Lawyer Stopped with Gun at Airport

This is a discussion on Lawyer Stopped with Gun at Airport within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have a new law in Georgia that has only been around a short time.....Come on!?!? Savannah attorney Doug Andrews was arrested Tuesday morning after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer Stopped with Gun at Airport

We have a new law in Georgia that has only been around a short time.....Come on!?!?

Savannah attorney Doug Andrews was arrested Tuesday morning after a loaded firearm was found in his carry-on computer bag at the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport.

The loaded, palm-sized .32-caliber pistol, was found by Transportation Safety Administration officials as he tried to catch a 5 a.m. flight, Andrews said Wednesday.

"I didn't know it was there," Andrews, 63, said. "It was inadvertent."

He was booked at the Chatham County jail for carrying a concealed weapon and released on his own recognizance.

Andrews is scheduled to appear in Chatham County Recorder's Court on Jan. 26.

He returned to the airport and caught an 8:30 a.m. flight, he said.

He explained he had less than two hours sleep before grabbing the bag and rushing to the airport.

He said he has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and is the original owner of the weapon.
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

VIP Member
    Frankly, I believe his story but he’ll still get nailed though his attorney fees will be nil. I mean, I've inadvertently been in a place where I shouldn't have, and quickly though quietly found my way to the door before any harm came my way. It happens.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

True, true Saber. Have done that myself as well. Fortunately it was not the airport while trying to get through security...

I arrived at work early one day and a co-worker asked me..."Did ya forget something today?". I finally caught on when he stared at my belt buckle. There sat a North American Arms .22 attached to my buckle. OOOOPS!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Doc View Post
    True, true Saber. Have done that myself as well. Fortunately it was not the airport while trying to get through security...
    Yeah, the airport is a biggie and though I never stow any gear in my carry-on luggage, I do keep my gun stuff in the same general area as my luggage. I'm always anal about checking my luggage carefully in the off chance that a round of ammo happen to slip off a shelf into my bag(s). It would definitely not look good on a resumé.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I think I would remember a gun before I walked into the airport. I did get caught with a roughly 2.5 inch pocket knife at security. They gave me the option of returning it to my car which at the time seemed 5 miles away or giving it up. It was about $10 at walmart, I gave it to them and called it a leason learned.

That's another reason off person carry is a bad idea,It's real easy to forget something you dont put on and take off every day
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    I arrived at work early one day and a co-worker asked me..."Did ya forget something today?". I finally caught on when he stared at my belt buckle. There sat a North American Arms .22 attached to my buckle. OOOOPS!
    That's what I call comfort!!!

I too believe it can happen by mistake. Going to the airport is kind of like traveling to New Jersey! You have to pull up all your carpets in your vehicle and wand everything with a magnatometer just to make sure you haven't forgot an errant hollowpoint bullet that might have spilled out of your range bag.

Since I live in a rural area, most of my shooting is outdoors. One recent trip was 30 degrees out with a brisk 20 mph wind. When we were done, we just kind of dumped our stuff in the SUV rather hastily as we were freezing our butts off. Later I found part of my cleaning kit, a 15 round mag and about 6 lose rounds rolling around back there. Don't want to be caught in NJ traveling like that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I know this guy who works at an airport. One time this guy I know walked through the airport, had a chat with a few TSA folks he knew, said hello to the airport police officer who sits right outside the secure door, badged himself in and was halfway up the stairs to the tower before realizing he still had his .357 on him....Or so he says.

This guy I know then used the excuse "oops I forgot my lunch" and went back to his car and disarmed....Or so he says.

This guy I know was pretty darn nervous for a while afterward....Or so he says.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I know this guy who works at an airport. One time this guy I know walked through the airport, had a chat with a few TSA folks he knew, said hello to the airport police officer who sits right outside the secure door, badged himself in and was halfway up the stairs to the tower before realizing he still had his .357 on him....Or so he says.

This guy I know then used the excuse "oops I forgot my lunch" and went back to his car and disarmed....Or so he says.

This guy I know was pretty darn nervous for a while afetrward....Or so he says.
    Bet the guy you knew felt just like a school kid with a knife in his lunch box.

True and again. As I mentioned to Saber earlier today, I have committed the "oops" and entered a no-fly zone fully loaded. Guess we all have to think about it, especially when the armor is second skin...

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

This guy I know was pretty darn nervous for a while afterward....Or so he says.
    Which tower/tracon are you in? Or are you an enroute guy... I have a bad habit of when I leave my house I throw my carry gun in my laptop bag, but as soon as I get in my car, I take it and put it in the center console for the trip to/from the airport. I live about an hour away from sdf, and often times get home after 1am. It's not a great system, but it has been working for the past year, and I havn't messed up yet... If I do forget, you'll see me on the news.

How about that...an attorney who is going to spend about $3,000 for some Toro Feces...ironic, eh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got caught with two gallons of maple syrup on a trip back from New Hampshire. It was a sticky situation....really

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links