Taking sides..Us vs Them

Taking sides..Us vs Them

This is a discussion on Taking sides..Us vs Them within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In recent threads there have been some very heated replies when discussing issues involving police actions. It does not help your position whichever side you ...

Thread: Taking sides..Us vs Them

Taking sides..Us vs Them

In recent threads there have been some very heated replies when discussing issues involving police actions. It does not help your position whichever side you take. Why emotion should never be used to replace reason when defending a valid position. Emotion is no match for cool headed reasoning in a discussion.

It would be nice if we could discuss and evaluate the actions of a person while ignoring the person himself. By that I mean if we are discussing something a Union member did or what an individual police officer may have done lets look at the action involved and not who they work for.

One of my local area police dropped in last night and I brought this up with him.
    I told him that I have often wondered how some of these threads would change if the person posting them reversed the main characters job titles but left the actions the same. How many of us would change sides?
    He agreed with me that probably most people would let their emotions rule instead of facts.

Michael

Administrator
    Interesting thought that has crossed my mind many times too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    In my opinion, you are correct. We see it here every day.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I comment on very few police related threads, but I have to say something on a few of them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Any situation or discussion degenerates when decorum is lost.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I agree with the sentiment and the good intentions of Michael's post.

However, not only is it human nature to use emotion, the discussions here would be rather sterile if some of that didn't crop in.

Heck, folks here get emotional over a caliber or a flashlight brand; over the meaning of a phrase in an obscure law. How much more so then for various issues where life and death, civil rights and justice are involved.

However, not only is it human nature to use emotion, the discussions here would be rather sterile if some of that didn't crop in.
    Emotion is human I agree. However as adults we learn to control it and not let it decide for us. Decisions made with emotions can be deadly. Take first responders for example. They are taught to not follow their first basic instinct to jump in and save someone. That very often leads to two deaths instead of one. Although your heart says jump in and save the man your training tells you to step back. Gather your thoughts and then act.
    Do you want juries to act on their feelings or on the merits of the case. Regardless of their personal likes or dislikes?
    You feel with your heart.
    You think with your head.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Emotion is human I agree. However as adults we learn to control it and not let it decide for us. Decisions made with emotions can be deadly. Take first responders for example. They are taught to not follow their first basic instinct to jump in and save someone. That very often leads to two deaths instead of one. Although your heart says jump in and save the man your training tells you to step back. Gather your thoughts and then act.
    Do you want juries to act on their feelings or on the merits of the case. Regardless of their personal likes or dislikes?
    You feel with your heart.
    You think with your head.

Michael
    Excellent post.

While I often like spirited, even heated debates, it serves no purpose and objectivity is lost when decorum breaks down and peoples emotions get the best of them.

I have certainly had that happen to me. I'm no angel, but I do try my best to keep an objective eye on the debate. Otherwise it doesn't benefit anyone.

A couple of times I think a thread has been shut down prematurely, but that's neither here nor there. It's not my call and doesn't happen very often.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links