Over the counter for Thyroid?

This is a discussion on Over the counter for Thyroid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, Range for TSH is .34 to 5.6 Mine is 1.77 Since in that range Doc won't prescribe med's - which is okay by me ...

Thread: Over the counter for Thyroid?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Over the counter for Thyroid?

Ok, Range for TSH is .34 to 5.6

Mine is 1.77

Since in that range Doc won't prescribe med's - which is okay by me

But

Is there anything over the counter that might bring it up?

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Ok, Range for TSH is .34 to 5.6

Mine is 1.77

Since in that range Doc won't prescribe med's - which is okay by me

But

Is there anything over the counter that might bring it up?

Thanks in advance.
    Why would you want to bring it up. You are in mid-range? Playing with your endocrine functions may have a wide range of secondary undesirable effects which will far outweigh whatever goal you have in mind. If your doc won't prescribe it for you there is a good reason--- you don't need it and it will be too dangerous.

Anything you are likely to be able to obtain beyond prescription meds will have unknown ingredients untested for efficacy or safety. Not worth it.

If you have a true medical need for the stuff convince your doctor. Use the line, "treat the patient not the lab. test."

In other words, suggest to your doc that your concerns need to be addressed without regard to the numbers on the lab. report. It might not work, it might, it all depends on how reasonable or unreasonable your desire to get your TSH up might be. There might be other means to the end you need to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Why would you want to bring it up.
    Well, get sleeping, sluggish way too early in the evening. Metabolism seems way too slow for me. VERY easy to gain weight without really overeating.

Just from what my wife's doctor has done for her & working - seems worth trying something for a couple weeks or so to see if makes a positive difference.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i hate to break it to you but that is the prime symptom of age...welcome aboard...

try a change in diet...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    You're getting good advice here man, don't ignore it.

I've been on Levothroid/Synthroid for over 20 years now, ever since the Air Force wanted to know why I couldn't lose weight. Even medicated I have issues with that, and issues with sluggishnes/sleepiness, even though my numbers stay, with the drugs, right smack dab in the middle of the acceptable range.

The only thing that helps is excercise and eat right. If I eat a piece of apple pie, I can feel the difference. But an apple goes a long way towards perking me up and keeping my weight low.

If you want to do something over the counter, try eating a really good diet that includes fruits and vegetables and getting enough excercise and enough sleep. Other than that, the advice above is good advice -- don't mess with it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Well, get sleeping, sluggish way too early in the evening. Metabolism seems way too slow for me. VERY easy to gain weight without really overeating.

Just from what my wife's doctor has done for her & working - seems worth trying something for a couple weeks or so to see if makes a positive difference.
    There are many things which could account for feeling sleepy to early in the day, for feeling and being sluggish, and certainly for the weight gain.

Maybe pose this issue to your doctor in the following way: I'm a (military cop? combat infantryman? whatever your occupation) and I have to be alert and physically in top shape. Right now, I'm not, and it is affecting my performance on the job and could affect my ability to survive. While I seem fit as a fiddle and probably am so in comparison to 99% of people, I'm not right for what I need to be able to do. DO you have any thoughts on how we might improve things? Would visiting a sleep clinic be worthwhile? Would further consideration of my endocrine function be worthwhile? I know that my TSH is in the normal range, but would bringing that up some be reasonable given my specific situation?

In other words, don't demand anything of the doc, but make clear that you have a problem which you would like treated if a diagnosis can be arrived at and if treatments which are medically reasonable for you are available.

Do you drink coffee? Caffinated pop? If you do, quit and your energy will return. Also don't grow any older because it does slow things down. I'm tireder now than I was 20 years ago.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I believe there are things that you can do naturally to help improve your thyroid function. There are certain foods that are supposed to do this.
    http://www.suite101.com/content/jump...thyroid-a23864 I hope this will help. There are several links online that may help. You wouldn't want to take any medication for thyroid unless your doctor prescribes it for you.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Another possibility is that you may suffer from hypogonadism.

Checkout this website:

http://www.isitlowt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Do you drink coffee? Caffinated pop? If you do, quit and your energy will return. Also don't grow any older because it does slow things down. I'm tireder now than I was 20 years ago.
    Not a coffee drinker. Mostly water - every so often a soda & when a soda it's sugar free & half the time no caffeine.

Thyroid problems are very dangerous. A former co-worker had a number of severe rage incidents at work where he attacked fellow workers. During the attack he did not know what he was doing. Once his thyroid problem was treated theses spells went away. In his case it would have been very dangerous to self medicate. Something to think about.

Michael

DrJ
    You need to consider other causes for your symptoms rather than thyroid. Keep in mind that TSH is NOT the same as your thyroid hormone - TSH stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, and represents a feedback mechanism in your body. If your TSH is high, your thyroid hormone level is low. If TSH is low, your thyroid hormone level is high. Your TSH is on the lower end of normal, which means your thyroid hormone level is on the higher end of normal. It ain't likely the thyroid.

Links