Oklahoma subsitutes drug for lethal injection.......

This is a discussion on Oklahoma subsitutes drug for lethal injection....... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I really see no problem here after reading the text..... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_oklahoma_execution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma subsitutes drug for lethal injection.......

Thumbs up Oklahoma subsitutes drug for lethal injection.......

I really see no problem here after reading the text.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_oklahoma_execution
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

If it's good enough for the dogs we love, it should be good enough for them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Why does it have to be so pain free? The cruel and unusual thing is kind of like saying its wrong to use hollowpoints in war.

It wouldn't work to just give them a sedative and inject some cyanide?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Why does it have to be so pain free? The cruel and unusual thing is kind of like saying its wrong to use hollowpoints in war.
    Just another instance where PC is killing the humanity as we know it.

The punishment will never fit the crime, all we can hope for is that the legal system will come close. Granted, we would all like to see the woman who drowned her children in the bath tub be drowned herself, or the gang banger who shot up the wrong house and killed a grandmother face a firing squad, but that will never happen. The psychology of killing another human being, regardless of the reason, goes far too deep to just turn it off and not feel guilty when it is you (figurative) who pulls the trigger, or holds the head under water, or flips the switch. The consolation is that when it is you who is the executioner, or the juror, or the justice who is responsible for the capital punishment being administered, you at least have the reconciliation that the death was humane. Regardless of the fact that the killer being brought to justice never made such a consolation themselves.

We all like to say "I'd string them up and do this and do that" but when it comes down to it, the majority of us don't have the stomach for it. We know what pain is, and we inetrnalize it. So, we take the easy out, let's put the bad guy to sleep, at least he will be gone. That mentality is half the problem. But there is still the other half... the solution. Do we recruit a corps of killers with no remourse? Do we raise them from birth to be nothing but attack dogs? What can we do, who can we turn to to be the ones who will not have the remorse. Or, do we take the hard road? Do we work to rehabilitate dangerous killers? Or take the reigns and do the needful and make the punishment fit the crime!?! No, we do not.

We take the easiest road, the path of least resistance. We still execute the convicted, we still rid the world of them. But, we do it in a way that all but the hearitest of us can be content with. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, the peaceful demise of the monster does not bring back the child that was taken, but, it does give closure. At the end of the day, that has to be enough, even though, we wish we had more.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    It is kind of hard to know just what was done based on the article because they seem to me to be mixing up the names of two different barbiturate anesthetics.

I've never quite understood the 3 drug cocktail approach; and let me say so that you know where I'm coming from that I have anesthetized many many dogs and sheep for surgery, and euthanized (euthanatized) hundreds of animals. I'm not a Vet physician, but my background and circumstances aren't the issue here.

In the 1980s (last I did this sort of work) there were good products on the market that could be used for animal euthanasia. I could drop an 80 lb sheep at my feet in about 3 seconds. So, when I read story after story about executions that ran 10-20 minutes and stuff about the condemned person making this motion and that facial grimace etc., I've been incredulous about it. I have never understood why they didn't or couldn't use the same solution that I was using on sheep, on the condemned. Believe me, there was no struggle and no sign of pain or awareness or anything. The needle went in the vein, 3-6 ml were injected, and the animal fell to the floor dead. No muss not fuss. Alive one second, dead the next.

As for the present shortage of thiopental. Big deal. It doesn't matter. Pentabarbital (its different from thiopental) works. I wouldn't want surgery done on me with a long acting barbiturate but we aren't talking about surgery here, are we. Why they fool around with paralytics and calcium is beyond me. Give enough long acting barbiturate and breathing stops. The death quickly follows. And nothing happens until well after consciousness has gone bye bye.

Shove in whatever will get the job done and be done with it.

Administrator
    Hanging is cheaper and it's quick & it makes for a better show so...if they would televise the hangings on PAY TV we could recoup some of the money that it costs to "house & feed" these people for the 15 (or more) years they are on Death Row until their appeals run out.
    Or give the PAY TV money to the family of the victim/victims.
    Or bring back the Guillotine - what could be a swifter end than that? And the "Worst Of The Bad" ones...put them Face Up so that they can watch the blade come down.
    That should be the last thing they see before they~~~~>

That would be what I would do.

If the person is put under before being given the final killing drug where do the pain and contortions that are reported come from? Would I be correct to assume that someone is possibly lying to me?

Michael

These people actually walk among us. Wow.

"Jim Rowan, a capital defense attorney and a board member of the Oklahoma Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, said was concerned there was little evidence about the effects of the use of the drug on humans.
    "No one who has been put to death has come back and testified about what it felt like," Rowan said."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Personally, I wouldn’t care if the “sedative” administered was a ball peen hammer to the forehead. These dirt bags gotta go, period.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

They didn't give a damn about the people they killed and or how they suffered,but they try to find some bleeding hearts to help keep them alive,If they actually put people to death within a short time of being sentenced,It would send a strong message that you ain't gonna get 3 hots and a cot for years while you appeal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    These people actually walk among us. Wow.

"Jim Rowan, a capital defense attorney and a board member of the Oklahoma Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, said was concerned there was little evidence about the effects of the use of the drug on humans.
    "No one who has been put to death has come back and testified about what it felt like," Rowan said."
    That is a ridiculous statement because huge numbers of people have received surgical treatment under barbiturate anesthetics. We know rather well that people don't experience in a conscious way much of anything at all if an adequate dose is given.

I think the Guillotine should be brought back into use. Simple, 100% effective, overall cheap to operate (although a bit messy) and would last for years.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    I think the Guillotine should be brought back into use. Simple, 100% effective, overall cheap to operate (although a bit messy) and would last for years.
    There were special little Guillotines marketed to research labs for killing mice. That was not only a very messy way of doing things, it had a big yuck factor that was hard to take even for those of us hardened in the business. The Guillotine is probably the last device or method I would consider for doing a real-world execution of another human. No method is nice, but some are a lot less nice than others, and I consider this the bottom of the barrel.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links