Here's a controversial one - Patriot App

This is a discussion on Here's a controversial one - Patriot App within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/patri...90563133?mt=8# What do you think? Useful or evil? PatriotAppTM deputizes your iPhone or iPad! It is the world’s first app that allows citizens to assist ...

Thread: Here's a controversial one - Patriot App

Here's a controversial one - Patriot App

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/patri...90563133?mt=8#

What do you think? Useful or evil?

PatriotAppTM deputizes your iPhone or iPad! It is the world’s first app that allows citizens to assist government agencies in creating safer, cleaner, and more efficient communities. The easy to use graphical interface allows you to report pertinent information to government agencies and share with others via social networking and blogs, all at your fingertips.…

More>>>> This app was founded on the belief that citizens can provide the most sophisticated and broad network of eyes and ears necessary to prevent terrorism, crime, environmental negligence, or other malicious behavior.
    Simply download, report (including optional pictures and GPS) and submit information to relevant government agencies, employers, or publish incident data to social network tools.

Key Features:
    • Integrated into Federal Agencies points of contacts
    o FBI
    o EPA
    o GAO
    o CDC
    • Custom integration with user employers
    • Fully integrated with Social Media (Facebook, Twitter)
    • Multiple menus and data fields
    • View FBI Most Wanted
    • Simple graphical user interface
    Uses:
    • Enable citizens to record and communicate:
    • National Security, Suspicious activities, Crime
    • Government Waste
    • Environmental Crime or possible violations
    • White collar crime
    • Workplace harassment, discrimination, or other violations
    • Public Health concerns
    PatriotApp encourages active citizen participation in protecting their families and surrounding communities.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

I was wondering how long it was going to take for Apple to jump on the domestic spying bandwagon like Walmart did.

I think the potential for misuse or abuse is so high as to be scary. Just looking at workplace harassment as an example could be kidding around with a consensual friend and get yourself photographed by a third party, reported to an agency and all of a sudden "we have a few questions for you Mr./Ms........" As all this could already be done manually now I can't see this as being pulled from the market. Bottom line, generally speaking too large a portion of the population lack common sense to be trusted with this.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

People think the Gestapo in Nazi Germany had an agent behind every mail box. In reality the Gestapo was one of the smallest Interal Security Agencies that relied mostly on average citizens to report on their friends, neighbors, family, basically anyone they knew.

America is not Nazi Germany but this is a bad idea. Of course if you see something really suspicious or a crime in progress report it to the police. But a dedicated tattle line will be besought with bogus, overexaggerated, meaningless reports that will more likely tie up resources than actually aid crime prevention.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    That app should be banned.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I hope it has some type of disclosure about it being a crime to make a false report.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Gecko45! Gecko45! ATTENTION! Quick! Upload THAT to the FBI too! And the CDC! We're really on to something here! A digital influenza crossed with a Schnauzer! The EPA will want it too!

Let the free market send this to the trash bin where it belongs. No need to ban it or require incestuous disclosures or the like. Just ignore it, and let the Mall Ninjas suck it up and use it to their feeble brains content.

Domestic spying? Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    People think the Gestapo in Nazi Germany had an agent behind every mail box. In reality the Gestapo was one of the smallest Interal Security Agencies that relied mostly on average citizens to report on their friends, neighbors, family, basically anyone they knew.

America is not Nazi Germany but this is a bad idea. Of course if you see something really suspicious or a crime in progress report it to the police. But a dedicated tattle line will be besought with bogus, overexaggerated, meaningless reports that will more likely tie up resources than actually aid crime prevention.
    My thoughts too.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post

After WWII the East German Stasi was widely regarded as one of the most effective and repressive intelligence and secret police agencies in the world. It too made good use of an army of civilians watching their neighbors and reporting any "suspicious" activity.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

allows you to report pertinent information to government agencies and share with others via social networking and blogs
    Boy, that's scary all by itself. Send an accusing text message to the FBI and all your Facebook buddies with an easy graphical interface.

Sure makes ME want to run out and buy an i-Anything. If I broke down and actually used this app, I think the first thing I'd "report" is that Al Qadea is using special codes found only in Apple products to communicate their plans for mass destruction.

Or maybe I'd research the people who developed this app and coyly suggest via social networking they stop beating their wives.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Um, folks, this app is not an Apple product.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links