I think the cops were looking for me!

This is a discussion on I think the cops were looking for me! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday I went out behind my house to pop off a few rounds. Had the kids with me but standing off a safe distance. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think the cops were looking for me!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I think the cops were looking for me!

Yesterday I went out behind my house to pop off a few rounds. Had the kids with me but standing off a safe distance. The youngest (4) had been bugging me to "Shoot your gun, Dad!" so I finally gave in.

What I was doing did not violate any laws that I am aware of. I have been through this in years past when someone reported gunshots and a Deputy came to check me out. I was shooting down and into a large wooded area that is not popular with hunters, hikers or trespassers.

After I run through the first magazine, my oldest (10) trips on a tree root and falls, scraping his arm against some old fencing that is embedded in the tree. Naturally, he screams like he's dying, but it was just a scrape.

After the second magazine, I hear a siren. A Trooper goes flying past my house. I joke that they are looking for me. The oldest points out that he did scream after I shot before, when he fell. Hmmm.

I shoot a couple more magazines and the Trooper goes screaming by in the other direction. Hmmm.

I finish off the box and we head back inside. Never heard any more sirens. Coincidence or did I run the Trooper around on a wild goose chase?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In most places you need X amount of property and/or must be Y number of feet from the next nearest dwelling to legally shoot on your own property.

Usually, if you have sufficient land and distance from neighbors you are in a rural place where the neighbors pay not attention to stuff like shooting, and where they would likely not have heard your child scream at all.

So, I vote coincidence. But, it makes a good story. :)

I would try it again. : Hitch

You need to find out if you can legally shoot your firearm on your property (I assume it was your property, but you sayid behind your house), or you "could" be charged with a felony. You need to look at both state and local laws. State law often says you need to be a certain distance (200-500ft) from an occupied dwelling. Depending on the zoning where you live, there may be be stricter regulations as well.
    Shooting into a wooded area and not into a backstop is not a good idea either. Even though it's not a popular area for hunters and hikers, you never know if someone will be there next time you shoot.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Many law enforcement offices publish a minute by minute schedule of what the calls were, who was arrested, or whatever. It might be worth looking it up and seeing...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    I just told them you're not here. They said they'd be back.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Bwhahahahaha!!!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Not an issue out this way...even in Windsor if it was safe I could shoot my gun in my yard. But I don't have a safe backstop/
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Be careful out there
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Any legal citizen called in for doing something others dislike will always be the easy catch and be the most harassed. Catching a real criminal takes work and manpower. Make yourself an easy target, and you're putting easy hours on the clock for those who should be looking into more serious matters at your taxpayer expense. I've been the target of scrutiny before living out in the county. Last time I was confronted with a county deputy was due to someone calling in. He had many questions, and I had some of my own. With two back-up units out in front of the house, I told the deputy that violated my rights to get off my property, and the closest officer once we walked out to the road, to keep him away from the property and that my rights were violated. Next time, I'll file a formal complaint. My wife at the time is who let him through the gate into the back yard to find me and he was ready to draw on me! Asked me where my weapon was and the whole bit. Looked at his hand on pistol (Glock with factory plastic sights) and knew he was out of place. We parted our ways with the youngster deputy knowing he was out of place in my environment, and his superiors knowing I wasn't happy with the interaction, and I knew it wasn't legal. Such is life. Never be afraid of the law when you're doing what you want under the law. Know when you're right, and let nobody tell you otherwise. Law enforcement has better things to do than harassing someone well within their rights. I truly hope that Crawford county deputy learned something that day, the same way I did. Know your laws and how to keep the complaints narrowed down to the psychic neighborhood where you can prove by law that they've made a dry run and harassed you for no reason. That day will live with me a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I would try it again. : Hitch

I like it. LOL .... I might throw out some "M-80's" at the same rate you might fire a gun, and see if they come by again. That way, .... it's only fireworks.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Never be afraid of the law when you're doing what you want under the law. Know when you're right, and let nobody tell you otherwise. Law enforcement has better things to do than harassing someone well within their rights.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Law enforcement has better things to do than harassing someone well within their rights.
    Yup, like responding to a shots fired/man down calls.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Who owns the land you were shooting on and into para? If the land is national forest land, you did in fact break the law in the commonwealth. We can't target shoot on forest service lands except for designated ranges.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I was standing on my land and shooting into my next door neighbor's wooded lot. There are no houses within a mile and a half downrange, the lot is nearly a mile deep with a field behind it. On one side is a pasture and on the other is my cousin's gated wooded lot. I was about 100 yards from the roadway and other houses. There are no County or State ordinances against what I was doing, that I am aware of, per previous discussions with Sheriff's Deputies. I assure you that it would be extremely unusual for anyone to be back there.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links