Any of you Arkansas members have anything to confess?

This is a discussion on Any of you Arkansas members have anything to confess? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/03...he-sky/?hpt=T2 It has become one of the strangest stories to come out of the New Year and one of the most puzzling for scientists and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any of you Arkansas members have anything to confess?

Any of you Arkansas members have anything to confess?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/03...he-sky/?hpt=T2

It has become one of the strangest stories to come out of the New Year and one of the most puzzling for scientists and local officials: Just what caused 5,000 birds to fall from the sky just before midnight New Year's Eve in Beebe, Arkansas?

As news of the story spread across the globe, so did speculation about what caused the Hitchcockian scene. And as officials wait for the official necropsy (animal autopsy) report, we're taking a look at some of the theories that officials and scientists have suggested.

Weather-related

Karen Rowe, an ornithologist for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, said the incident is not that unusual and is often caused by a lightning strike or high-altitude hail. This theory could hold in this case, she said, especially because a strong storm system moved through the state earlier Friday.

Keith Stephens, a spokesman for the commission, told Reuters that storm weather, including hail or lightning, could be the culprit, but so far, he had yet to see any sign of injury on birds that were collected.

Rowe told Live Science that events like this have happened across the globe, and generally, weather is to blame. She said birds have been swept up and moved when caught up in hurricanes, wind can force them into a large object like a cliff, or large groups of birds can clash and crash in heavy fog, killing them.

Fireworks

On CNN's "American Morning," Stephens told Kiran Chetry and Jim Acosta that in addition to weather, local New Year's Eve celebrations may be to blame.

"We're leaning towards maybe a stress event," he said.

Stephens said revelers, "possibly shooting some fireworks while the birds were roosting," could have scared them, causing trauma.

"That could have been what caused their deaths," he said.

But birds don't fall out of the sky whenever there are fireworks, so what makes this event different? Stephens said that in rural areas, birds can be more concentrated. And if fireworks were set off near them in a roosting area while they were sleeping, such a trauma could have killed them.

Poisoning or disease

Rowe said it wasn't likely that poisoning or another illness could be to blame.

Since it only involved a flock of blackbirds and only involved them falling out of the sky it is unlikely they were poisoned, but a necropsy is the only way to determine if the birds died from trauma or toxin, she said in a commission press release.

Officials have also said that because the situation was isolated, and because other groups of the birds in separate areas were not killed, they don't suspect the birds were poisoned.

For reasons similar to why they don't suspect poisoning, officials told Fox 16 in Arkansas that the bird deaths probably aren't related to any kind of disease.

Air toxins

Air tests by the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality came back clean for any toxin, KTHV reports.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

Cool

I have been trying to stay up with this story and it is definately a strange one....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

On Fox News today they also mentions that in the same area there has been a huge fish kill. Thousands of Drum fish have died in the nearby Arkansas river. They report that is only the one species of fish dying. Seems we have two massive kills in the same area and both of them only affect individual species.

Michael

VIP Member
    This is REAL strange.

Administrator
    Now 100,000 Dead Fish.

Thousands of dead fish have turned up in an Arkansas river just days after 3,000 birds mysteriously dropped dead from the sky, but authorities say the deaths are not related.

An estimated 100,000 dead drum fish are floating along a 20-mile stretch of the Arkansas River and washing up on the river's banks near the town of Ozark in the northwestern part of the state.

The dead fish were discovered just after 3,000 red-wing blackbirds fell from the sky in the town of Beebe, more than 100 miles from the site of the dead fish.

Officials, who tripled the early estimates of the number of dead birds, said the bird deaths may have been caused by lightning or by stress from fireworks and said they were unrelated to the fish kill.................................

Yeah.. I supossed fireworks...spooked the fish too causing trama.

That's just strecthing it.....fireworks killing 5,000 birds....only in that area...no where else in the world. I let off $150 worth of fireworks where I lived at midnight....no dead birds. I live in the country were brids are all the time...no dead birds.

This is very strange indeed. Maybe local water spot where the fished lived and birds drank from was tainted.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Now 100,000 Dead Fish.

Officials, who tripled the early estimates of the number of dead birds, said the bird deaths may have been caused by lightning or by stress from fireworks and said they were unrelated to the fish kill.................................
    How do they know...if they don't know......*shakes head*

Sounds like a push to ban fireworks in that area. Keeps popping up....I'm not buying the firework crap.

Maybe local water spot where the fished lived and birds drank from was tainted.
    This would not explain why it affected only two species. The Freshwater Drum fish and the redwinged blackbird.

Michael

Cool

The plot thickens........

I almost bought the lightning strike and the high altitude hail until the fish turned up.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Here ya go:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ad-birds_N.htm

Summary: It appears to be blunt trauma from flying into buildings, etc.. Apparently loud noises going off nearby confused the flock.

I think its all kind of weird.

Here is the thing about blunt force trauma, birds fly, when they stop flying, they hit the ground, usually from a significant height. Wouldn't that cause all of them to have blunt force trauma?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hmmm. Still not buying the fireworks....they would be dead at the points of impacts running into walls or other things....not falling from the sky like they keep saying. No other flocks of Redwings anywhere else got spooked and died? I've seen many a bird fly into things....they drop and flop/die there....not fall from the sky.

hmmm....now where did I put my foil hat at....I need it now.

Senior Moderator
    Something aint right.
    And those excuses put out are pretty lame. I cant beleive that the powers that be expect anyone to buy into such crap.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

On my way home from work last Thursday, I witnessed a few red tail hawks dead in the road. I seldom see birds dead in the road. Odd indeed. I'll be watching this one. First I've heard about it.

I've been following this but as HotGusn said, somethings not right.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links