TSA is inept (like we didn't already know this)

This is a discussion on TSA is inept (like we didn't already know this) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; TSA error causes big delays for Texas airport http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=13741290 The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) was unable to find a woman who breached a security checkpoint ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA is inept (like we didn't already know this)

TSA is inept (like we didn't already know this)

TSA error causes big delays for Texas airport

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=13741290

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) was unable to find a woman who breached a security checkpoint at a Texas airport Christmas day, despite a manhunt that left more than 100 flights delayed.

The TSA said agents spotted something suspicious while an elderly woman went through a full-body scanner at the Dallas Fort Woth International Airport.

By the time security agents tried to pull the woman aside for additional screening, she'd already moved into the terminal.

TSA described the slip-up as a minor error, although it sparked a manhunt throughout the entire airport. Security agents mobilized the command post. Officers searched terminals for the women, whose photos were given to gate agents.

In the process, officers held dozens of flights in order to search planes.

"That breach delayed more than 100 flights coming in and out of the airport," said Jonathan Betz, with Dallas Forth Worth International Airport. "Some passengers had to wait up to two hours."

After hours of searching, agents still were not able to locate the woman.

Agents said she did nothing wrong and likely didn't even realize security had flagged her.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

The purpose of the TSA is to provide employment for thousands of democrat voters, and transfer billions of dollars from taxpayers to the people who are selling scanner machines. (Like former DHS head Michael Chertoff) Now we hear the machines don't find weapons or explosives, but they make nice nude pictures, so it's not a total loss.
    The sooner you understand this, the less frustrated you will be at the bureaucracy. It's not real security, it's a jobs program.

Well, why didn't somebody say this in the first place? I feel so much better now...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    The purpose of the TSA is to provide employment for thousands of democrat voters
    The sooner you understand this, the less frustrated you will be at the bureaucracy. It's not real security, it's a jobs program.
    Come on now. There is no cause to inject partisan politics into this. And do remember that TSA was a creation of the prior administration not this one. You do remember that little fact, I hope.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Well good to know they have not broken their record of NOT successfully stopping a terrorist threat since their inception!!!
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Well good to know they have not broken their record of NOT successfully stopping a terrorist threat since their inception!!!
    We don't really know that now, do we? Since you can't prove the negative, it is certainly possible that many attacks were prevented simply because TSA would complicate the plan. We need something, I just don't think what we presently do is particularly efficient or wise or even constitutional.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    We don't really know that now, do we? Since you can't prove the negative, it is certainly possible that many attacks were prevented simply because TSA would complicate the plan. We need something, I just don't think what we presently do is particularly efficient or wise or even constitutional.
    While Hop and myself rarely agree I have to give him credit here.

So, they can't even apprehend a little old lady, and ...

they were wrong about any potential danger they thought she posed ...

Go figure.

After hours of searching, agents still were not able to locate the woman.

Agents said she did nothing wrong and likely didn't even realize security had flagged her.
    If this is true, why was she selected for additionaly screening and why did they feel the need to lock down the airport.

And if they did feel the need to lock down the airport, isn't nice to know that after failing to stop her, AND failing to find her, they gave up and let everyone go flying?

The purpose of the TSA is to provide employment for thousands of democrat voters, and transfer billions of dollars from taxpayers to the people who are selling scanner machines. (Like former DHS head Michael Chertoff) Now we hear the machines don't find weapons or explosives, but they make nice nude pictures, so it's not a total loss.
    You could remove the political party name(s) from this post and it would would not alter the truth significantly. TSA is the epitome of "we've got to do SOMETHING," feel-good thinking. How about "benchmarking" the successful practices of other countries with respect to transportation security? Maybe countries that don't have billions to spend on questionable scanning technology have some good ideas and/or effective tehniques?

About the last honest thing Janet Napolitano said is "Show me a 50-foot fence, and I'll show you a 51-foot ladder." Not that we should relax and just be reactive, but ignoring the fact that young Muslim males are the most likely ones to wreak mayhem on US carriers and doing full-body scans and/or offensive gropes of the general populace just seems like the wrong way to achieve transportation security.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My Brother is a TSA Director and a very conservative Republican leaning person, so he must have slipped through somehow. There are several Air Marshals who started out as TSA and got accepted in to the Marshall Program and are doing fine work. I'm not defending the TSA, there are some morons and knuckleheads for sure. I do wish they would take some plays out of the Israel screener's handbook, but overall the people we all come in contact with are just trying to do a job and make a paycheck, just like us.

I've worked in IT for Telecom, sports management, oil & gas, banking and food distribution and all of them had good people and total idiots and the TSA is no different; we just see more of them in one spot.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    My Brother is a TSA Director and a very conservative Republican leaning person, so he must have slipped through somehow. There are several Air Marshals who started out as TSA and got accepted in to the Marshall Program and are doing fine work. I'm not defending the TSA, there are some morons and knuckleheads for sure. I do wish they would take some plays out of the Israel screener's handbook, but overall the people we all come in contact with are just trying to do a job and make a paycheck, just like us.

I've worked in IT for Telecom, sports management, oil & gas, banking and food distribution and all of them had good people and total idiots and the TSA is no different; we just see more of them in one spot.
    That kind of rational thinking only tends to disrupt a perfectly good rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    My Brother is a TSA Director
    It would be very interesting to me to hear his perspective on all of this.
    ---

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    At my last tower TSA and their sniffing machine stopped a young Arabic woman from bringing a "bottle of holy water" onto a plane. Now this "bottle of holy water" hit up the sniffer machine so strongly that it locked up, had to be cleaned and locked up again. Then the bomb sniffing dog indicated on it as well. The FBI, WV State Police and numerous other folks were called in. When the bomb squad got there they put the "bottle of holy water" into a container filled with dry ice. IIRC water will freeze solid in around a minute or two next to dry ice. This "bottle of holy water" never froze at all.

In the aftermath I spoke to the chief of airport police about it and he said that they believe (but never got a straight answer from the Feds) that the bottle contained or was wiped with the chemicals used to make a binary explosive. They felt that the woman was testing security at a smaller airport, IE probing our defenses.

My next door neighbor at the time was an FBI agent. He told me they (the FBI) were "following up on her" and left it at that. I have never heard anything more about it.

I think TSA does allot more than you ever hear about.

Link:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/US_Airpo..._bomb%27_scare
    Last edited by atctimmy; December 28th, 2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    They felt that the woman was testing security at a smaller airport, IE probing our defenses.

I think TSA does allot more than you ever hear about.]
    A friend of mine is a 757/767 jockey for United. He has had passengers on his flights test security by changing seats, occupying the forward rest rooms for long periods of time, and a host of other ways. His hands are tied, but he reports incidents like that to the FBI.

I'm sure there are some TSA folks who do more than we ever hear about, but those are not the folks the traveling public comes into contact with at airports. The larger problem is that the strategic approach of the TSA is to use minimally-trained people in direct contact with travelers, so every traveler has some TSA contact. I'd prefer a smaller number of more highly trained agents, so the screening process is more refined. I look forward to "TSA 2.0".
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links