US Military Tested New Gun on Dec 10th That Generated 24,339,552 ft/lbs of ME !!

This is a discussion on US Military Tested New Gun on Dec 10th That Generated 24,339,552 ft/lbs of ME !! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That is basically 2,000 times the muzzle energy of the .50 BMG cartridge. This is a new record that far exceeds any previous artillery ever ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Military tested New Gun on Dec 10th That Generated 24,339,552 ft/lbs of ME !!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

US Military tested New Gun on Dec 10th That Generated 24,339,552 ft/lbs of ME !!

That is basically 2,000 times the muzzle energy of the .50 BMG cartridge.

This is a new record that far exceeds any previous artillery ever made.

The projectile traveled at 7 times the speed of sound. The US Navy is hoping to develop even more powerful versions of this gun, and eventually mount them on US Warships.

Range of this prototype gun is estimated to be 126 miles!!

Here is a complete news report:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...net_video.html

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Let's get this story straight. The US NAVY tested a gun that creates 24,339,552 ft/lbs of ME ! That's Navy sir, not military. It's not just a job....

GO NAVY!!!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Who makes a holster for that?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Last that I heard, the Navy is one of the branches of the US Military.

Here is an image made by a high speed camera that captured the projectile shortly after it left the gun. Velocity is so high, that friction ignites the air around it:

The gun is cool, but the camera that tracked it at around the 30 second mark is something else too! Going from dead still to tracking a projectile at that rate is amazing.

That beats my 45ACP!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

A rail gun sweet!!!!! Now the real question. Could you get one to go fast enough to cause the area it impacts to turn into plasma? ( I am not great with physics, but I believe thatís what we see trailing it)

VIP Member
    Last that I heard, the Navy is one of the branches of the US Military.
    It is but we don't want any Doggies, Zoomies or Jarheads getting all worked up about our stuff. GO NAVY!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Here is a video of the event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1q_rRicAwI

Actually rail guns have been around a while. http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun.htm
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    And for the cost of one of them, we could give every Infantryman in the Army a 100% pay raise for a year...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    And for the cost of one of them, we could give every Infantryman in the Army a 100% pay raise for a year...
    Now don't start acting like the Army doesn't have any money, we get their hand me downs...

It is but we don't want any Doggies, Zoomies or Jarheads getting all worked up about our stuff. GO NAVY!
    But the applications of using it as a support weapon for us poor Jarheads exist.

I've always thought rail guns were interesting, back when I was playing the Mech Warrior games on the computer, they were a favorite of mine. I'd like to see a test in person, but that probably isn't in the cards.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Compared to the Air Force or Navy? I remember sitting in a high level budget discussion in the NJ Guard one year (pre-wars): to run my Battalion, entirely, for a year, cost less than ONE engine upgrade (not even a new engine) on ONE refueling tanker. At that moment, all things became clear to me... :)

Oh, and maybe if your parent service wasn't so busy building things from Warhammer 40K, they could get you guys some more first-run equipment...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think this has great implications for the future of carrying ordinance on naval vessels, but then again, maybe we're just trading a room full of explosive ordinance for a room full of capacitors. Still, pretty awesome to see this come to life. True, the concept isn't new, but it's pretty cool to actually see (and hear!) it in action. I'm especially impressed by all those cameras that managed to pick it up, especially the tracking cam! How did it do that, while still being able to take in enough light... pretty amazing.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I thought my hot tub made the electric meter spin faster, cant imagine that thing.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I thought my hot tub made the electric meter spin faster, cant imagine that thing.
    Ha! Let's see the greenies power THAT with solar!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links