I Just Have To Share This

This is a discussion on I Just Have To Share This within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A couple of months a go, I was sitting on the couch watching TV with my wife. She turned to me and said, "I think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Just Have To Share This

I Just Have To Share This

A couple of months a go, I was sitting on the couch watching TV with my wife.
    She turned to me and said, "I think I will sign up for the Ladies Night at the new indoor range and learn gun safety and how to shoot a pistol."
    Her statement absolutely floored me.

Now you have to know that in our 30 years of marriage, she has NEVER, and I mean NEVER, touched my firearms.
    She has been deathly afraid of them and has refused to even move them even if they were in the way of her getting to something behind them.

Now mind you, she is as conservative as I am and has always been PRO 2A.
    She has never said a negative word about my guns nor anything unpleasant about me carrying concealed.
    (Well, there was one time when I went pheasant hunting and she prayed for the well being and safety of the pheasants.)
    All of my boys have learned to shoot and she has always been positive about me taking them out to the range.

Anyway, she attended Ladies Night and arrived home with her silhouette target.
    She was like a daughter coming home with a report card of all "A's" to show her parents.
    The target had a bullet pattern no more than three inches in diameter around the bulls-eye.
    Crap, I can't even shoot that well most of the time and she did it her FIRST attempt.
    I guess she has no bad habits to overcome like I do.

To conclude the story, she also said she will be taking the CCW class in January.
    Again, I was shocked but not as much as before.
    It looks like our household will be purchasing another pistol next month.

Of course, this puts off my purchase of getting either an Armalite AR-10 or a DPMS LR-308 as I had planned to do in the springtime.
    "Proud To Have Been Banned by Huff PO"

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! Your hobby just got twice as fun, and twice as expensive.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    Fun stuff, congrats.

Good news for your ar purchase, you just cut the price in half with a second user!!!

Cool! And something new for you two to do together.

So what brought about the change for her all of a sudden, after 30+ years?
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Administrator
    That's great. You sure do sound proud of her.

Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    (Well, there was one time when I went pheasant hunting and she prayed for the well being and safety of the pheasants.)
    That is hilarious.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Women are SO fortunate, they are born without the John Wayne gene that most of us male shooters have. So much less to un-learn!

It's so much better when our ladies' motivation to shoot comes from themselves, and not from our urging. You're a lucky man!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds great. Now take her out gun shopping to see what she likes. Then make it a Christmas present. Life savers come in many sizes, shapes and flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    Cool! And something new for you two to do together.
    So what brought about the change for her all of a sudden, after 30+ years?
    This is somewhat personal but will share...
    Her fear of guns stems from her childhood. She actually remembers having a nightmare as a child and getting shot in the stomach. She obviously worked through this irrational fear and came to terms with it.

In part, it is basically because she is an avid listener of talk radio and has the TV on FoxNews most of the day. So she listens or watches Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly, etc.
    Over the past few years, the news of home invasions, other criminal threats, as well as the progressive movement has brought about an epiphany.
    Like me, she also has become a moderate "prepper".

It is interesting to note that as we mature, our priorities as well as our values change.
    "Proud To Have Been Banned by Huff PO"

Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    This is somewhat personal but will share...
    Her fear of guns stems from her childhood. She actually remembers having a nightmare as a child and getting shot in the stomach. She obviously worked through this irrational fear and came to terms with it.

In part, it is basically because she is an avid listener of talk radio and has the TV on FoxNews most of the day. So she listens or watches Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly, etc.
    Over the past few years, the news of home invasions, other criminal threats, as well as the progressive movement has brought about an epiphany.
    Like me, she also has become a moderate "prepper".

It is interesting to note that as we mature, our priorities as well as our values change.
    Well, there's a lot of positives there. Good for her for confronting several fears and seeing herself through. Good for you for your patience and understanding. She should have no trouble maintaining a healthy respect for firearms.

Congrats to you and your family.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Congratulations! Well worth deferring any personal purchases, to have your dear wife packin'. Most excellent.

Very good for her even though it took many years. Your story is not all that unusual.

My wife did much the same but she is from gun-unfriendly Illinois so firearms were not something she thought of. We hadn't been married very long when I went to get my permit. One night she announced she wanted to learn about my handguns, just in case she needed to use them while I was away.

Long story short, I taught her about them, took her shooting, loved it. Then she went to Sheriff's class, applied for permit, got it and carries a Ruger LCP just about any place she's legal to do.

Sometimes it just comes out of the blue.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Congrats to both of you. Now you have something else you can both share together. Stay safe.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Did she mention to you the Chippendale Dancers were teaching the gun safety course?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Did she mention to you the Chippendale Dancers were teaching the gun safety course?
    Ony if it was that easy to get all women intrested in guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links