Interesting conversation with an anti-gun lady

This is a discussion on Interesting conversation with an anti-gun lady within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At my club today I was introduced by a friend to a lady who asked what I do for a living. I told her that ...

Thread: Interesting conversation with an anti-gun lady

Interesting conversation with an anti-gun lady

At my club today I was introduced by a friend to a lady who asked what I do for a living. I told her that I was a retired cop and that I now make leather holsters and accessories.

The nice lady spoke at some length about her hatred of guns, her belief that no one should have guns, and that guns are only good for killing people.

After listening to her politely, I told her that many of my guns appeared to be defective, since they had never killed anyone, including several that I have owned for over 30 years, and that I intended to complain to the manufacturers immediately.

I enjoyed the conversation, probably more than she did.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

2. Remove Ads

LOL good come back.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    At my club today I was introduced by a friend to a lady who asked what I do for a living. I told her that I was a retired cop and that I now make leather holsters and accessories.

The nice lady spoke at some length about her hatred of guns, her belief that no one should have guns, and that guns are only good for killing people.

After listening to her politely, I told her that many of my guns appeared to be defective, since they had never killed anyone, including several that I have owned for over 30 years, and that I intended to complain to the manufacturers immediately.

Best regards.
    Good one - I will remember this one.

Best regards.
    I'm sure this helped change her point of view, after all, we all know how reasonable and logically-thinking most of these 'antis' are. ;-p
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member

Best regards.
    ^^^^YEAH^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kinda like forks made fat people fat.

You did fine!!!

Here are some I use:

When they say: You say:
    Guns kill .. ///// Guns save lives
    Guns cause crime .. ///// Guns stop crime
    Guns are bad.. //// Guns are why America is still free
    Assault weapons are bad.. ///// Assault is a type of behavior
    Guns are so dangerous..//// Guns are supposed to be dangerous
    Guns are too dangerous to own .. ///// You should take a safety class
    People shouldn't have guns..///// Maybe you shouldn't have one
    Guns should be totally outlawed .. ///// Let's try that with drugs first
    The purpose of a gun is to kill.. //// The purpose of a gun is to protect
    People don't need guns.. /// Only good people need guns
    Guns should go away .. /// as you would ask of me

They should take away all the guns ...//// Bad guys first
    They should take away all the guns
    because they're so dangerous .. //// Who exactly is "they" you would give all these dangerous guns to?

Gun owners should be registered .. //// Bad guys first
    Gun owners should be registered
    to help stop crim .. //// So, how would writing my name on a government list help stop crime?

We need more gun laws..//// Criminal activity is already banned
    Why would anyone
    want to own a gun? .. //// You're kidding, right? You mean you really don't know? Well, why do you
    think we give guns to the police
    I'm not against people having guns..//// What sort of guns do you think
    people should have, and why
    Do you really have a gun?../// Of course, don't you?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Now that's funny. I hope you don't mind but I may borrow your defective line, that was priceless.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Good come back...but....

Most of the "anti's" that I speak with suffer from the illusion that we are always "safe" because we are in America, there are police all around to protect us and that crime only happens to other people and will not happen to them.

Then, it happens. A violent crime perpetrated against them and they cannot wait to get a firearm for "protection." They do not understand the reasoning behind owning a firearm until something horrible happens. I hope she never has to be the victim of a crime, but when it happens, she will change her mind in a nano second about guns
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I gotta ask.........what was her reply to that?

Good one by the way!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Great conversation you had with her, will it change her mind I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

I also like the saying: If guns kill people do pencils misspell words?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Like it or not, guns are adept at causing injury and death. Rather than being disingenuous when faced with this argument, I choose to embrace it.

"Of course guns are good for killing, as well as target practice, hunting and other related pursuits. They are of great utility for killing or otherwise incapacitating someone bent on robbing or causing harm to me or my wife and children, that's why I have one on me right now. I embrace the responsibility granted to me by God almighty as well as the government to provide for my own safety. I will not rely on a police officer, if he happens to be standing next to me, to put his life in jeopardy to protect mine. I do not expect him to be there anyway. Look around, do you see a police officer right now? Guns are dangerous but useful, just like cars, and I intend to be proficient in the use of both. Ma'am, if you have no use for guns, that's fine by me. People should be able to recognize their limitations. I wish you great luck if you ever find yourself wishing you were armed."

Dang I need to write that down and keep in in my wallet!

That statement will either make her think or walk away. Either way, you win.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Good come back...but....

Most of the "anti's" that I speak with suffer from the illusion that we are always "safe" because we are in America, there are police all around to protect us and that crime only happens to other people and will not happen to them.

Then, it happens. A violent crime perpetrated against them and they cannot wait to get a firearm for "protection." They do not understand the reasoning behind owning a firearm until something horrible happens. I hope she never has to be the victim of a crime, but when it happens, she will change her mind in a nano second about guns
    I agree with all but the last part. There are those that then go even more to the extreme trying to create more laws against guns.
    Does Brady Campaign sound familiar?? The VT student shot four times, Colin Goddard, who is now an Assistant Director of Legislative Affairs at the Brady Campaign. Trying to close "gun show loopholes".

They never try to fix the actual problem, i.e. - that Seung-Hui Cho's mental health diagnosis wan't sent to the state like it was supposed to. So it could be flagged when a NCIC check performed.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar

Best regards.
    I imagine that the look on her face was priceless.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Like it or not, guns are adept at causing injury and death. Rather than being disingenuous when faced with this argument, I choose to embrace it.

"Of course guns are good for killing, as well as target practice, hunting and other related pursuits. They are of great utility for killing or otherwise incapacitating someone bent on robbing or causing harm to me or my wife and children, that's why I have one on me right now. I embrace the responsibility granted to me by God almighty as well as the government to provide for my own safety. I will not rely on a police officer, if he happens to be standing next to me, to put his life in jeopardy to protect mine. I do not expect him to be there anyway. Look around, do you see a police officer right now? Guns are dangerous but useful, just like cars, and I intend to be proficient in the use of both. Ma'am, if you have no use for guns, that's fine by me. People should be able to recognize their limitations. I wish you great luck if you ever find yourself wishing you were armed."

Dang I need to write that down and keep in in my wallet!

That statement will either make her think or walk away. Either way, you win.
    Guns are inanimate objects and can't cause anything. Although a person adept at useing them can cause injury and death.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/adept
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I'm real tempted to just use the catch-all response "Wow, how persistent of you to live so long and remain so ignorant."

Links