Driver's license renewal

Driver's license renewal

This is a discussion on Driver's license renewal within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It has been a few moons since I have had to renew my driver's license. I got a notice from the state informing me that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Driver's license renewal

It has been a few moons since I have had to renew my driver's license. I got a notice from the state informing me that the renewal requirements have changed. I MUST show up in person and bring all of the following:

1. Proof of SSN
    2. Proof that I am a US citizen or legally authorized to be here
    3. Proof of my full legal name
    4. Proof of my identity and date of birth
    5. Proof of my current residence

or I can just speak Spanish.....no, just kidding.

My, how times have changed. It is actually easier to renew my CHL.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

WOW!!!
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Missouri went to that several years ago... It sucks.

If all goes well with the mortgage and such, I'll be moving at the end of this month, so I'll have to do a change of address on both my DL and my CCW permit. I hope I don't have a lot of extra hoops to jump through just to do that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yeah...I haven't renewed my DL since 1994....my goal is to retire with the same license I started with...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    It has been a few moons since I have had to renew my driver's license. I got a notice from the state informing me that the renewal requirements have changed. I MUST show up in person and bring all of the following:

1. Proof of SSN
    2. Proof that I am a US citizen or legally authorized to be here
    3. Proof of my full legal name
    4. Proof of my identity and date of birth
    5. Proof of my current residence

or I can just speak Spanish.....no, just kidding.

My, how times have changed. It is actually easier to renew my CHL.
    Somewhat the same deal here. Must bring social security number in the form of social security or medicare card and must bring birth certificate or passport or naturalization papers. The letter I got said nothing specifically about proof of birth date but that would be covered by the birth certificate, passport, or naturalization papers. Also the letter I got did not say anything about bringing proof of address. They might as well as for all ten and a DNA sample.

We have drifted so far in this country from not very long ago when a DL was exactly that, and not an internal passport or surrogate for a passport or required as proof of identity.

This is a direction we are all going to regret. Maybe it won't matter much to an old guy like me, but it is going to bite the younger folks bad. Real ID really needs to be reversed, but since all are scared of terrorists and illegals we are stuck with this. IMO stuff like this is a serious danger to personal freedom, and while it might be great for law enforcement, it stinks as general policy.

There should be no surprise about this stuff though. There was plenty of debate when Real ID was first proposed.

Are you sure that above all that it didn't say: Bring current driver's license or
    We've always had to go in person in PA (since I've been driving) and our old license is all they needed. At least a couple years ago anyway. I couldn't find half that stuff if I needed to, lol

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to the federal RealID requirements.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Look complicated but its not. Just bring your current license and a power bill.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

I have to renew here in FL soon. Same thing. The thing that irks me is that a Military ID, retired blue one in my case, isn't good enough to prove my SSN and who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I have to renew here in FL soon. Same thing. The thing that irks me is that a Military ID, retired blue one in my case, isn't good enough to prove my SSN and who I am.
    Don't be too upset about that. I worked for the State Store in Pennsylvania about 19 or 20 years ago, and a police ID and badge was not a legal ID to buy alchohal. The told the cop I turned away that if I had taken his ID, he would have been the first one there to arrest me.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

It's easier to get INTO the country than it is to get a driver's license.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's easier to get INTO the country than it is to get a driver's license.
    ...or be elected president.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Are you sure that above all that it didn't say: Bring current driver's license or
    We've always had to go in person in PA (since I've been driving) and our old license is all they needed. At least a couple years ago anyway. ]I couldn't find half that stuff if I needed to, lol
    That's the problem with all of this stuff. People lead messy lives and get separated from important and irreplaceable documents for all manner of reason from fire, divorce, foster care as a child, and literally dog ate it.

"Undocumented" has taken on the meaning of "illegal" but there are plenty of people who lack documents for many reasons.

I can not get out of my mind the predicament of a women who years ago posted to the usenet discussion forum misc.legal.moderated. She could not get a birth certificate because she didn't have a DL to use for an ID, and she couldn't get a DL because she didn't have a birth certificate. She was 35 and had not obtained a DL until her husband died. So round and round she went with various officials and she turned to usenet for advice from frustration. I don't recall the answers but think they were not helpful.

There are, especially nowadays, many kids who pass through so many his, mine, ours, and theirs families and homes, living with unmarried parents who themselves live messy lives and change partners, that when these kids get to a certain age no one knows for sure where the birth certificate is, or even who the baby's daddy was. It is almost a case for tagging everyone with a chip in the hospital.... works for my dog. :)-

I wish every state did this. If you can't keep the documents to get a license together, how do you pay taxes, or get a job?

I sell cars, I have seen way too many people who will admit they are illegal, but have a DL, and a SSN memorized. Failure to produce a DL would be the first step of the Arizona immigration law working, also.

ETA: My son is 19,and applied for a SSN before he left the hospital. There is no excuse for someone under 50 to lack documents.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I wish every state did this. If you can't keep the documents to get a license together, how do you pay taxes, or get a job?

I sell cars, I have seen way too many people who will admit they are illegal, but have a DL, and a SSN memorized. Failure to produce a DL would be the first step of the Arizona immigration law working, also.

ETA: My son is 19,and applied for a SSN before he left the hospital. There is no excuse for someone under 50 to lack documents.
    As a young person perhaps you don't realize that it is only recently that babies needed social security numbers. That happened primarily because some parents were listing children's names as dependents on their 1040 and IRS decided requiring the soc. security number for the dependent would make record keeping easier. The practice started out for this purpose and not for the purpose of developing internal passports and documents--- the hallmark of governments which do not afford freedom to their people.

Again, people lead messy lives. You will know where your papers are and where your kid's papers are, but many will not. People who should be able to get jobs, do banking, and go about their business without interference will be (and are) interfered with by
    obstacles which would have turned the hair of your greatest generation grandparent. It was common in the 50s for the right to condemn *and properly so* the internal documents required in the Soviet Union, and to laugh at the internal documents which were a hallmark of French bureaucracy.

We are going down a very very very wrong path.

Oh, the practice of employers needing to be presented with papers is also relatively new. We have in less than 20 years given up our freedom of anonymity-- to go about our lives without having to prove stuff, to prove who we are, every time we turn around. And we have achieved nothing doing this. There is still plenty of ID theft--- more than ever ever before when we did none of this. There is still plenty of employment of illegals. There is still plenty of cheating on taxes.

We have accomplished little to nothing but deprive ourselves of freedom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links