The sickness is in the head, not in the hand...

This is a discussion on The sickness is in the head, not in the hand... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was in a heated debate with some anti-gun people today over the Florida incident. I made all the sound arguments, and as usual they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sickness is in the head, not in the hand...

I was in a heated debate with some anti-gun people today over the Florida incident. I made all the sound arguments, and as usual they bounced off their puffed chests right back at me...

But then I said, "When are people going to learn, the sickness is in the head, not in the hand?" and for some reason, that not only shut them up, but made two of them think really hard about their stance.

While I had them on the hook I pointed out that strangulation and blunt-force trauma, kill more people than guns do. I said it does not matter what is in the hand of a killer, it matters what's in his head.

Of course one of them was just unreachable...

But I'd say that in general it was a victory... I made two anti-gun people really think hard about their stance.

It makes me want to put "The sickness is in the head, not in the hand!" on some tee shirts and bumper stickers...

VIP Member
    Good argument but anti gunners do not want to be confused by facts or have to explain the "logic" behind their feelings.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think it's a great saying. Especially if it makes people think.

You never know what will affect the antis. Each have their own reasons for disliking guns. So what may not work for one may work for another.

Good for you!
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

"When are people going to learn, the sickness is in the head, not in the hand?"
    Most people do not want to accept this argument. The want to do something to help prevent these situations and if the problem is a person they cannot control it. If the problem is caused by an object they can do something about that. I cannot ban people but I can ban guns. It does not matter if the solution works it only matters that it makes me feel good when I believe am accomplishing something.
    Remember, Doing something even if its wrong is better than doing nothing.

Michael

The only thing that really gets them thinking about their choices is when their tight arses are in a situation where they are helpless, and scared. Their ideaology goes out the window when TSHF and the realization that the police cant help them and they need help NOW, LIKE YESTERDAY. Brings reality into perspective and breaks the Utopian mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Most people do not want to accept this argument. The want to do something to help prevent these situations and if the problem is a person they cannot control it. If the problem is caused by an object they can do something about that. I cannot ban people but I can ban guns. It does not matter if the solution works it only matters that it makes me feel good when I believe am accomplishing something.
    Remember, Doing something even if its wrong is better than doing nothing.

Michael
    True enough... that's why I was surprised that two of them really seemed to be seeing my argument. I did not expect anything I said to work. But as another poster said above, you never know what might make someone think. It could just as easily been one of the other many arguments I made, or none at all.

Many anti-guners convert after they've been in a 'situation' where they were helpless.
    It takes some people a looooooong time to learn.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    NO! Guns Kill People!!! Guns should be Illegal!!!
    While we are at it, Rape... that is a crime, Men, your genitalia should be illegal. Please relinquish your genitalia.
    Prostitution, BAD BAD BAD.... Ladies, line up behind the men!
    DRUGS!!! Start with the cocaine! While in line, all of you, please give away your noses, then you will not be able to snort Cocaine!!!
    HMMMM, WHAT ELSE? THE SUN!!! IT CAUSES CANCER, SOMEONE, PUT IT OUT!!! NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT PEOPLE CAN PUT ON SUNSCREEN AND ALL LIFE ON THE PLANET WILL CEASE, THE SUN IS BAD!!!

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, Guns should be made Illegal! Why? Because it doesn't make sense, Chewbacca is a Wookie, why would he live with Ewoks, but if Chewbacca lives on Endor, Guns should be ILLEGAL!!!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

The sickness of the head of the evil doers, is no worse the the sickness of the head of those who will not defend their life, even if given the opportunity.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The sickness of the head of the evil doers, is no worse the the sickness of the head of those who will not defend their life, even if given the opportunity.
    +1 Well said.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    If Chewbacca lives on Endor, Guns should be made Illegal! Why? Because it doesn't make sense, Chewbacca is a Wookie, why would he live with Ewoks, but if Chewbacca lives on Endor, Guns should be ILLEGAL!!!
    I Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

VIP Member
    While I had them on the hook I pointed out that strangulation and blunt-force trauma, kill more people than guns do.
    Please cite a source for this. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, this is absolutely false.
    http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/weapons.cfm

According to the FBI, this is absolutely false. In fact, murders with guns account for more than 67% of all murders, while murders with ANYTHING other than guns and knives account for less than 20%.

(from http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/201...f-weapon-used/
    Murders total – 13636
    Murders with handguns – 6452 (47.32%)
    Murders with rifles – 348 (2.55%)
    Murders with shotguns – 418 (3.07%)
    Murders with unknown firearms – 1928 (14.14%)
    Murder with knives or cutting instruments – 1825 (13.38%)
    Murders with other weapons – 1864 (13.67%)
    Murders with hands, fists, feet etc.. – 801 (5.87%)
    Misinformation from "our" side is just as bad as misinformation from "their" side - be sure you can back up what you say with facts...

Or are you possibly also including accidental deaths due to strangulation and blunt-force trauma? Even so...unless you include motor vehicle accidents as "blunt-force trauma," I'd really like to see a source....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Or are you possibly also including accidental deaths due to strangulation and blunt-force trauma? Even so...unless you include motor vehicle accidents as "blunt-force trauma," I'd really like to see a source....
    That was how I interpreted it. Because God knows, they're going to be counting "accidental" deaths by gun, not to mention justified SD, as "killings".

I have a better method, I suggest even more ridiculers controls then they do. I suggest registration of people with mental issues, gang affiliations, had abusive childhoods, or however started the issue we are talking about. Then from there we can issue legislation to control these dangerous individuals. I then argue that it would be more effective to attack and legislate the ones causing the violence then to regulate the tools. I find it surprisingly effective when I have used it. then there was the one person that whole heartedly agreed to my statement to permaban rapists.

Then there is my other great argument trick I use. where I tell a person, partially one that sees themselves as a highly liberal individual there they are surrendering there truly liberal position by advocating firearms control. I then have everyone in the rooms unwavering attention for about 5 minuets’.
    Last edited by AlexHassin; December 16th, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: more info

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    That was how I interpreted it. Because God knows, they're going to be counting "accidental" deaths by gun, not to mention justified SD, as "killings".
    Even with that interpretation, gun deaths will FAR outnumber "strangulation" and "blunt-force trauma" deaths. The only possible way to get a higher number for those non-gun deaths is to include car accidents, and that's, at very best, a specious argument. If someone tried to use that "fact" on me, I would laugh in their face, and be convinced that their argument had absolutely no merit at all if they were forced to use such blatantly and obviously skewed numbers...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links