Public Service Announcement

This is a discussion on Public Service Announcement within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So the wife decided that my good deed for the day was to take the front off the dryer so she can clean the lint ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Service Announcement

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

So the wife decided that my good deed for the day was to take the front off the dryer so she can clean the lint that escapes the trap.

HOLY CRAP!

I had no idea what a fire hazard the inside of a dryer could be. There was so much lint built up everywhere. Looking through the owners manual, it states the inside of the dryer should be cleaned every two years. News to me.

Anyhow, just thought I would pass this along to others.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Make sure you clean or replace the exhaust tubing. Mine had a kink in it and caused a backup of lint back into the dryer. Good luck. I just shampooed the rugs today. What a way to spend a weekend.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

CT-Mike, good move.

When I hike, I carry a small container of dryer lint as fire-starting tinder. That stuff is easy to set on fire!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Make sure to check the back of the dryer too if you can!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member
    CTMike,
    Your post really hit home. My 20-year-old-second-hand-moved-thrice-dryer quit working about a month ago.

While I was surfing the net for a new one the hubby is in the utility room taking it apart, I mean taking the drum out, and disconnecting the wiring harness. Along with all the lint you described, I found a saphire earring from the previous owner, three hairpins, numerous insect colonies, and about a pound of rust from it's days of living near the beach.

It was amazing to see the heat source, it looked like toaster coils with a hose coming out of it.

Fortunately but unfortunately I did not get a new dryer. I could not agree more with you on keeping them clean, that was a shock.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the post.

cg

VIP Member
    Really important topic.

And if you can't figure out how to clean it yourself, do the best you can with cleaning the dryer duct or replacing the dryer duct/ I use a leaf blower to get high speed high volume air through the duct. Also, just reach inside and get as much gunk as possible out. Consider hiring an appliance guy to clean inside of the dryer if you don't know how to take it apart.

One place folks often forget to clean is at the outlet where the hot air exits the house. That too will get gunked up and it will reduce overall efficiency.

It is sheer coincidence that this topic came up today. I need to replace my exterior draft blocker--that piece of metal or plastic that flaps open when the hot air is flowing and falls closed to keep cold air out. Sun and weather have finally caused the plastic to fall apart. This morning, it was straight off to HomeDepot for a new draft blocker and to look for masonry bits and screws to firmly attach the new one. The old one was glued on by the builder-idiot.

Looked around, looked around, didn't quite see the sizes I wanted, came home and luckily found the right stuff in a box behind Mrs. Hopyards potted plants. I practiced drilling a hole in an old piece of loose brick. I put the masonry screw in to check the fit, perfect fit. This will be a piece of cake project when I get around to actually doing it, some day. If I remember where I left the parts and pieces.

I'd also venture that you should vacuum the dog hair out from under your refrigerator coils as well
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I'd also venture that you should vacuum the dog hair out from under your refrigerator coils as well
    Tala,

Funny you should mention that. We have two German Shedders, and we pulled the fridge out the other day to clean under and behind. Needless to say it was another holy crap moment.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

This is probably one of the most overlooked things.

The old house I used to live in when I was single, the seller had left appliances. I found a birds nest inside the flexible hose from the dryer to the outside vent. The vent cover was broken and a bird had built inside. That was why the dryer was getting really hot. It had backed up the lint from the outside to the dryer. Wonder it didn't catch fire.

After I remarried, my wife now has an older dryer. I took the back off it and pulled out a ton of lint. Like the OP, it was amazing what amount had built up.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Oh, yes. The places dirt build-ups that you don't think about. Check your central air as well.

Back when I moved a lot (Navy), I'd take apart the kitchen range as well, every place I moved into. Every one of them had horrible grease build up somewhere out of sight.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Yup. Learned that the hard way too. One day it wouldn't keep things cool. Called the repair guy. Paid $125 bucks to learn that lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yup. Learned that the hard way too. One day it wouldn't keep things cool. Called the repair guy. Paid $125 bucks to learn that lesson.
    hehehe Also if you have a front loading washing machine they have a "junk trap" thingy, you might check that for dog hair balls before you call the repair guy ;)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

BTDT with the dryer. The belt broke. I spent more time cleaning than replacing the belt. They sell a brush that will reach down into the lint trap to get more lint out. We got ours from Fuller brush company. Don't get me started on my wife's hair and out drains. Yikes! Speaking of refrigerators. If it goes out, unplug it for a minute or two and plug it back in. Luckily I learned that from a friend, she had to pay $150 to learn it though. Stupid tax is tough.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have heard (but this has never been validated) that link build up is a very prevalent cause of home / house fires. Any validation here folks, from our Fire Department friends?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I have heard (but this has never been validated) that link build up is a very prevalent cause of home / house fires. Any validation here folks, from our Fire Department friends?
    (heheh) "Lint"?

This would not surprise me. I just took apart one of those little floor heaters, useful for toasting toes on a cold morning, and pulled out quite a bit of lint, hair, etc. I make a habit of looking at plugs to make sure they are not overheating, and feeling them for extra warmth. Changed out two that were melting in the last 10 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links