Need Opinions Concerning a Home Alarm Company

This is a discussion on Need Opinions Concerning a Home Alarm Company within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We want to have a system installed.We are considering ADT/Brinks or ProtectAmerica.Any experience with these companies?I checked the BBB rating for both companies.Even though they ...

Thread: Need Opinions Concerning a Home Alarm Company

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

We want to have a system installed.We are considering ADT/Brinks or ProtectAmerica.Any experience with these companies?I checked the BBB rating for both companies.Even though they both have many complaints,they seem to have satisfied the majority of these.I want to stay away from local companies because they seem to come and go.Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    We want to have a system installed.We are considering ADT/Brinks or ProtectAmerica.Any experience with these companies?I checked the BBB rating for both companies.Even though they both have many complaints,they seem to have satisfied the majority of these.I want to stay away from local companies because they seem to come and go.Thanks
    Are you certain you don't want to install one yourself? It seems that these days there are lots of wireless systems which can be easily installed and monitoring can be purchased too. I've nothing against the companies that install, and having it done professionally may well be right for you. I just want to make sure you have considered the full range of options.

I use a local company that is aligned with Alarm.com. They do a ton of commerical work, and have been around for quite a while. I can also monitor, arm/disarm my system from my Android phone. My old alarm company was Protection One, and they did a fine job as well...just didn't have the geek factor I was looking for.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I have ADT w/ full monitoring and love it. their customer service is very good and they have always seemed to work with me to resolve any and all problems i may have had.Ive never had a major issue though. sometimes you may have to ask to speak to a supervisor on some issues though, it seems the company only gives limited power/authority to how far someone can go to resolve a problem to the personal who initially answer the phone but ultimatly i am very happy. there is an option that they offer for a few dollars more a month for free service and repair, i would recomment getting it at least for the first couple of months becuase you inevatally going to have unforseen problems w/ things like were the motion detector is placed and it will have to be relocated, i think after the first month they charge a fee to come out unless you have that service plan, but you can drop it off any time as far as i know.

I would recomend staying away from a local company because if something were to happen in the area and they were getting multiple calls your activation may go on waiting list or get a busy signal and not go through, the bigger companys have it set up that it instantly rerouts the call to the next avalible hub of operators, it could be on the other side of the country but it will go through instantly. and if you have a local company with only 1 hub what if there is a problem w/ the phone lines, or power, or something like that and they dont get the call. not to mention like you said they come and go in the night it seem like, at least in my area i cant even keep track of the none know companys i see advetiesed one month and then are gone the next.

Are you certain you don't want to install one yourself? It seems that these days there are lots of wireless systems which can be easily installed and monitoring can be purchased too. I've nothing against the companies that install, and having it done professionally may well be right for you. I just want to make sure you have considered the full range of options.
    this is really something to consider i have wireless and it is really really easy to install. i had a guy save me alot of money on the system, he worked for a smaller company and was a friend of a friend and he got the sensors, panel, and motion detectors at his price and installed it for cheep for me. so if you know i guy consider it. cost for a window sensor was almost double if ADT installed it (same Brand)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I used to work for ADT as a sales rep, they have a few promos going on and their the best imho
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

We dropped ADT years ago due to customer service issues & not wanting to be in long term contracts. They also had slow response times to our alarm & rarely did as we instructed them to. I would most likely never sign up with ADT again.

I suggest using a company that doesn't require a contract or has one that has an easy no more than 30 day out. To me companies that need long term contracts with no easy out really don't believe in their ability to keep their customers happy & loyal. I try my best to avoid those companies but unfortunately there are some industries you can't avoid them. I am a very loyal customer as long as I receive good customer service.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Thanks for the answers

If all else fails, you can always depend upon the "Big Dog and Big Gun" alarm company...it's a private outfit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If all else fails, you can always depend upon the "Big Dog and Big Gun" alarm company...it's a private outfit.
    And you can't beat the customer service.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    We've had ADT for about 5 yrs. If it were not for the fact that we get a discount on our homeowners ins. that pretty near pays the monthly ADT bill, I would cancel the service tomorrow. First of all, this would be their typical response in the event we had a break-in. They would attempt to call us. Since we go north to escape the hurricane and summer heat season in FL. we would not answer our phone. Next they would call our contact person, my best friend who lives a few miles from my house and is here all year round.He may or may not be home. If these attempts fail, they would call our local police who theoretically would dispatch patrol cars to our house. All of this would probably take 20-30 minutes. Most of the crime in our neighborhood has been more like smash and grab where the BG's break a window or sliding glass door with a cinder block or kick in the front door. They're in and gone in 5 minutes or less, going right for electronics, cash, jewelry or guns.

For the last 5 years, every summer within 2 weeks of leaving home, we have gotten a call from my best friend telling us he received a call from ADT about an alarm signal they receive from our house indicating a faulty alarm sensor. So far the batteries that are supposed to last 5 years are lucky to last 1. ADT does not service their own equipment and hires a sub-contractor to do their service and installation. This company charges $25.00 to come to your house to check anything out. If they decide it was due to faulty equipment, they claim they will refund the $25. I'm still waiting for the first refund even after they had to replace 2 motion sensors that failed during the first 3 mos. For the past 2 years, we have simply had my friend disable the system after the repeating false alarms. If you call for the service, they will give you a day with an 8 hour window which means, my friend would have to come to my house where everything is turned off, water, A/C, sat. TV, ref. and freezer and sit in a dark room because we have hurricane shutters on every window and door, and wait for a serviceman to show up. And he would have to have a check in his hand. I've heard Brinks isn't any better. I just hope all the ADT signs and stickers they put up around the house will keep BG's away. It's all a big scam!

Sponsored Links