SAD: Our Local Police Had to Gun Down a 2 Tour Afghanistan Veteran Thursday.

This is a discussion on SAD: Our Local Police Had to Gun Down a 2 Tour Afghanistan Veteran Thursday. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Something went very wrong with a 2 combat tour veteran of the war in Afghanistan Thursday. For unknown reasons, he fired several shots in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAD: Our Local Police Had to Gun Down a 2 Tour Afghanistan Veteran Thursday.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Something went very wrong with a 2 combat tour veteran of the war in Afghanistan Thursday. For unknown reasons, he fired several shots in the parking lot of our big local shopping mall, which was jammed with thousands of Christmas shoppers.

The veteran's name is Michael Mason, and he is married, and tax records show that he owns his own place in town. Furthermore, he is the son of a respected retired sergeant of our police department.

He fled the area, and both of our local SWAT teams were mobilized and took out after him. One SWAT team ended up confronting him, and two of the officers took him out with gunfire. Mason is now currently in critical condition in a local hospital, fighting for his life.

No one seems to know what went wrong with him, and why he did this on Thursday. His actions did not appear to make any sense. No one was hurt by his gunfire, although one car suffered a bullet hole. I wonder if any sort of reason can ever be figured out for this incident? The press often does not attempt to dig into the background of incidents like this, and inform the public.

One person who knew him, though, commented that he said that his last combat tour in Afghanistan had been hellish in nature, and was giving him nightmares.

Here is a link to a news report about this tragedy:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms...-pope-shot.csp

I don't like Mondays...

Sometimes people lose it. It's always bad, but this seems like a particularly tragic case...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I've seen a few of these with recent vets coming home. (Not shooting things up, just going off the deep end) Its always sad to see. In the cases that I've personally seen, there is never a good home situation that the soldier has come back too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Man that is just such a sad story! I hope the dude survives and gets the help he deserves.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Sad story, wonder if he was suffering from PTSD and had not received help for it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Very, very sad. It's too bad that we haven't fully figured out how the help the soldier deal with all the post service troubles that they may experience. I hope he survives and is able to get the help he deserves.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like a case of "Blue Suicide" to me.
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    Very, very sad. It's too bad that we haven't fully figured out how the help the soldier deal with all the post service troubles that they may experience. I hope he survives and is able to get the help he deserves.
    The real tragedy, is that we can very effectively treat and mitigate/fix PTSD. The problem, is convincing Soldiers (et al) to use the resources. The military does a crappy job of making sure Soldiers know they can get the help and still have a job. My wife does this stuff for a living, and the field has a very high success rate among people willing to go through the treatments.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    The real tragedy, is that we can very effectively treat and mitigate/fix PTSD. The problem, is convincing Soldiers (et al) to use the resources. The military does a crappy job of making sure Soldiers know they can get the help and still have a job. My wife does this stuff for a living, and the field has a very high success rate among people willing to go through the treatments.
    ^^^ This
    My wife's sister is a counselor and her husband is a high ranking enlisted Ranger who has served multiple tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. She is constantly complaining about the lack of psychological support for returning troops, or rather, the lack of enforcement and requirement for the soldiers to attend counseling. Her husband has also lamented the fact that anyone seeking counseling is "labeled" and considered weak. He encourages his guys to get counseling but they invariably refuse.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Senior Moderator
    That is tragic.

A lot of how much stigma is attached to PTSD and other mental health disorders depends on the chain of command. Some are better than others, some are a lot more supportive of others. And there are free resources outside of the military, available to veterans, free counseling sessions and things like that, that can be used by combat veterans.

A lot of the military is an Alpha male society, especially in the combat arms, and reaching out for help can be perceived as a weakness sometimes, not that it is a weakness, it actually shows maturity and strength in my opinion.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I believe we have come a long way in dealing with this, but so much further to go. Very sad indeed.

Another veteran posted the following message about Mason on a local discussion group. Many people are openly condemning Mason, and even hoping that he dies.

Here is what this other veteran said about Mason:

"My name is Patrick Brannan. I served with this man in the 173d Airborne. I was an AIrborne Ranger prior to the "Herd". I was awarded a Silver Star medal from Congress for saving American lives in Afghanistan. I worked with Mason. We both joined after 911. You can google SSG Patrick Brannan and it will pull up. We fought in numerous intense actions.

I too suffer from PTSD, its not a scape goat. I do not defend his actions, but I certainly knew the man before we went to war and after. He was an excellent soldier and person. If he wanted to kiill innocent people he most certainly would have. Thats no excuse for him but the VA is terrible about screening and treatment.

The comments here on this website are terrible. Obviously most of you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. You have no clue what happens to a person after being in a war. I relive gunfights every night in my sleep. I personally don't own a gun for fear I may do something stupid like this."

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sounds like a case of "Blue Suicide" to me.
    I don't think so, because:

1) He fled the scene and tried to escape. Police only caught up with him a number of miles away from the scene.

If the objective was to force a confrontation with police, then why flee?

2) He is the son of a respected retired police sergeant.

Lead Moderator
    For unknown reasons, he fired several shots in the parking lot of our big local shopping mall, which was jammed with thousands of Christmas shoppers.
    I'd bet that if he wanted to shoot someone, he could have easily done so. It seems like he purposely avoided that.

If the objective was to force a confrontation with police, then why flee?
    Because he wanted to avoid anyone but himself getting hurt. A shootout in a crowded parking lot could have very well resulted in innocents being shot.

He is the son of a respected retired police sergeant
    Totally irrevelant. The only thing that mattered was the way he felt at the time.

Its a tragedy on many levels.
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Because he wanted to avoid anyone but himself getting hurt. A shootout in a crowded parking lot could have very well resulted in innocents being shot.
    The inside of the shopping mall was jammed, but the parking lot hardly had many people in it. A park and a river are right next to the shopping mall. With our lousy winter weather this week, there were few people by the river or in the park. He could have gone there in a manner of seconds.

He ended up being shot in a residential neighborhood, far from the shopping mall.

Your argument here simply doesn't hold up. It is very flawed in logic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links