Safety Razor

Safety Razor

This is a discussion on Safety Razor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have become tired of the price of razor blades lately and thinking of switching to a safety razor. M routine is get out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Safety Razor

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,078

    Safety Razor

    I have become tired of the price of razor blades lately and thinking of switching to a safety razor. M routine is get out of the shower shave and go I have never used shaving cream in my life (44yo). Any suggestions on a good new not vintage razor?

    Thanks gang!!


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    I use Merkur Heavy Classic with imported Gillette blades. The blades can be a personal thing (like firearms). Buy a few different brands and see which your face likes better. I have some specialty soap/cream but the one I use the most is what you can get at Crabtree & Evelyn in the mall. Make sure you get a good brush too! I used a big cappuccino cup to whip up my cream.

  3. #3
    Member Array ncsteveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Johnston co, NC
    Posts
    327
    Forget the shaving cream, for the easiest and smoothest shave use hair conditioner instead, it softens up the stubble so much that a razor just glides right on through like a hot knife through butter.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    I'm confused. I still use a Gillette "safety razor" that I have used since the beginning of time and it uses double edge razor blades.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I'm confused. I still use a Gillette "safety razor" that I have used since the beginning of time and it uses double edge razor blades.
    I have never used one looking for a good one to buy.

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gastonville
    Posts
    6,754
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I have never used one looking for a good one to buy.
    I think you have your terms wrong. Are you looking for s straight razor?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

  7. #7
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member
    Array Xader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Forget the shaving cream, for the easiest and smoothest shave use hair conditioner instead, it softens up the stubble so much that a razor just glides right on through like a hot knife through butter.
    I'm a huge proponent of shaving oil. Especially for shaving in the shower. Doesn't run right off like creams and gels, and lubricates very well.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array Zsnake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    648
    Straight razor is the way to go. I'm 63 and just got into it about 6 months ago.

    Really nice ones can be bought at antique shops for around 20 dollars.

    After the initial scary feeling of being about to cut your own thorat, it's a blast. Shaves closer than those triple razor things.

    Just take it slow and never draw the blade sideways....always go perpendicular to the blade.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Straight razor is the way to go. I'm 63 and just got into it about 6 months ago.

    Really nice ones can be bought at antique shops for around 20 dollars.

    After the initial scary feeling of being about to cut your own thorat, it's a blast. Shaves closer than those triple razor things.

    Just take it slow and never draw the blade sideways....always go perpendicular to the blade.
    Also... if this hasn't been done already, put a small radius at the aft corner of the blade (closest to the handle). That's the part of the razor that causes more "oops" cuts, and it can really dig in. (Thanks to Dominic, my Italian barber from college days c. 1968 for that tip.)

    for the easiest and smoothest shave use hair conditioner instead, it softens up the stubble so much that a razor just glides right on through like a hot knife through butter.
    I second that! If you're not using a mug, brush and straight razor, a hot cloth on your face followed by a good hair conditioner is about the best shave out there, IMO.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think you have your terms wrong. Are you looking for s straight razor?
    this is what I call a safety razor
    Attached Images

  12. #12
    Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Also... if this hasn't been done already, put a small radius at the aft corner of the blade (closest to the handle). That's the part of the razor that causes more "oops" cuts, and it can really dig in. (Thanks to Dominic, my Italian barber from college days c. 1968 for that tip.)
    .
    I would appreciate a little more info on this. Are you cutting the tip of the blade off? How do you do this?

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    File, dremel, grinder, etc.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Jbum,
    You might find something here.

    http://countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/raz-02.html
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,078
    Cool stuff Gauntes...Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. My EDC knife. Inexpensive, practical, razor sharp
    By Lewis128 in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
  2. Montana - Public Safety v. Private Safety
    By DOGOFWAR01 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
  3. Random Strangers Hunted, Slashed With Razor Blades For Gang Initiations
    By dagor2k in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: May 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
  4. Anyone Shave with Straight razor?
    By Agape in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: February 14th, 2008, 10:45 AM
  5. S&W 1911 grip safety/FP safety problems?
    By sheepdog in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: December 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Search tags for this page

countryjoescollectiblestuff.com raz-02.html
,
gang razor blades
,
merkur razors, nassau, ny
,
places to buy safety razors in spartanburg sc
,
safety razor forums
,

safety razor oregon

,
safety razor, oregon
,
safety razors forum
,
safety razors spartanburg sc
,
where to get a straight razor head shaving in spartanburg sc
Click on a term to search for related topics.