Japanese sword splits 9mm bullet

This is a discussion on Japanese sword splits 9mm bullet within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's an article at wired.com that presents a YouTube video that looks to be taken from a Japanese TV program where they fired a 9mm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese sword splits 9mm bullet

Here's an article at wired.com that presents a YouTube video that looks to be taken from a Japanese TV program where they fired a 9mm bullet at the edge of a katana (samurai sword) and the bullet was split leaving no visible damage to the sword. Pretty cool.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/09/katana-sword-ta/
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Tough luck for them they didnt perfect that during the Island Hopping Campaigns of the Pacific

There was a TV show, on the History Channel, Discovery or one of them, where this little guy with a big mustache was always trying to duplicate a weapon of old. He made his own samurai sword and put it against the real thing. They fired bullets at them and both split the bullets. I think one had a small nick. It was a nifty show, but I can't for the life of me remember if I ever saw what it was called, lol.
    When you think about it, hardenend steel against lead is no match unless its an actual fight.

Interesting. I saw and episode of Stan Lee's Superhumans where a Japanese man split a baseball "pitched" to him by a former MLB pitcher with a sword on the draw. The pitcher threw the ball and the swordsman drew his sword and sliced the ball in half in one motion. Later someone fired what appeared to be an airsoft or BB gun and he was able to draw and slice that projectile in two also. I'm sure the velocity was not close to a typical 9mm but I'd like to think with enough practice, skill, dedication, quality blade, and right amount of the force it would possible to do this to a bullet in flight.

I am however grateful they didn't demostrate or have these skills during the war. Although it may have been easier then with the larger, slower .45 acp.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Well, I'll take the 9mm. I just can't see me out there with a sword trying to parry the shots coming at me, I'm getting older and I'm not that fast anymore.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

PAcanis,
    I believe the show you are referring to is Weapon Masters, originally on the Discovery Channel, now also on the Military Channel.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Well, if it had only been something beginning with a .4.... Yes, I am trying to start a caliber war.
    Never bring a 9mm to a swordfight. Maybe. Almost never.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 30th, 2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: inserted omitted word
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

That depends. At ten yards, I would take the 9mm, at three feet, the sword.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I've got a feeling that subsequent rounds might give the swordsman all he wants.....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    PAcanis,
    I believe the show you are referring to is Weapon Masters, originally on the Discovery Channel, now also on the Military Channel.
    Thanks. That's the show.

VIP Member
    Well, I'm glad I wasn't paying to see this clip. It was interesting but not overwhelming. I suspect you could use a Buck knife with similar results.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

For some reason this clip seems relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Edit: Plus, cutting the projectile in two doesn't stop it...it just creates two entry points.

Joe
    Last edited by joeuc23; December 30th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Since I'm not as fast as Luke "Jedi" Skywalker nor does the force guide me, I'll stick with my G19 and those soft lead bits wraped in a jacket.

During WWII , in China and the Pacific, many prisoners died over Japanese "testing" their swords ..... to see how many heads they could hack off in one swing. If you ever visit NE China, do not bring up anything about the Japanese. They still maintain the buildings the Japanese used there as their headquarters, and a museum with pictures, etc. of all of the 100's of thousands of people they killed while they occupied the area after invading it. It is to remind everyone of what the Japanese did. If you bring it up, expect a 2-5 hr speech about how they still hate the Japanese, as they never apologized for any of it. Death by a Japanese sword was a very common occurrence, especially Chinese babies.

Respect the man who made the swords so well, but not the men who used them and how they used them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Here is a short slide show of how a traditional katana is made. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/samurai/swor-flash.html
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links