Suzuki Samurai?

Suzuki Samurai?

This is a discussion on Suzuki Samurai? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've heard these were (still are) very popular and I'm wondering why they stopped making them? How many of ya'll have one or have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Samurai?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Suzuki Samurai?

I've heard these were (still are) very popular and I'm wondering why they stopped making them?

How many of ya'll have one or have been in one & does anyone know why they stopped production?

From looking at youtube seems like they can really get around in some bad places...
    For God, Family and Country!

I dunno why they stopped making them. But, they're king of the hill in the local UROC competitions.

I'd seriously consider getting one of those over the recently popular UTVs that are 2 or 3 times the price.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

They quit making them because if you forgot to lean the correct direction when going around a corner, they would tip over. Fun little car though. I have heard they are all the rage in dune buggies now, and people are scooping them up as they find them.

They are fun and pretty cheap to toy around with, because they are cheap and with some modest effort wheel pretty well. As for why production stopped they were dogs to drive on the road in stock form, I am also guessing the stricter smog and MPG regulations didn't help the decision either.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuk..._store=default

right there is a set of gears to make a samurai into a low range torque monster for 500 bucks..... great little "disposable" toys.

They are a blast. You can put $1200 into one and they will just about anywhere. When they were new they had terrible crash rating and I believe they had the worst roll over rating ever. But now for a weekend toy you just can't beat them. The wheel base is so short and narrow they can avoid most of the big rocks and ruts so you really don't need to run a really large tire.

I bought one new in 1988 for under $6000. It was fun, but underpowered doesn't begin to describe it. On a morning as cold as today, if you started it and let the clutch out, the transmission fluid was thick enough to kill the engine. When my son was born, I sold it, no way I would put a kid in that sardine can.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Roll overs.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Roll overs. They are apparently tough little vehicles though.

I have a Chevrolet Tracker I bought used. It reminds me somewhat of the Samura. It is very light, goes about anywhere, I rarely put it in 4X4. The motor in my Tracker is either a Suzuki or Isuzu, I can't remember. Mine is pretty ugly and somewhat underpowered but it is the easiest thing I've ever driven in muddy conditions. TIGHT turning radius too, my neighbor happened to be with me one day when I turned it around pretty quickly, he asked me sarcastically did I have a separate brake for each side.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Roll overs...are the main thing, but I have a HS friend whos parents have had 7 or 8 of them and they go FOREVER. They just seek them out. Another friend of mine has a brand new GMC 1500 Sierra SLT 4x4, and a brand new GMC Sierra 4500 4x4 and he says he would rather beout in the Suzuki any day. Says it is more fun than should be leagl. His is jacked up with big tres and such but he has a lot of fun with it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

In 1988 Consumer Reports tested the Suzuki Samurai and gave it a bad rap because it could roll over in a tight turn at high speed. Well, duh, that could happen with lots of the four wheel drives in production at that time. i'm currently working on a mildly modified Samurai that will have a normally aspirated 1.6 liter diesel engine from a Volkswagen Golf.

The Samurai begat the Chevy/Suzuki Tracker, which has become (after many years) the Suzuki Grand Vitara. I had a Tracker that I bought used with 102,000 on the clock and gave away (long story) to a fellow after it passed 215,000. Now, four years later, he's still driving it every day on his logging property and it's never left him walking. I'm still kicking myself, but I'm back in the hunt and hope to own one again someday. Underpowered, leaky, and Spartan, but still the best fun you can have on four wheels...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Senior Moderator
    This guy solved the Samurai's lack of power quite handily:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

4.3l twin turbo V6 from a GMC Cyclone....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Suzuki Samurai Axle swaps and/or wider rims/tires are a regular sight in the Pismo Dunes. With a few tweaks, they do pretty good.

My sister's boyfriend had one back when they were new and popular and rolled over in his doing about 30mph.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links