New survival thingy-madoo.

This is a discussion on New survival thingy-madoo. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So being the crafty guy that I am I've been messing around with making fire starters. I started by soaking cotton balls in candle wax ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New survival thingy-madoo.

VIP Member

New survival thingy-madoo.

So being the crafty guy that I am I've been messing around with making fire starters. I started by soaking cotton balls in candle wax (they burn pretty well for about 20 minutes) and have moved up from there. Next I took a much larger ball of lint and it burned for about 35 minutes ( not bad for a small packable starter).

If you want to try either of the above the trick is to dip the ball/lint into the wax. Don't just pour a bunch of wax onto the ball/lint because you'll get too much wax and it won't start properly.

So my last little idea was to fill an old soup can with cotton balls and fill it with wax. I lit one tonight to test it and it has been burning like crazy for about 2 1/2 hours now. The flame is high and wide and it looks like it will burn for another couple of hours. The trick is to only fill the can with wax about 2/3 of the way to the top. You want the cotton on top to soak up some wax but you don't want it to be solid. you need the cotton on top to be the wick.

This thing is burning well enough to be a portable camp stove. I could definitely cook diner over this flame.

ETA pics :

candle1.jpg

The flame is quite a bit higher than what you see in the pic but you get the idea.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Try Liquid Paraffin.

VIP Member
    This is Paraffin. What is liquid Paraffin?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Cool idea, do I hear sirens ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    This is Paraffin. What is liquid Paraffin?
    Its paraffin that is liquid and can be used in lamps like lamp oil but it burns cleaner.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its paraffin that is liquid and can be used in lamps like lamp oil but it burns cleaner.
    How would you backpack it?
    Mark Twain:

Although not for cooking, these are strictly for starting camp fires. They probably burn for 10 to 15 minutes or so. Here's a linky to a post I did on another board. I really like these because they burn up completely in the fire. Different idea for a different problem. Yours would definitely be better to try to cook over in a pinch.

http://www.carolinashootersforum.com...ad.php?t=79516
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have over the years used saw dust and bacon grease, dryer lint and beef fat and several other variations. During a power failure I amazed my then girlfriend with cotton balls, corn oil and a couple of ash trays. One of my favorites though is some tea light candles melted down in an altoids tin.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    Liquid Paraffin - It will saturate your cotton better, quicker & easier than candle wax. It is basically liquid candle wax oil.
    Actually ordinary VASELINE rubbed into cotton balls works quite well for lightning quick fire starts with a fire-steel. They light when hit with one good spark.

For Emergency candlelight at home the liquid paraffin candles (the kind that they put on tables at weddings ) are great. I have a slew of them.
    You can get ones that burn for 24 hours or even 50 hours continuously and they burn clean with no smoke.

You can make a wick by twisting a small piece of paper towel tight and laying it in some olive oil with a bit of the paper towel up out of the oil...light that & it "makes a nice long burning candle" just like corn oil.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    How would you backpack it?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I second the use of Vaseline and lint or cotton balls as a fire starter.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Liquid Paraffin - It will saturate your cotton better, quicker & easier than candle wax. It is basically liquid candle wax oil.
    Actually ordinary VASELINE rubbed into cotton balls works quite well for lightning quick fire starts with a fire-steel. They light when hit with one good spark.

For Emergency candlelight at home the liquid paraffin candles (the kind that they put on tables at weddings ) are great. I have a slew of them.
    You can get ones that burn for 24 hours or even 50 hours continuously and they burn clean with no smoke.

You can make a wick by twisting a small piece of paper towel tight and laying it in some olive oil with a bit of the paper towel up out of the oil...light that & it "makes a nice long burning candle" just like corn oil.
    We should re-name this thread ‘MacGyver Tricks of New Years Day’.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Dang, the things I learn trying to look at gun things.........LOL. I may just whip up a batch of those things myself. A fine idea.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

VIP Member
    OK the results are in. My tin can candle thingy burned for at least 5 hours. It burned until after midnight and everyone went to bed. That's pretty good for about 50 cents worth of supplies. It's also nice because it's clean, solid and it's not messy like the vasoline/cotton idea.
    Mark Twain:

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    What about dousing and relighting it? 5 hours is a long time in a situation where you need to stay mobile. Is this functional for multiple uses?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    What about dousing and relighting it? 5 hours is a long time in a situation where you need to stay mobile. Is this functional for multiple uses?
    Yep. It works just like a candle. It would need to cool a little though before you pack it back up (let the wax congeal).
    Mark Twain:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links