Coffee of choice?

This is a discussion on Coffee of choice? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, if I remember correctly, we've had threads on whiskey (or whisky) of choice, cigar of choice, etc., etc., etc..... Sitting here early on a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coffee of choice?

Coffee of choice?

Well, if I remember correctly, we've had threads on whiskey (or whisky) of choice, cigar of choice, etc., etc., etc.....

Sitting here early on a Sunday morning sipping a cup of coffee in a quiet house before everyone else gets up and we head off to church got me to thinking---what is everyone's coffee of choice? I'm talking coffee made at home--not the $4-5 per cup at the local coffee shop.

After trying many different brands and price points through the years (Maxwell House and Folgers to Starbucks and Peet's), I've settled on Community Coffee, specifically the Dark Roast. I buy the pre-ground coffee, but will grind my own if I mistakenly purchase a bag of beans. It's a little more than the inexpensive brands, but not near what the high-end brands go for.

What brand do you guys and gals drink?
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

2. Remove Ads

I rarely drink coffee but when I do its Green Mountain dark roast. I drink it black and bitter. I am more of a tea person overall though.

Distinguished Member
    I have a Keurig machine and my regular cup is Green Mountain "Donut House." It's kind of like a Dunkin' Donuts copy.

Cool

I have a Tassimo coffee maker at home and at work. I like the convenience of being able to make a single fresh cup and it helps to keep my consumption down to a couple of cups a day. I prefer the Gevalia Latte Espresso in regular and decaf but the variety they have is endless. My daughter-in-law loves Starbuck's so I got her a Tassiomo coffee maker for Xmas since they also offer single servings of the popular Starbucks blends. She says she now saves money every week paying less than a dollar for a cup of coffee she would normally pay $3.50 for at the Starbucks store.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I prefer to custom grind my own coffee. I used to drink Folgers Classic Roast, until they quit selling the beans. Now I drink Eight O'clock Original.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

With whole beans, a French Roast. 8 O'Clock does fine, or member's Mark 100% Arabica French Roast, Gevalia when I am signed up for it, which is rare nowadays. Ground for 8 seconds, brewed in a Bunn High-Altitude machine. My sister buys me Jamaica Blue Mountain when I visit her. If out and about, Loaf & Bun has some decent Dark blends, as does 7 Eleven and Dunkin' Donuts.

Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks.

R&G, I agree on the Dunkin Donuts coffee. I can get it in the grocery stores here, and it's darn good stuff. Just a little pricey when I like the Community Coffee Dark Roast so much.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Kona.....

I have a friend who travels twice a year to Hawaii...I have him bring me back a couple of pounds of Kona beans...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I buy whole beans and grind my own, just before brewing. The beans that Costco sells in 3-pound bags are what we mostly buy; good coffee and a steal at $14 compared to my "backup" brand, Eight o' Clock dark roast (about $5 for 12 ounces).

I take it black and moderately strong; Mrs. Smitty makes coffee strong enough to serve by the slice, but then she loads hers up with flavored cream.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I just went out last night because I was out and I picked up my fall back of ‘Tully’s Espresso Roast (ground powder) and I use it in my stove-top Italian coffee maker. Having also just returned from Italy, I prefer a coffee brand that slips my mind but it is strong and smooth. I’ll have my to GF send me some.

Moreover, I like the newer coffee makers out this year too! They bundle their own packet stock and frankly, it’s hard to beat if you can handle the premium price tag of the coffee packets. DeLonghi is big over there but the US badged machines work just as well. If I were to buy one today, it would be this one which is the same machine that’s marketed under the DeLonghi name in Italy. The cream-white colored machine is stunning in actual appearance.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...oMerchRules-_-
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Lead Moderator
    For regular ground coffee, the "old fashioned" pot gets Seattle's Best Blend, from Seattle's Best Coffee. The Keurig gets a lot of Newman's Own Extra Bold, and then some of what ever I've felt like buying, usually something "flavored" as a change of pace.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Finally a topic where I can beat the Americans...hahaha! I'm always extremely jealous of the cheap prices of firearms in the U.S. and all the cool toys you guys can get so easily, but with coffee...I have you all beaten now. I live in Costa Rica so I drink 100% organic and shade grown top quality coffee. I buy it bulk in whole beans and I have one of those Cuisinart coffee makers where the beans are ground and then brewed automatically. Amazing!

I highly recommend you guys look out for any coffee from Guatemala, Costa Rica or Colombia. They are top-notch and delicious. The majority of high quality coffee served in Starbucks is just coffee from these countries branded with the Starbucks logo. Just make sure that if you buy coffee from these countries, that the package has the "Rainforest Alliance Certified" logo on it so that you know that is grown in sustainable farms.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I buy large bags of Dunkin Donuts coffee medium roast to make at home. When I run out and can't get to the grocery store, I fall back on Green Mountain Coffee. I tried to go back to Folgers once but couldn't. It was fine before I started buying decent coffee.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I have a Keurig machine and my regular cup is Green Mountain "Donut House." It's kind of like a Dunkin' Donuts copy.
    +1 on the Keurig. It is great to fresh brew a cup, not end up throwing out a half pot and easily be able to move from one brand/variety of coffee to another or to tea easily.

Dunkin Donuts original. I frequently buy already ground, but if I am having company over I will have a pound of whole bean and grind it myself. The pre ground made with tap water is better than any of the $4 per cup stuff I have had in the past (granted there have only been about 5 cups of that stuff) but out of the grinder and into the filter and then hit with distilled water in a clean machine it is perfect.
    When camping I use the same stuff in a french press.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links