Executions continue steady nationwide decline

This is a discussion on Executions continue steady nationwide decline within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/21/...iref=allsearch Conservative justices -- led by Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas -- have chided lower courts for casting aside congressional mandates that death sentences be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Executions continue steady nationwide decline

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/21/...iref=allsearch

Conservative justices -- led by Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas -- have chided lower courts for casting aside congressional mandates that death sentences be carried out without unnecessary delay. Liberal justices -- including an increasing vocal Sonia Sotomayor -- worry that states and the lower courts are not following high court precedent to ensure capital inmates get a full hearing of their appeals.
    Nothing like a Supreme Court Justice flagrantly ignoring THE LAW because she's smarter than all of us.

The appointment of that lady is going to bite us in the heinie...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Capital punishment is touchy subject. I believe in self defense, but, I abhor Capital punishment. Just seems ineffective and makes no sense to kill people just to teach the general public that killing people is wrong.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    Capital punishment is touchy subject. I believe in self defense, but, I abhor Capital punishment. Just seems ineffective and makes no sense to kill people just to teach the general public that killing people is wrong.
    I used to think that it was cheaper to kill them than imprison them for life. That is not the case apparently.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    It seems ineffective because it's not done soon enough,nor as frequently as it should.

Cool

I believe that it definately eliminates the possibility of the convicted capitol murder offender from committing the same offense again and it teaches him or her that murder is wrong.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Laws should be made that create dead offenders, not repeat offenders (and they do repeat offend...even in prison).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    It seems ineffective because it's not done soon enough,nor as frequently as it should.
    Yep....three appeals (1st one is free)...and all within 5 years....If you can't get the court to change/overturn the verdict, get in the express lane.

Punishment has three attributes to deter crime:

Punishment must be certain: The criminal must know the punishment will be carried out and why the punishment is being meted out

Punishment must be swift: The criminal must be punished in a period of time to understand the severity and impact of the crime on the victim

Punishment must be severe: The criminal must be punished in a manner to deter future crimes, and be an example of what NOT to do.

All these elements put together results in crime deterrence--if one element is missing, the punishment is worthless...and does not deter crime.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Back to the days of the old west....the posse, and the sheriff. Hangings and firing squads. Third world countries keep it simple in ways of dealing with criminals. Few prisons......convicted felons show who they are for the most part (or parts missing). We've missed a lot with the capital punishment ordeal in order to make things more humane. Where did lawyers come from? England....the British empire we sent packing home. Just like Japan and how they own us now after killing so many Americans in war. We're weak and subjugated no matter what we created some 200+ years ago. And to this day.....we still somehow talk about and make the act of killing a human being into science and research....in self defense, in war, and for the ultimate punishment of crimes committed against life. Within the past 200 years, we've put people to death for making stew out of bones in the moonlight (witches?)............for standing in our way of conquering the wilderness and territory (the native Indian).....etc. How easy was that? Yet we can't come to terms with killing a criminal who should give an eye for an eye? We're twisted in so many ways that we can't make any good judgments now. Our rights under our constitution were written forever....and now even those ideals are subject to review by those who would judge others. Capitol punishment should still exist. Granted.....capitol punishment is not a threat like once was the hanging of a horse thief. What's a threat to us all is letting things go on the way they are. IMO.........justice IS blind because we've taken her eyes.
    We really have no right to be disappointed in the way things have become now. Our day for arguments has come to a close. We didn't do what was needed at the time for our own personal reasons. Each and every time I hear of "the team aspect"......it pisses me off because I know what that term truly means....some look the other way....some try to haul the weight of many, some get tired of hauling the weight, and some just don't care. We've made everything we're worried about now. I'll gladly take my fair share of the blame.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yep....three appeals (1st one is free)...and all within 5 years....If you can't get the court to change/overturn the verdict, get in the express lane.

Punishment must be certain: The criminal must know the punishment will be carried out and why the punishment is being meted out

Punishment must be swift: The criminal must be punished in a period of time to understand the severity and impact of the crime on the victim

Punishment must be severe: The criminal must be punished in a manner to deter future crimes, and be an example of what NOT to do.

All these elements put together results in crime deterrence--if one element is missing, the punishment is worthless...and does not deter crime.
    Three? I was thinking maybe one within a year.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    I used to think that it was cheaper to kill them than imprison them for life. That is not the case apparently.
    A bullet doesn't cost so much and is better than many of them deserve.....imo....we're just animals in suits....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I agree with hudsonvalley. Shorten the time spanthey are on death row. Have express lanes and free up prison space.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Here in Texas if you kill someone the state will kill you back!

Eh i think we need to do it in the most torturous way possible criminals should have no rights and live in prison on bread and water like the old days keep costs down and also if you bring back hanging only has the cost of a rope and can hang multiple offender with one rope

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

Yep. And the first and second have been tossed out the window by letting those sentenced sit on death row eating three meals a day until they die of old age.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I could agree completely with the notion that the appeal process is completed and the sentence carried out within a year except for one thing: There have been too many death row inmates proven to be innocent to make me comfortable with that schedule. Ambitious prosecutors, poor investigations, corruption of evidence, and other errors have added up to a number of folks being placed on death row that hadn't committed any crime.

I don't have a problem shooting to stop someone who is attacking me or my family, invading my house, trying to jack my car, or threatening death or grave injury in a public location - the assailant's innocence isn't in doubt at all in that situation. But I do think the number of innocent people found on death row indicates the death penalty needs to be very carefully justified and the appeal process needs to run it's course.

Fitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links