Sheriff Removes Hoops from Jail

This is a discussion on Sheriff Removes Hoops from Jail within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is great, a Sheriff that makes jail more like jail and less of a country club. No smoking, no cable TV and no hoops. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff Removes Hoops from Jail

Distinguished Member

Sheriff Removes Hoops from Jail

This is great, a Sheriff that makes jail more like jail and less of a country club. No smoking, no cable TV and no hoops.

There are some concerns about the prisoners not having an outlet, what happened to the days of inmates having some sort of job? Making vehicle tags, cleaning the highways, etc?

“This is a county jail; it is not a gymnasium,” Judd said today. “It’s not some place where inmates can show up to have pickup games of basketball with their thug friends.”
    http://policelink.monster.com/news/a...ates-to-church

2. Remove Ads

Very bad policy, IMHO. Basketball lets those guys relieve some stress.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

"[This is great, a Sheriff that makes jail more like jail and less of a country club. No smoking, no cable TV and no hoops.]"
    AS IT should be!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I think this is great. If they need to release some stress they can do it picking up trash or making something. I agree it's not the boys club, it's jail and it's not supposed to be fun.

Let them relieve stress on each other.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

That's easy to say. But I know some COs in a 1200 bed facility, and this would put them in even more jeopardy. The are locked in a unit with over 60 inmates that they have to manage, with only a radio, man down alarm and pepper spray.

This may work in a linear facility, but it would be hazardous to staff in a direct obs unit.

Like they He said if you want to play basketball don't go to jail, but as far as a prison I think they should have some kind of sports they can play as long as they've earned it through good behavior.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Congrats to the sheriff.
    The thugs prefer gangs, so let's make lots of chain gangs that do work details. Work is a great stress reliever!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Idle hands are the devil's workshop, no?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    That's easy to say. But I know some COs in a 1200 bed facility, and this would put them in even more jeopardy. The are locked in a unit with over 60 inmates that they have to manage, with only a radio, man down alarm and pepper spray.

This may work in a linear facility, but it would be hazardous to staff in a direct obs unit.
    Absolutely with you on this one. You don't want them spending time figuring out ways to create more issues either. People who usually make coments otherwise, haven't been inside one nor what it's like in there, or believe everyone is behind bars all of the time and the personnel are secure (which they are not).
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Jail inmates – usually males ages 18 to 35 – need an outlet for their energy and, if left to their own devices, will find things to do, like causing problems for each other or deputies, Leach said.
    Chain gangs like we had back in the 60’s and 70’s worked rather well in keeping inmates occupied and out of trouble. If they have so much pent up energy then put it to constructive use.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Chain gangs and picking up trash are great. The problem is most facilities are already under staffed with 60 hours a week work hours the norm. Who's gonna supervise them?

It's justnot that simple. Correctional officers are tasked with proper care and custody of inmates. They are responsible for their well being and safety. Ever heard of PREA? Prison Rape Elimination Act. It's a new federal mandate signed into law by George Bush and takes effect this year. Another responsibility of COs.

There is much, much more to it than just throw'em all in to he'll with them. COs can be held criminally responsible if they don't provide adequate protection and aid. They have a "duty to care".

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    COs can be held criminally responsible if they don't provide adequate protection and aid. They have a "duty to care".
    I sure wish the regular police had the same 'duty'. No, this is not cut on all LEO's everywhere, it's more of a shake my head at our legal system.

I don't know what the answer is, but isn't punishment supposed to be difficult? I always thought punishment was 'supposed' to be a deterrent to a behavior not a reward. Granted I don't work in a jail so I have no first hand experience. If we need to provide all the recreation etc. something is definitely wrong. Maybe I'm just old fashioned or out of touch.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

The jail setting is not for punishment, but rather a holding area until they are convicted of the crime. The maximum sentence one can recieve in jail is 12 months, which is for lighter offences. The more severe offences are served out in prison.

Inmates cannot be forced to do hard labor. I personally wish this was not the case, but it is.

I do transports for many facilities as well as the US Marshalls office, so I have two badges and deal with them all, but mostly Feds such as Terror suspects, sex crimes , armed robbers, and killers.

Most of these are considered high risk transports , and I spend alot of time in facilities getting to know the staff. I have alot of respect for the COs that deal with theses people inside. It takes a special person to do this job.

An officer on the street can call back up to deal with one of these criminals, the modern CO is locked in with 30-60 of them alone and expected to maintain order. Alot can happen to them before all the security doors are opened allowing help to get there.

I would not like that job, and anything they can have such as recreation to use to keep trouble down is much needed for their safety.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I used to work for a Sheriff, and the state Dept. of Corrections (VA).

Remember that among those incarcerated are plenty of basically good people who got on the wrong side of the law. Some made stupid mistakes, some have committed minor crimes that have no effect on most of us, a few might actually be wrongly convicted. Most aren't violent, and they have families who love them. Whatever their circumstance, they are all still human beings and must be kept safe by law, as the government has confined them, the government must safeguard them.

Inmates need something to keep them busy for many reasons. I don't like weightlifting but I don't have a problem with basketball or even basic cable. What amazed me was they had access to a telephone. We had two COs for 100 inmates in a dorm setting split by the control room. One CO sat in the control room and the other floated between the two dorms. We were one man short due to a military deployment. The Sergeant sat outside the inner security fence and was out only backup in case things went bad.

So what's the Sheriff going to do to keep his inmates busy? There should be a lot more educational offerings and job placement upon release. We should be trying to make these guys productive citizens, not repeat offenders.

Yes jails are for 12 month maximum sentencing on Misdemeanors but many jails in SE VA also house state and federal prisoners due to overcrowding or under contract.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links