Chem Glow Wristwatches?

Chem Glow Wristwatches?

This is a discussion on Chem Glow Wristwatches? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What wristwatches besides Luminox uses a Chemical Glow (I can't remember what it's called - probably same as used for night sights) for its illuminating ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Chem Glow Wristwatches?

What wristwatches besides Luminox uses a Chemical Glow (I can't remember what it's called - probably same as used for night sights) for its illuminating hands and numbers?

I like not having to shine a flashlight to activate its luminating or pressing a button - IE Indiglow.

Links to what you suggest appreciated.
    For God, Family and Country!

I can't help ya Armycop, but thought you might find a story interesting.

When I was young I hated "glow in the dark" stuff" 'cause I had this idea about being in stealth mode all the time. One night a buddy & I slipped out of the house (in stealth mode) to go exercise the cycles, and I wanted to keep track of time, but the only watch I could find (in the dark) was one like you're looking for. I had an absolutely terrible crash that night, and probably would have died if my buddy hadn't been able to spot that watch from about 30'!

Mine was a Timex. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by strider777 View Post
    I can't help ya Armycop, but thought you might find a story interesting.

When I was young I hated "glow in the dark" stuff" 'cause I had this idea about being in stealth mode all the time. One night a buddy & I slipped out of the house (in stealth mode) to go exercise the cycles, and I wanted to keep track of time, but the only watch I could find (in the dark) was one like you're looking for. I had an absolutely terrible crash that night, and probably would have died if my buddy hadn't been able to spot that watch from about 30'!

Mine was a Timex. Best of luck!
    Wow! Good story. Timex might like to do a reenactment commercial for that one.

Why don't you like Luminox?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Administrator
    Tritium.

The tritium is in little tiny vials on the hands and going around the dial to mark the numbers.

Be careful buying one because the older ones are cheaper....because Tritium has a "half-life" of 12.5 years so if the watch you buy is brand new manufacture then the Tritium will be half as bright in 12.5 years as it is new.

SO....if you buy a watch that has been sitting on a dealer shelf for 8 or 10 years ya can see how they would need to hurry up and dump it at a lower price.

Most Tritium watches will be furnished with a "Date Of Manufacture" just like Tritium night sights.

This is the one I own. It's a special edition ----> Tiny Flag Mil Stocker & Yale - I like it because it weighs almost nothing.
    There are lots of great Tritium watches out there though.

A NEW Tritium should look bright like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Luminox is Tritium. I have two of them that I don't even wear.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Why don't you like Luminox?
    My wife bought me a Luminox & I liked it okay - but - after 4 years it broke and cost was going to be just under $100 bucks to have it fixed.
    As much as it cost her in the first place I just wasn't happy with it pooping out that quick and costing that much to fix.

My Timex lasted 11 years before it pooped out and it was only $30 bucks.

I found a Smith & Wesson tritium watch I like at http://www.LAPoliceGear.com for around $150 I might consider.

ArmyCop, the estimated future cost for tritium, according to a recent Los Alamos study, will be $100,000-$200,000 per GRAM. Currently it is as low as $80,000 to $100,000 per gram. Apparently tritium is one of the most expensive materials by weight in the world. And we put it in watches!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

The only watch I own with tritium is my Marathon TSAR. Very hard to find though considering they are military issue only...
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    ArmyCop, the estimated future cost for tritium, according to a recent Los Alamos study, will be $100,000-$200,000 per GRAM. Currently it is as low as $80,000 to $100,000 per gram. Apparently tritium is one of the most expensive materials by weight in the world. And we put it in watches!
    That's interesting.... I had no idea it was so expensive... Hard to believe we don't have a synthetic version of the stuff yet....

Here is the 1 I wear you can find them for around 80 bucks. Usi tritium
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    My wife bought me a Luminox & I liked it okay - but - after 4 years it broke and cost was going to be just under $100 bucks to have it fixed.
    As much as it cost her in the first place I just wasn't happy with it pooping out that quick and costing that much to fix.

My Timex lasted 11 years before it pooped out and it was only $30 bucks.

I found a Smith & Wesson tritium watch I like at http://www.LAPoliceGear.com for around $150 I might consider.
    I have two of the silver bracelet style stainless Luminox's. I think they were called either Captiains or Officers model. Both kinda dull stainless look. One with black face and one with yellow face. They cost about $175 - $195 each. Bought them 6 or 7 years ago. They still work. I just don't wear analog watches anymore. Got tired of replacing batteries and setting them back or forward. So I now have a Casio G-shock that is Solar powered and radio controlled (atomic clock). Dead accurate, don't have to change the battery and don't have to set the time up or back.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I've got a Luminox travel alarm clock that runs on a single AA battery. I got it from Service Merchandise (before they closed) for about $69.00
    Sits on my wife's side of the bed all the time. Love that little clock.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Here is the 1 I wear you can find them for around 80 bucks. Usi tritium
    Now That's NICE for only 80 bucks. Keep time okay? Battery go how long? What depth is it rated for?

Looses about 15 secs a month according to the atomic clock, 2yrs on the battery so far, 200m.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links