practice makes perfect. Have a friend get with you. Do not hurt your friend though. ☺