Issue with fridge water dispenser (possible gross warning)

This is a discussion on Issue with fridge water dispenser (possible gross warning) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There's been this issue for a little while where everytime I try to get some water out of the water dispenser, it has a secondary ...

There's been this issue for a little while where everytime I try to get some water out of the water dispenser, it has a secondary "stream" that goes behind the glass and generally to places where it shouldn't, letting water collect in the tray below. Today I tried it again and it was worse, streaming in multiple places where it shouldn't.

There seemed to be some sort of pink something on the tip of the water tube thing. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be there or not, but that was where the water was shooting out of. It was diverting some of the stream to the back/side/etc.

I took a toothpick to it and managed to get most of it off. Then I took a wet paper towel and managed to clean it off, using some vinegar on a paper towel too to wipe it down completely and finish the job. I also wiped down some of the disgusting surrounding area with the vinegar, too, which also helped to get rid of some of the water sports. Now it is clean and dispenses with no leaks! woohoo. Still need to do something about that mold/mildew back there, though. Also ran and threw away a few cups of water, just to make sure there was nothing left in the stream.

BUT, what is this crap?

Possible gross warning, this stuff looked sort of disgusting. This is filtered water, in case anyway was wondering (replaceable filter in fridge).

Here is the general overview of the area:

I had already pushed much of the crap off at this point

success!

And yea, I saw the mold back there too

here's the "crap"

What is that?

VIP Member
    Don't know what it is but I have found the 6inch Q'Tips with the wood handles work real well in cleaning the nozzle. Dip them in a little peroxide first to sanitize the area.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The bulk of that is probably just scale from minerals in your water. The pink color is likely to be a type of yeast called rhodotorula . It's pretty common and can often be found where water collects in tubs, showers too. If you're concerned or still just curious, take a sample in to be tested at your local extension office.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    One of our local TV news reports area restaurant health scores once a week. One of the reasons why the health department gives low scores is for "pink slime" in the ice machine.

Could this be your "home grown" version of that pink slime?
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I see that stuff in my shower head. We have well water.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Paul, I think the technical term for that stuff is....

funk.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Uggh. Gross, yes. I had some same color stuff growing in the bowl of whipped cream that I found in the back of my fridge today. The whole top had a scum of bubbly pink stuff. A little overlooked Thanksgiving leftover.

Hard water deposits are the only thing I can think of that would collect at the nozzle and effect the water flow. Most mold/slime does not have the substance to cause that type of problem. At least that's been my experience. We just replace a shower head for similar reasons.

If you have the interest in doing it you can put a water softner unit in that takes the minerals out before the water gets in your home. Kind of like a water heater, it's installed in-line. Supposedly it helps extend the life of anything that uses water in the house. We thought about it, but it's cost prohibitive for us right now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Looks like your fridge needs "DEWORMED",I just got a glass of water earlier out of mine,suddenly I don't feel so good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I wouldn't worry much about stuff like that in what you eat and drink...........I'd worry about what's in your stuff that you never find out about.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Paul, I think the technical term for that stuff is... funk.
    Nope, it's similar though, that's gak. Funk is green, mung is brown or black.

Spray bottle filled with Bleach and giving a few squirts. I hope. Fingers crossed.

VIP Member
    You got to love this forum whereby you can learn about kitchen appliances while viewing custom handguns. I just broke out my plastic pry kit used for working on my car dash and started prying off the plastic trim plate from the fridge. It’s truly amazing how cruddy it is under there. I already have the parts soaking in hot water with bleach in the utility sink. The nozzle isn’t readily removable so I’ll use the spay bottle technique but fill it with vinegar. Thanks for the tips!

Tune in on the next thread where we learn how to spay and neuter our pets.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

^^ Ha, exactly! Thanks folks, I knew I could get a great answer here. Whether it's figuring out my next handgun, or what the pink gunk is on my water dispenser nozzle, DC members have got it covered!

Links