Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners

This is a discussion on Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bu.. but... I thought the TSA keeps us safe!!!!111~~~ Last fall, as he had done hundreds of times, Iranian-American businessman Farid Seif passed through security ...

Thread: Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners

Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners

Bu.. but... I thought the TSA keeps us safe!!!!111~~~

Last fall, as he had done hundreds of times, Iranian-American businessman Farid Seif passed through security at a Houston airport and boarded an international flight.

He didn't realize he had forgotten to remove the loaded snub nose "baby" Glock pistol from his computer bag. But TSA officers never noticed as his bag glided along the belt and was x-rayed. When he got to his hotel after the three-hour flight, he was shocked to discover the gun traveled unnoticed from Houston.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/loaded...show=WN&page=1

Watch the video for even more bad news

2. Remove Ads

Obviously snub nosed Glocks are Xray invisible.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Ha, this just reminded me of the big media frenzy about "plastic guns" (Glocks) that could pass through Xray scanners! Looks like they were right (I kid of course).

VIP Member
    OK, this may be a tangent, but I'm going anyway. If the gun made it all the way through and was only discovered by the owner AFTER the flight at his hotel, how did the media get ahold of the story? I smell a fish.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

It sounds like the TSA agents are not doing their job.. Until they get the promotion to the Groping dept, they are just there for a paycheck. Some could really care less what goes on a plane as long as it doesn't interfere with break time.

now if everyone was able to do this, then there would be no takeover of the flight.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    OK, this may be a tangent, but I'm going anyway. If the gun made it all the way through and was only discovered by the owner AFTER the flight at his hotel, how did the media get ahold of the story? I smell a fish.
    I wondered the same thing. It would be downright stupid to call anyone and say "btw, my name is Farid Seif, and I just took a loaded handgun on an international flight. Have a nice day!"

They probably didn't catch it because they were too busy trying not to racially profile anybody,in the meantime everybody that doesn't look middle eastern is getting probed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I was wondering, too. He must have called them. But then if he did, wouldn't they charge him with a crime? The details may be deep in the story - I'll admit, I didn't read the whole thing.

It says he felt a moral obligation to notify authorities about the incident.....isn't it kinda funny though? It sound like THIS would be the type of person that TSA would or should be taking a closer look at...

An older, financially successful person with established businesses in Texas and a valid Texas CHL. I don't see what is so peculiar about him. Seems like the kind of guy I'd speed through security.

VIP Member
    Any detection system which depends, as current TSA practice, on a steady state of alertness by humans faced with an utterly boring job looking for a needle in a hay stack, is doomed. It doesn't matter if it is looking at th x-ray images of hand carry luggage or the naked pics of back-scatter scanners. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, do it 1000 times with NO reward and a normal person will either go stark raving mad or get careless. The mind will inevitably wander and stuff will get missed.

In a way, the gropings are a better screening tool because they require the active participation of the TSA employee, with the employee actively moving and coordinating, and shifting his /her attention from location to location, even shifting their own balance and posture from one second to the next. It is something that is done actively, and there is voice communication and hand communication with the passenger. The screener isn't passively looking at pics on a screen.

Sitting or standing in front of a machine for many minutes or hours on end, looking for stuff that is unlikely to turn up anyway, is a guarantee of failure to pay close enough attention to what one is looking at.

This is why they have a high failure rate. The job is one that humans really can't do well.

Links