Emergency car blanket

This is a discussion on Emergency car blanket within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wife had to go on a trip in the snow storm today driving to Indy. She was riding with her boss (who is not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency car blanket

Emergency car blanket

The wife had to go on a trip in the snow storm today driving to Indy. She was riding with her boss (who is not prepared) so I put her a pack together with water, energy bars, toboggan, gloves among other things. I put 2 Mylar blankets in and a big regular blanket. My question is the regular house blanket was HUGE and took up a lot of space is there a good warm compact blanket available I have been looking all day and can't find the right thing that doesn't cost a ton.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Last edited by jbum; January 10th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think the best you can get is a Mylar Emergency Blanket which is also referred to as the Space Blanket. They are made from aluminum but they retain 97% of the heat from the body and they are very compact. They are typically used by campers or even by paramedics in cold regions where hypothermia incidents are very common. They sell them at any store that sells camping gear or online.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Surplus military wool/wool blend blankets can usually be had pretty cheap.

If you go with the space type blanket, go with the sportsman type with the nylon type backing. They are a little more expensive, but considerably more durable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Surplus military wool/wool blend blankets can usually be had pretty cheap.

If you go with the space type blanket, go with the sportsman type with the nylon type backing. They are a little more expensive, but considerably more durable.
    I packed her to Mylar (space blankets) and we do carry wool blankets in both our cars. I was just thinking since she was in another car it would be nice if they got stuck she would have something more cozy than Mylar and something that would compress into a smaller space than a regular house throw. The pack I used was a Gap sling pack I had laying around and it was really to full but at least she had what she needed.

Rather than trying to pack it, I would just make a compact blanket roll with a wool blanket.

That is what I did with the regular thin blanket and crammed it in the pack but they drive small cars (Cobalts) with sales stuff and suit cases for a week so space was limited. I just think there has to be a better solution. I am also planning for future air travel (God forbid) this is just something I have overlooked and can't seem to figure it out.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Good luck.
    Thanks bro I've been working on it all day. I think a down throw may be my only solution just haven't found the right one.

The space blankets are really the best solution, but pack 2 per person. One person won't need more than 1 but invariably there will be someone present - or a victim - who needs one. They don't rot, draw moths, absorb moisture or bad odors, and there is no arguing their compactness.

But yes, if you have the space available, pack a wool blanket. Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide usually have some sort of surplus blanket available for a relatively low price. Just don't expect it to stow in a small volume.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Zip Lock has those vacuum storage bags you use a shop vac to suck the air out and compress things for storage, I have a vacuum packed military cold weather mummy bag in both vehicles along with the space blankets, once you suck the air out they do not take up much room.

One more thing I added to the emergency kit this weekend are a couple pouches of QuickClot gauze, and they will be in my hunting pack as well.......

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...--------------

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Zip Lock has those vacuum storage bags you use a shop vac to suck the air out and compress things for storage, I have a vacuum packed military cold weather mummy bag in both vehicles along with the space blankets, once you suck the air out they do not take up much room.

One more thing I added to the emergency kit this weekend are a couple pouches of QuickClot gauze, and they will be in my hunting pack as well.......

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...--------------
    Excellent add on bro and thank you for your service. I have a (ahem friend/doctor) that supplied me with quick clot I wish they would make that more affordable for the general public i think how many more lives could be saved. She always has her fak with her no matter

I would recommend an Emergency Sleeping Bag:

Better than a blanket. I'd have one of each per person.

One large candle can keep an auto warm enough to insure survival in all but the coldest climate too. Don't forget a lighter or matches (waterproofed).

These have a three year shelf life on them ? is the that three years unopened ? I'd like to add that to the pack as well. Since your space is limited the space blanke would be the way to go, those wool blankets are the hot lick in the cold stuff. Nice thing to do for the wife
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

The best supplements to mylar space blankets are a few of the "Hot Hands" Body Warmers. They are small and lightweight, pretty cheap and are air activated. When you open the package they heat to about 108 - 110 degrees and will heat for anywhere from 5-8 hours. Tremendous space savings over a bulky blanket.

Of course if there's room, I always like to have a heavy wool blanket and or a cold weather sleeping bag, but when space is an issue, go with the Mylar Space Blankets and the Hot Hands Body Warmers. Of course a little redundancy is always nice in your survival kits.

BTW... the body warmers are a larger size than the regular "Hot Hands pocket size hand warmers" I forget the dimensions, but you can usually find them at Walmart, local sporting goods stores and always available on ebay!

Here is a link to an article I wrote for a couple other forums on How To Use A Mylar Space Blanket Correctly. Included in the article is how to turn your stranded vehicle into a toaster oven using two space blankets, a roll of electrical tape and a small alcohol stove.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The candle is there and matches. The blanket I am looking for is a comfort thing not a hardcore survival issue. She is not in her car which is prepared for emergency's she has to carry her stuff to another vehicle that she has no control over. She has the big 4 in her pack. I am just trying to make it more cozy just cuz I am a nice guy. The blanket I packed is cozy but to darn big I am looking for an alternative. As I stated before this is also something I have just started considering for air travel in case you get stuck on the tarmac.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links