Scam warning

This is a discussion on Scam warning within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got a delivery from UPS today, opened the envelope and there was a $500 gift card for Best Buy purchased from a site in PA. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam warning

Scam warning

Got a delivery from UPS today, opened the envelope and there was a $500 gift card for Best Buy purchased from a site in PA. I checked and it was valid, so I called the seller to find out how I came to be in posession of it. Found out it was purchased on one of my credit card accounts. They made other purchases all adding up to over $1200. Got in touch with the card company and fraudulent charges removed, but of course I have to get a new number/card.

No online purchases since October, so I'm not sure what happened. Guess the first purchase from wherever they were was sent to me was to remove suspicion.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Same thing happened to me a few months ago, on my debit cards. (Both accounts, no less) Bank rectified the problem, after a couple of weeks, and many phone calls, and I too have new account numbers. It has gotten downright scary.
    I "suspect" mine started when I paid for a meal in my favorite restaurant. It was a busy evening, and waitress took my card, and never brought it back. I kept stopping her, as she whizzed by, and finally stood up and stopped her, and demanded my card to be returned. She has always been a top notch waitress, and I find it hard to suspect her, but-------------

VIP Member
    My card was counterfeited after using it at a local carwash. They took like' forever to process the charge claiming the machine or server was acting up. I was very suspicious as the car-wiper guys were involved in the process and that was very much out of place. Still, I’m a former LEO and paranoid anal-retentive OCD gun nut, so I just figured it was me.

As it turned out, they were the culprits but I was never able to prove it. Unlike before, I now carry more cash and I’m much less likely to let my cards out of my sight for payment. The newer near-field card machines will address this problem.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Skimming is another way they get debit/credit/atm card info. It is a card reader that look legit that is placed over top of the real slot. They use cameras or binoculars to get pin numbers. I use cash more often now. I mostly use credit cards for gas.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Happened to me earlier in the year with the same card, company caught it on charges under $100 and cancelled the card, only problem was I was on vacation and was not notified of the problem. Found out when I went to pay for parking at the airport @1:00 am. Fortunately I had another card.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

That's why I'm a cash kind of guy & (1) credit card ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Happened to me earlier in the year with the same card, company caught it on charges under $100 and cancelled the card, only problem was I was on vacation and was not notified of the problem. Found out when I went to pay for parking at the airport @1:00 am. Fortunately I had another card.
    Had that happen to me, too. Didn't have any other form of payment on hand. Had to leave the bag of groceries at the store. Pretty embarrassing.

When walking up to a ATM pull on the card the reader. If it feels loose there may be a skimming device on top of the real reader.Also cover the key pad with your hand so the hidden camera can not see the pin that you are typing in.

Better Scam. Thieves have placed real working ATM on street corners. The average person removes $20.00-$40.00 at a time. These machines skim the info and captures the pin number as it is typed in. The machine will spit out the cash without calling into your bank to see if funds are avaible. Now the thieves have your info and pin. clone new card and withdraw more than they gave out from your account.

I got a 2000 dollar check in the mail from my "Capital One" CC yesterday, did some checking and sure enough t was listed on my online statement as a cash advance. They don't know how it happend they said they'd investigate and send me a letter on what they find in a few days. I think they sent it hoping I'd cash it, if so we will be parting ways. .
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

If you're former or current military, consider getting a USAA credit card. We've had ours for 30 years, and never had an issue of any kind.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    I got a 2000 dollar check in the mail from my "Capital One" CC yesterday, did some checking and sure enough t was listed on my online statement as a cash advance. They don't know how it happend they said they'd investigate and send me a letter on what they find in a few days. I think they sent it hoping I'd cash it, if so we will be parting ways. .
    With some nice, for them, cash advance fees :(

You must balance your checking account as soon as the statement comes in, check you card accounts online between statements, and watch everyone like they are trying to steal from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Still, I’m a former LEO and paranoid anal-retentive OCD gun nut
    You say that like it's a bad thing

Had some fraud charges on my Capital One Credit Card about a Year ago. Capital One promptly took care of it and I was thoroughly satisfied with their action. I check my Available Credit Balance almost daily just in case someone else steals my number. My credit card is almost used exclusively to buy premium self defense JHP ammunition on-line. It is hard to find the stuff in the Gun Shops and when you do they are almost never in 50 rd. packs and are outrageously priced.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I also have been ripped off like this.Airline tickets to Italy ,speakers from California ,the list goes on.CC company always made it right.Some tech geeks I know told me there are a multitude of methods for stealing information,if you use a card,your info.is out there.My solution was to check my accounts everyday.

I saw on TV where they have a device that can scan and store your card info from inside your purse or wallet,they just have to get the scanner close enough and IIRC it's about the size of a cellphone
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links