wal-mart-employee-foils-a-shoplifter-and-loses-her-job

This is a discussion on wal-mart-employee-foils-a-shoplifter-and-loses-her-job within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Heartless Swines Click Here Spread the news...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wal-mart-employee-foils-a-shoplifter-and-loses-her-job

VIP Member

wal-mart-employee-foils-a-shoplifter-and-loses-her-job

Heartless Swines

Click Here

Spread the news
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

That's the policy of pretty much every retailer. Some retailers won't even let Loss Prevention stop shoplifters.

If she had stopped the guy with no further incident I bet she'd still have her job. But because he assaulted her they're afraid that she is going to sue them or claim workers comp. She probably wouldn't have done either but they're making a preemptive strike.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I know a lot of stores that have the same policy. I don't think it is right, but due to liabiluty concerns, I guess you can't blame them. However, the Company has thr responsability to
    make sure the employees know the policy. I hope she comes out of this with a better job or as she said a career.
    Just glad the BG did not have a gun. Could have ended up a lot worse.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

The told her that only "Managers" or "Loss Prevention" could try to stop a shoplifter. She was a CSM "Customer Service MANAGER". Sounds to me like she needs to lawyer up and file a wrongful termination law suit against them and make them pay out the nose. If that happens, I bet you all of the CSM's nationwide would be changed to CSR "Representatives" to remove the "Manager" moniker.

I "wish" there was some other place around here to shop other than Walmart.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

FYI, here's an update to that story. She's doing just fine. I doubt if WalMart's patronage went down because of it; after all, isn't this where we purchase our ammo and underwear?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

I've never worked in retail, so I have no experience in that venue, however, there is an inherent risk in trying to stop a thief. Unless I was the store owner, or my job description was to prevent shoplifting, I think I would not intervene.

You never know what's going to happen when you go hands on with a criminal. If the store has a policy in place advising store personnel not to intervene or apprehend possible shoplifters, then I would abide by that policy. There's all kinds of liability if you do intervene. The store has liability if you are injured in the process or if you injure the suspected thief. If you assault a person by mistake who turned out not to be stealing anything then there's also liability on you and the store.

I think it's best if you immediately report what you suspect, and let the person designated for loss prevention deal with it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I've never worked in retail, so I have no experience in that venue, however, there is an inherent risk in trying to stop a thief. Unless I was the store owner, or my job description was to prevent shoplifting, I think I would not intervene.

You never know what's going to happen when you go hands on with a criminal. If the store has a policy in place advising store personnel not to intervene or apprehend possible shoplifters, then I would abide by that policy. There's all kinds of liability if you do intervene. The store has liability if you are injured in the process or if you injure the suspected thief. If you assault a person by mistake who turned out not to be stealing anything then there's also liability on you and the store.

I think it's best if you immediately report what you suspect, and let the person designated for loss prevention deal with it.
    Pretty much a standard with the industry. My wife worked at an all night convenience store that allowed her to carry. Thing I always told her is that deploy only for yourself in time of need. Workman's comp won't cover you if you're working outside of company policy. There's no loyalty between employee and employer. Both of you need to CYA and do it alone. Rarely will corporate policy back you up. It's design is to take away from your personality and make you generic while you're on the clock. Individual thinking or actions are not allowed. Forget everything you know while you're on the clock. Stand by and be witness or be killed in the line of duty. Read the fine print. On the clock, you're an ambassador of the company. Due to the current economic situations, it's best to keep your job no matter what your moral perspectives are. I know it's a sin, but unless you are independently wealthy....someone else always calls the shots. Get a good attorney once you've been let go.

Lead Moderator
    My guess is she was told the policy at one time and signed a form as well. Too bad she lost her job over this , however asset protection are there and trained to deal with these issues.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Where was ghecko45?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    My guess is she was told the policy at one time and signed a form as well. Too bad she lost her job over this , however asset protection are there and trained to deal with these issues.
    So why didn't they do anything about it? Where was the Store Manager? I understand policies and everything, but firing someone for saving a company $600.00 and putting her life on the line is absurd. This woman should be given a raise.

I would advice her to get an attorney ASAP!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Asset protection is not trained to deal with these issues, and they are not always "there" when needed. Small insights into Wal Mart from an outsider who's not only been there as a shopper, but as a contractor as well. I pretty much lived in Wal Marts around the clock for a few months over the past year as a contractor. I'm not one to discuss their security measures.

Can you imagine how much cheaper your Walmart purchase would be without shoplifters. They are stealing from you. Should you go GECKO45? No. But you should contact the venues that you shop at ask them to be more proactive in stopping shoplifters. Yes. Or support venues that are tuff on shoplifters.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

What's with all this gecko45 nonsense? Who is this gecko45?

The Walmart I go to , if I go to one .... ugh. It was stupid to fire her, and not reconsidering it all. She was not aware there was a company policy against it.... slap her hand, and get her back to work.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Asset protection is not trained to deal with these issues, and they are not always "there" when needed. Small insights into Wal Mart from an outsider who's not only been there as a shopper, but as a contractor as well. I pretty much lived in Wal Marts around the clock for a few months over the past year as a contractor. I'm not one to discuss their security measures.
    Asset Protection is trained to deal with shoplifters. They are not always there , however that is Walmart's decision. The CSM sounds as if she was not trained to deal with shoplifters and potentially took a big risk approaching a shoplifter. She shouldn't have lost her job over this . However most likely Walmart is doing this to cover themselves legally.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links